Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

Portal 2 Thread (potential spoilers)

So I actually beat this game a couple days after it came out. I guess that's how much I liked it. I'm starting this thread now because I'm surprised there hasn't already been one up. I mean, there's the MK thread here. Also, it was a fucking amazing game. I'd say game of the year, unless Minecraft suddenly goes gold.

I guess it's pretty linear, but that's something you have to expect from an FPS these days. Still, it had an amazing storyline, fucking awesome environments, and some of the most entertaining characters I've seen in a long time (even though they were all either dead or AI). The puzzles had for the most part a good learning curve, though I did get stuck a couple times. Also, just when you get tired of the same sort of environment over and over, the next chapter happens and there's a new theme (both visually and with new puzzle components) and it becomes fun all over again.

So here are what I thought were the highlights (*SPOILERS*):
- The whole wake-up scene.
- Wheatley, just Wheatley
- PotatDOS
- Probably the whole ending, including how you beat the final boss, just about everything after...
- The Part Where He Kills You

I need to play it on co-op now. I just need to find someone to play it with. The guy I bought a bundle with played a couple hours then went off to a con for the weekend.

So yeah. Portal 2 thread. Go!

Danarchy said:

The Part Where He Kills You

You bastard :p. Knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread until I finished the game.

Oh well. Portal 2: fucking awesome. That is all.

I beat the game 2 times.The first time it took me aprox 10 hours to beat the game(got stuck a few times) and WOW, it was such an incredible game!We won't see a game like this for a looong time, I can surely tell you that.

Oh and I just remembered that the lyrics from the turret opera were translated, here they are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz_0ebX-7wo&hd=1

P.S I'm in SPACE
P.P.S Oh hi!So how are you holding up?Because I'M A POTATO ** seriously I laughed non stop for 10 minutes when I heard that

Awesome game! :D

Highlights: 70s Aperture Laboratories. Laughed my ass off even at the logo during the loading screens. Also, any time Cave Johnson started talking. They can say in the commentary all they want about not looking for new memes, but he's the obvious one from this.

I was impressed with the whole game. It looked good, it played well, it delivered what I expected, and it supplied plenty of surprises and craziness.

I wanted more, but I understand that's a fine line to tread. Too much of the wrong component could wreck it.

Agreed. Awesome game, great writing with lots of hilarity, and good puzzles. The linearity actually makes sense here (after all, this isn't a regular FPS), except if you mean the puzzles should have had multiple solutions or something like that. A truly worthy sequel. Haven't tried coop, yet. I hope there's going to be a DLC with Advanced Chambers and Challenges like the first game had.

neg!ke said:

The linearity actually makes sense here

Indeed. The linearity makes sense within the context of the environment. I only have a gripe with linear levels in games where the possibilities for non-linear design are overlooked in favour of something which takes less time and effort to produce (Crysis 2 being a most recent culprit of this, though the full list is seemingly endless). Ka-ching.

Some of the puzzles do have multiple solutions. As did a few of the ones in the first game. I'm pretty sure I cut a couple of corners in Portal 2, but I can't be sure.

The game is really good at making you feel clever, even if the solution is fairly obvious.

I also liked how, despite one of the major points of Portal being switching up the environments on you, taking you out of the 'test chamber' scenario you were used to and throwing you behind the scenes, Portal 2 pulled EXACTLY the same trick, and it worked again brilliantly. I loved the old Test Chambers, even though some of the parts in between turned into "look for the two pieces of portal-able surface, place portals on these and jump through the nearest one".

And the humour was again top notch.

My only complaint is that the song at the end wasn't as good as the first one.

Portal 2 rocked, and I still haven't gotten to try out the coop yet cause people are always already cooping with someone else when I ask. So on that note, anybody up for coop?

Portal 2 was awesome. Loved the olde test chambers and the humor. Excellent test chambers and great visuals overall. Fun stuff and I want moar!

DooM_RO said:

P.S I'm in SPACE

http://spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccee.com/

AirRaid said:

Some of the puzzles do have multiple solutions. As did a few of the ones in the first game. I'm pretty sure I cut a couple of corners in Portal 2, but I can't be sure.

It's true. That one puzzle right near the end with the 3 turrets and the blue goo really confused me and I was stuck on it forever. I couldn't figure out how to get across the gap for the longest time, but to get rid of the sentry guns, I portal-launched myself at them, kicked the first off the cliff, grabbed the second one, and beat the third to death with it. So that was fun.

