Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

resistance 3 and the state of the modern FPS

I see, I see, let me put it this way,
The new ideas for games now are simply put- over used, and typically dont fit the game.

Let me put it this way
resistance 1&2- original story, gameplay, felt unique. Online play of 2 was 60 players (and R3 downed it back to 16) There weren't killstreaks or classes, so that prevented guns from becoming over used, it also kept boosting and camping down.

R3- Brought back the class system, killstreaks, etc, thus causing the same generic gameplay that has been coming out for the past year or 2, changing it ultimately from what I and others liked from the first two. This would also cause weapons (particullarly the over powered ones) to become used far too often, giving the player the ability to spawn and use the same over powered weapon each time he spawns. Killstreaks will cause camping, and for the most part will typically become over powered (gun ship, anyone?)

I'm not arguing to say the posts are not valid, I'm saying it doesnt fit resistance, and the trend should stop so that games would be less generic, and all not the same online experience.

But as I said, resistance 3 is not one I'm going near. Now Rage or DOOM4 (when ever) are the ones I'll be waiting for.

yellowmadness54 said:

But as I said, resistance 3 is not one I'm going near.

So stop complaining about games that you don't play. I don't start a new thread to bitch about how MMORPGs are all the same every time a new one comes out.

[edit: Since I'm complaining, you also don't need to post in every single active thread when you have nothing substantial to add. It might just be me, but it seems kind of tiresome to see your name across the the entire list of new posts, yet with no useful content in any of them.]

yellowmadness54 said:

Games now are just pleasing the new croud of gamers, the ones typically starting off from halo 3 or MW2. And now they are taking the same ideas from the last.

Of course they are. It wouldn't make sense for the gaming industry to spend its time and money catering to our small population of nerdy retro gamers when there's clearly a far larger market for CoD-style FPSes. I'm not a fan of them either, but you can't say the gaming industry suddenly has no integrity and cares only about money and that it used to be all about the fans, man. I mean, there's a reason that they called FPSes "Doom clones" for a long time: id Software hit on a popular gaming model and other people cashed in. And as I say, I like Doom a lot more than, say, MW2, but if millions of people think MW2 is a great game and buy it then everybody else is going to try and follow whatever paradigm it set.

The other thing that always bothers me is how "for the money" and "for the gamers" are always made out to be so mutually exclusive. At some level, if companies don't make their games for the gamers then they're not going to make any money. Gaming companies use concepts from popular games because they see a lot of people clearly enjoy games like that and know (or at least hope) that they can make the same market happy with their own version. And at some point, the broader gaming market will start to tire of MW2 ripoffs, and somebody will come up with some other idea that becomes popular, and then everybody will rip off of that. It's a cycle that's been going since gaming came into being, and has existed in pretty much any consumer industry that's ever been.

People always claim they want innovation. In reality, they really just want minor alterations of things they've already experienced before. Why do you think sequels are so successful?

Vaporizer said:

Talking? Don't make me laugh.

Now that you mention that, I'm surprised I put no significance on the fact that talking was mentioned in that list... In Quake II, the radio voices were really just to try to add some ambience to the game at the beginning. Because you're never going to meet a live and still-fighting marine in the game, they added some radio chatter to make it sound like someone was still out there and fighting at first.

If you really want a game that used "voices/talking" for actual serious purposes, go play Strife.

That "talking" stuff in Quake II was actually pretty cool, but it affected the atmosphere rather than gameplay. The only gameplay change I felt from Q1 -> Q2 was stuff already seen in Heretic or Hexen: inventory menu and being able to freely move back and forth between levels.

In Quake I, the full 3D environment gave you the ability to swim, which in some places was necessary, and in others you could reach secrets that way. There were also interesting 3D physics effects like the low-gravity level (Ziggurat Vertigo) and the wind tunnels.

For the most part though, Hexen did everything those engine could, except for real 3D. But it did other things too: character classes, hordes of monsters, better palette (more colorful esp. compared to Q1), easier mapping, plays fine with keyboard only (no aiming/mouselook BS), runs fine on 486 class machine...

