Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

SLige question

Not that I ever plan on doing this, but when people post wads made using Slige, that mod or admin on that site usually says not to post Slige maps, saying they know how to tell if they are made with Slige.

But how can you tell, exactly? Is there like a .txt file or something that says what engine was used to create the .WAD?

Just out of curiosity, I think slige is stupid anyways, takes the fun out of making maps as well creativity.

Well, for one thing, the procedurally generated architecture is fairly distinctive, if you know what to look for. Oblige does it a bit better, but you can still usually tell by the style of the pillars, outdoor areas, key rooms, etc. It's not that hard.

Slige might also watermark the maps with an arrangement of invisible lost soul corpses or something like that, but I can't recall.

oh, I guess that makes sense.

I'm glad they regulate that stuff so well, then. I cant imagine slige maps being fun at all.

What do lost soul corpses do? I see them in doombuilder often and typically avoid them.

yellowmadness54 said:

I'm glad they regulate that stuff so well, then. I cant imagine slige maps being fun at all.

It's very hit-and-miss. Sometimes it makes really fun maps, other times you get a level that's too dark, with really strange placement of keys and other critical things.

I usually generate a full megawad, and then if a level is boring or lame, just skip to the next.

#!/bin/sh
cd /tmp && slige -arena -levels 32 && bsp slige.out && doom -file tmp.wad

I recently bought Rise of the triad CD plus manual, and got way excited with when reading through it seeing I had a random map maker for it on the CD.

It was...worse than slige. Maps were just crazy hard or didnt make sense.

Faithful I got it though.

yellowmadness54 said:

I cant imagine slige maps being fun at all.

I disagree. Slige (and moreso Oblige, these days) is a great tool for generating a quick set of fun maps. It can get a bit repetitive, but then so does playing through Hell Revealed over and over.

Also, I believe that Slige sets the starting sector as a secret, so that's another tell-tale sign.

The 'dead lost soul' things are likely carried over from the early versions where the lost soul left a bunch of bones as a corpse. As far as I know, they're just removed upon loading the level, but they can be used in DeHackEd.

edit: I do have a tendancy to dounle post at times, if thats what you mean.

Oh, I meant like slige maps for wads, not slige it self.

I thought dead lost souls were just there simply to be replaced for other objects like furniture or other decoration.

Wolfendoom, lol. Like when you kill a cacodemon and it turns into 30 different objects before settling on one.

yellowmadness54 said:

What do lost soul corpses do? I see them in doombuilder often and typically avoid them.

Slige places exactly one Lost Soul corpse somewhere on the map, and its presense is considered a dead giveaway of a Slige map (well, you could remove it but if the rest of the map definitively looks like Slige cruft, that won't save the day). Also you can make a perfectly legitimate map and put a dead lost soul in there and SOME Slige-looking architecture, too, just to fuck with nitpickers ;-)

thanks maes, your advice has once again given me aids.

Wouldnt fucking with nit pickers get the wad deleted?
oh well. It still would be nice to ruins someones after noon by forcing them to look for it.

Just make one huge massive map, placing those things in it for him to look for :3
quite fun sounding actually, but a tad trollish.

yellowmadness54 said:

But how can you tell, exactly?

Another way to pick a Slige map is by examining the starting room - it has a distinctive shape.

yellowmadness54 said:

thanks maes, your advice has once again given me AIDS.

Fixed.

yellowmadness54 said:

Wolfendoom, lol. Like when you kill a cacodemon and it turns into 30 different objects before settling on one.

I think you may have, um.. forgotten to load the Dehacked patch included with the WAD...

actually, no, that doesnt fix it. You arent meant to fight cacos in wolfendoom, but I tend to mess around in wolfendoom rather than use it correctly.

I dont really like some of them, and often they dont work right even with dehacked.

if anyones interested, on a semi-related note, i've been updating the original missions dehacked file to see what i could do with Whacked3, and found out making a new vanilla wolfendoom with bosses with the right weapons and so on is piss-easy, and quite fun.

I've asked Laz's permission to make a new Astrostein Scenario with a much better dehacked file to run alongside and it's been granted, so a test map will be up soon.

Finding an S shaped sector at start is one. Also as Mithran said the first sector you step after the starting one counts as a secret, as I'm not sure if actually the first one is flagged secret.

Closed, because a thread explaining the ways in which a SLIGE wad is watermarked is only liable to encourage some moron to start uploading SLIGE wads with minor obfuscations to the archive.

The reason auto-generated wads aren't allowed by the archive isn't that they're not fun to play, but because it is pointless. If you want to play slige or oblige maps, you don't need to download them - you can generate them yourself.