Also, there is that one puzzle with the multiple catapult things over water where GLaDOS sends a bunch of garbage at you the first time you press the button. Well there's one solution in this Lets Play (the puzzle starts at about 4:00):

But I actually managed to launch the cube through a portal so that it landed on the button and thus passed the test.

AirRaid said:

My only complaint is that the song at the end wasn't as good as the first one.

I dunno. I kind of thought that at first, but after listening to it a bunch on YouTube it kind of grew on me. It's not as catchy as Still Alive, but it has more emotion to it.

P.S. I want the fucking soundtrack so bad.

Danarchy said:

It's true. That one puzzle right near the end with the 3 turrets and the blue goo really confused me and I was stuck on it forever. I couldn't figure out how to get across the gap for the longest time, but to get rid of the sentry guns, I portal-launched myself at them, kicked the first off the cliff, grabbed the second one, and beat the third to death with it. So that was fun.

I solved that one by portaling the blue goo ontop of the turret. It's cool to hear that people are finding their own ways to work through the puzzles.

I'm looking forward to seeing some extra mind-bending user maps too!

Also, about that coop: Hit me up on Steam if anyone's interested, my handle is Krispavera.

Yeah there are lots of puzzles with multiple solutions. On that very same puzzle with the three turrets, I thought you were supposed to wall jump up to the excursion funnel to get back from the balcony, but it turns out you can also put blue gel on the ground on the edge of the balcony, and jump off that into the funnel.

There's also at least one puzzle IIRC involving boxes where throwing a box straight up skips a few portals.

ANYWAY:

I'd say it's the best story driven linear campaign ever created, besides maybe HL2? The overall structure is very satisfying, every single part, and the plot is just wonderful =] I love the song at the end even better than Portal's! It's a perfect length too; I'd say they wrap it up right when the puzzles are starting to get way too involved. The last couple of puzzles took me at 10-15 minutes each, and that's a bit much. Actually, my favorite thing is that they'll give you a set of hard stuff, and then they'll do some really great story stuff for a while to give you some time to relax. Hanging out with Wheatley is a lot of fun.

There are a lot of complaints that there aren't any hard puzzles, and I'd have to agree that none are super-hard. But there were definitely complex puzzles. For example, there are certain puzzles here and there with achievements tied to them, each one of them is quite long. There's one with gels that even now that I know how to do it pretty well, it still takes me a good 2-3 minutes to finish all of its parts. And the last 3-5 puzzles of the game are all very complicated, there's one that has lasers, buttons/cube, funnel, and flinging, and each element needs to be used in two different ways each. Hard puzzles aren't even a good idea if you want everyone to enjoy and finish the game. Complex puzzles, on the other hand, are a lot of fun, and satisfying for everybody.

OK, highlights for me:

- The Wheatley/GLaDOS switch
- The subsequent fall
- Everything Cave Johnson comes off with
- Wheatley's first few test chambers

Spoiler

especially the bit where PotatOS tries to hit him with a logical paradox but he's too stupid to even realize he's heard one

and the fact that they are meant to look like "newbie" maps with next to no detail and words written on the walls
Spoiler

- The final fight which is basically a reversal of the original fight with GLaDOS

and, of course, the song ;)

I really need to get the soundtrack to this. Not only were the songs fun, but the background music was awesome as well.

Epyo said:

Hanging out with Wheatley is a lot of fun.

I love the whole part where he breaks you out and you're helping him sabotage GLaDOS. When you replace the turrets and destroy the neurotoxin, you have to kind of think outside the box because Wheatley gives you no clues. Still, I had the idea to replace the template with a bad turret as soon as I saw it. Speaking of the bad turrets, I sat and watched them fail at the firing test for about 5 minutes. I loved those guys.

There are a lot of complaints that there aren't any hard puzzles, and I'd have to agree that none are super-hard. But there were definitely complex puzzles. For example, there are certain puzzles here and there with achievements tied to them, each one of them is quite long.

I remember there was one puzzle near the end of the actual tests in Portal that was insanely difficult because it took a lot of accuracy and twitch reflexes while you were flying through the air over a huge chasm. It took me at least 5 minutes to complete even after I figured out how to do it. I'm kind of glad there wasn't anything much like that in Portal 2, though the one with the goo and the turrets came close. It had more to do with just being clever than having FPS skills. Also, the boss fight in Portal 2 seemed easier than the one in the first game.

