Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Dark Recollections (for Heretic) New Map!

New map added; E1M2. Quite a brutal map, requires mustache to play.

I decided to turn this into a mapset, however I have no idea or set target of how many maps I'm going to make, as this is only a side project to take a breather from my Doom related stuff every once in a while. So basically I'll upload as I go along.

E1M1: Where Serpents Ever Dwell
E1M2: Abhorrence

Screens:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?vporabzzt4b5zrb

Honest criticism / hate mail is appreciated.

Bad link (i.e it's missing a part).

To take it from the WIP website link:
EDIT: Link removed by request.

Thanks for pointing that out... I'll reupload it, as this version is more updated. Not sure what happened there. heh.

EDIT: Link updated.

btw Vermil, would it be possible to remove that link as that version is outdated. :P

Somebody appears to have only tested this Vanilla map in ZDoom; the Nitro Golem in sector 482 is embedded in the wall and hence prevents the floor he's on from lowering in Vanilla.

Also, there is a load of junk in the wad that's about 300kb of the file size.

That said, it's a pretty good map; might have made the lift near the Hell Staff a bit more obvious though. Maybe turn it into a normal lift blocked by bars and have a switch behind one of the other lift platforms lower said bars.

Thanks for the feedback Vermil, I'm happy you liked it. :)

OK, so Zdoomisms that you mentioned aside, would it work in vanilla without problems? I never tried testing it in that format as I thought for sure that the linecount would be too much for Heretic.exe and cause VPOs, and also I never was able to get Heretic.exe working on my computer. Would be awesome for it to be completely vanilla compatible though so I'll fix the zdoomisms for sure, and I appreciate you pointing them out. Out of curiosity does vanilla Heretic have the same restrictions that vanilla DooM 2 has?

I think the extra crap in there is E4M1, which is what the map looked like before I picked it up again. I'll keep it in there for dumb historical and nostalgic purposes. :) Or is there something else in there that I'm not seeing?

There are 3 versions of the map in the wad, the finished E1M1, the pre-pick up E4M1 and also a headerless duplicate of the finished version.

I don't know if the map will work on Vanilla Heretic without VPO; I ran it on Doomsday 1.8.6., but the maps gameplay, ZDoom-ism aside, is fully Vanilla compatible.

Link updated.

Changes
* fixed Zdoomism in blue key area.
* changed lift texture in hell staff area to make it stand out more, didn't want to change the way the lift was activated, as it does add 2 golems to the ambush.
* Removed 300kb of junk (not sure how it got there.)

This is an update of Where Serpents Ever Dwell, right? Cool stuff! I'll have to remember to check this out.

You've got 25 instances of an unknown texture called 'SUPP332' in the new map.

Two Nitro Golems stuck on each other as well; things 270 and 146.

ZDooom-ism; a tag 0 SR door linetype used instead of a DR line type one side of door sector 561. Also on both sides of door sector 236.

Thanks for the bugreport Vermil, I never noticed the nitro golems stuck in eachother, but then again I tested it in Zdoom (as you already know:). haha

Will get around to posting an update.

kmxexii said:

This is an update of Where Serpents Ever Dwell, right? Cool stuff! I'll have to remember to check this out.

You aren't completely wrong, :) Where Serpents Ever Dwell was just the name of the first map, which was always supposed to be part of a bigger wad, but at the time I made it I was uncertain if I'd ever make more levels for it (much like here) so I just released it standalone. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, man.

Gave it a full run(all items, secrets and enemies) just because I enjoy good heretic maps like this one.

Liked the layout, texture use and the intense start.
the only thing I didn't like was the slightly annoying music, especially over and over again.

Great map for anyone who likes heretic.