Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

Best TCs for vanilla Doom

So, what's your list of best total conversions for vanilla Doom? Not Doom 2, no custom engine requirements, pure Doom.

My vote goes to Alien TC!

Define what you mean by "TC". There are very few true TCs, and Aliens Doom is not one of them. There are quite a number of PCs, and the distinctions between them, and megawads that change a few things, aren't very clearly defined.

Answering your question, I'd say Hacx, preferring it over Batman. Are there others? I don't recall any.

Cyanosis said:

There is a Doom II version here.

Those are the same maps, I think. But it has extra monsters! I'm going to need to play this for sure. :)

I know people are gonna hate me for this, but I didn't enjoy what I played of Batman Doom. Although I didn't play enough of it to really comment further other than the fact it just didn't grab my attention when I tried it out, maybe I should try it again sometime.

My favorite conversion is actually a partial one, and it is STRAIN.

For nostalgia, I love Chex Quest and it's sequels, as that's how I eventually found Doom. I still like that games atmosphere, though now that I look back the levels are really pretty simple in comparison to just about every single Doom map.

HacX is pretty good but I'm still waiting for them to finish the upgraded edition.

I've never really gotten far in Batman Doom without cheating, but at the same time, I couldn't get too far in Doom itself without cheating back then either :P

Either way, it's a great showcase of the overall modding (not just mapping) potential vanilla Doom2 has in the hands of a clever and creative enough team, in a way that no other vanilla wad I've played has come even close to.

yeah, i really respect the work and the artistry that went into Batman Doom, but i didn't think it was particularly fun. in fact, if i didn't know it was a Doom TC then i would never have played it since it felt like one of those bad Doom clones from back in the day.

esselfortium said:

Either way, it's a great showcase of the overall modding (not just mapping) potential vanilla Doom2 has in the hands of a clever and creative enough team, in a way that no other vanilla wad I've played has come even close to.

Hmmm, out of interest, does the gameplay pick up and get more interesting after the first level? I actually got bored and lost interest halfway through it, and I know judging a megawad based on it's first level is usually a shitty thing to do, but if it does get better then I'll try it out again.

I think so, yeah. There's a pretty wide variety in settings, and a lot of unexpected gameplay/special-effect surprises throughout.

I'd say Batman is worth a single play-through to see the fancy effects and ideas that are achieved. I wouldn't say the gameplay is very good, and I don't think it has much replayability value.