40oz said:

I value yellowmadness' opinion because it's at least somewhat akin to my opinions on video games. What I'm confused about is that he continues to buy games, not enjoy them, and proceed to make threads about how much they suck. If you've really given up on the call of duty trend, then you really should wait about 5 years or so for the genre to dilute into something else.

I for one have different views on how terrible the video game market has plummeted but of course I learned that the people here are more than comfortable with having their wallets emptied for games that aren't as good as they have the potential to be and so there is no use in trying.

You sir got the words out of my mouth, I'm really sick of seeing the same shit pushed out of Activision's asshole that resembles anything COD related because frankly, they are saturating the market with nearly-similar games that has little difference gameplaywise and is not fun for those playing it who have their previous title. Different look, same(ish) gamerplay.

Wow, I haven't seen that last image before. That's pretty...special.

Um, btw, Resistance 2 does have classes and killstreaks of a sort (they are called berserks)

yellowmadness54 said:

well
-DOOM: demons, hellish maps, weapons, loads of enemie veriaty, easy to mod, large bosses, projectile weapons.
-Wolf3d- hitscan weapons only, human enemies only, no elevation, nazies. 3 weapons only. smaller bosses (still hard)
-Duke Nukem: humor, aiming, better textures, not so mod friendly, more weapon veriaty, more abilities and interactions, talking/voices
RoTT: wolfenstein+doom styled gameplay and level design. Human enemies but with sci-fi and action movie elements, some humor, large veriaty of weapons. More of an arcade styled game feel.
Quake: 3D, nuff said
Quake 2: quake with angled weapons, voices/talking, mission objectives, more fluid gameplay, larger maps, new (and way cooler) enemies.

You have no idea how many doom/wolf3D/DN3D clones came out following their release do you?

also

Quake 2: quake with angled weapons, voices/talking, mission objectives.

You're joking right?

Resistance 1 was alright playing the main story in coop, but Resistance 2 took that out for no particular reason, so not going to bother with 3.

Say what you will about Halo, playing it in co-op on Heroic or Legendary is a helluva ride.

Also, Call of Duty Black Ops was pretty good. Better than Modern Warfare 2 IMHO by far. Less game breakers in multiplayer, and a singleplayer mode that wasn't completely bugnuts crazy and/or trying to troll moral guardians nearly as much.

Also had one of the best uses of Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" I've ever heard.

Well truth to be told guys. Look, we had so many doom clones back in days, after a longer while the trend was pretty much over. So think wisely, if our doom cloning trend was able to go away after a while. So why Call of Duty trend would'nt? I mean FFS, all gaming trends pass away eventually, everything has a beginning and an end after all. it took years for doom clones to stop showing up, it will take a while for COD clones to do the same. See what i'm getting at?

Note: We may either love or hate the next FPS trend.

But those don't count because they don't have million-dollar ad campaigns behind them.

Processingcontrol said:

Its been like this since the beginning.

Capitalism

(kăp'ĭ-tl-ĭz'əm)
n.
An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/capitalism#ixzz1Kxg6Hpu3

That's the system with live under.

So I just finished watching a playthrough of Crysis(the first one), and I have to say that game nailed the story-driven FPS just about perfectly. It's got a strong story and all that, yet still allows for a lot of freedom in the gameplay sections (for the majority of the game; it gets a bit more linear near the end). I wish the general modern FPS would take that path in the case of story-driven ones. I especially wish the sequel to Crysis had taken this path.

yellowmadness54 said:

DOOM4 (when ever) are the ones I'll be waiting for.

However, I have a bad feeling that Doom 4 might end up as a CoD clone but with Demons...

Jannak said:

However, I have a bad feeling that Doom 4 might end up as a CoD clone but with Demons...

Hopefully not. Id's never made a CoD clone before (the new Wolfenstein was made by Raven, not Id), and Rage doesn't look like one, either. DOOM seems especially ill-suited to CoD-style gameplay, considering how much sprinting and shooting is involved in DOOM (which is impossible to actually do in CoD).