There's one with gels that even now that I know how to do it pretty well, it still takes me a good 2-3 minutes to finish all of its parts.

Is that the one at the very end of the old Cave Johnson test chambers where there are pipes leaking all 3 of the gels, and you have to figure out how to use them to get up that very high shaft? I got to that one at the end of the first day I was playing it, and it was almost 4 in the morning and my brain was nearly dead, so I had to just go to bed and sleep on it. While I was laying in bed, I actually came up with the solution, and it worked, so yay.

Spleen said:

Is it seriously worth $50? I heard there wasn't much content for a $50 game.

Took me 18 hours to beat single player and co-op combined, and I still need to go back for various achievements. Considering it took 18 hours, I don't know how this game doesn't live up to (or go beyond) the average modern snoozefest. Not to mention they're releasing map editing tools eventually.

Spleen said:

I'd agree. I thought it was an extremely good game and I'll probably play through it a few more times, but it was awfully short for that price.

Also... smooth jazz will be deployed in in 3...2...1...

Spleen said:

I'm tired of gamers talking like this. Look at the prices of all kinds of other entertainment that last far less long sometimes than even short games and keep trying to argue games are expensive.

Aliotroph? said:

I'm tired of gamers talking like this. Look at the prices of all kinds of other entertainment that last far less long sometimes than even short games and keep trying to argue games are expensive.

Also notice how many people pirate other forms of entertainment due to cost. I'm just as unlikely to buy a movie than a game because I feel they're overpriced anymore. The same goes for music.

I'm kinda laughing at the complaints here and there about the length of the game. It took me a little over 18 hours to finish single player and go through co-op mode with a friend, and you know what? I enjoyed every minute of this game, and I can't say that for the great of majority of games that come out these days. The experience, the story, the comedy and just everything never let me down once the entire way through.

Portal 2 wasn't boring, and it isn't a repackaged version of it's predecessor like most sequels to games are these days (that people unwittingly eat up - hi Call of Duty, I'm looking at you)..

I think Portal 2 is well worth it. I have so many other games that are the same price (when they first came out of course) that I have never finished and probably never will. Portal 2 was enjoyable from start to finish and I think the length was spot on. Actually I thought it was getting close to the end a few times and it kept going so I ended up being happy with how much I got out of the whole experience.

I also liked the end song as much as the one at the end of the first Portal.

Maybe they'll focus on that next. The Borealis reference in Portal 2 was a good reminder of the overdue Episode 3.

Just like the first one, disappointing and overrated.

The retro labs were the only interesting part. Most of the test chambers were dull and easy, except Wheatley's last few.

The 'humor' got old around the time Wheatley stuffed Glados into a potato.

Didn't notice much of a story. Just building some background for the HL world with the whole retro angle that seemed inspired by Bioshock.

At least single player wasn't as short as in the first one, though 7 hours was about as much of it as I could take. If it were 7 hours of retro labs quality things might've been different.

I can only laugh at the $50 price tag.

Belial said:

Just like the first one, disappointing and overrated.

The retro labs were the only interesting part. Most of the test chambers were dull and easy, except Wheatley's last few.

The 'humor' got old around the time Wheatley stuffed Glados into a potato.

Didn't notice much of a story. Just building some background for the HL world with the whole retro angle that seemed inspired by Bioshock.

At least single player wasn't as short as in the first one, though 7 hours was about as much of it as I could take. If it were 7 hours of retro labs quality things might've been different.

I can only laugh at the $50 price tag.

If I wanted to solve puzzles, I'd open a sudoku book, not buy a $60 game.

When my brother comes around next week I think I'll be giving this one a spin, as he already has the game and all of that. (I'll probably also end up buying it later) I liked the original portal, but it was really short. I've heard that while Portal II is still pretty short compared to many games, it's at least longer than the original was.

yellowmadness54 said:

If I wanted to solve puzzles, I'd open a sudoku book, not buy a $60 game.

ahahahahaha that is so witty and clever and no.

I just got the game off steam. It'll be an hour before it's done downloading though. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it and there's been a shit load of threads for it popping up on /v/.

Also is Cave Johnson an actual character in the game or is he just in the trailers?