Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Alpha Paradox v1.0 (Beta Release) Need More Playtesters

I just gave it a play-through and I really enjoyed that map. There was not too much health, so I was down to 4% at one stage then I fought through and got the medikit I really needed. You did a good job on this map and it shows. And it really does feel like E1.

Good Job.

I enjoyed it as well. I thought it might have been just a bit easy on Hurt Me Plenty, but then again, I just got done playing Alien Vendetta, so I'm pretty warmed up so to speak. I liked the fact that you didn't place a shotgun anywhere, but rather I had to kill a shotgunner to get it. You looked like you contrasted the lighting well, and you made the level pretty abstract. I ended up getting lost a few times.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER(S)***
I don't recall exactly, but I believe the secret had a berserk pack in it. To me, it didn't seem to fit the theme to well, and I thought a chainsaw would have been better.
***END SPOILER(S)***

Anyway, overall, I rather enjoyed it as I said.

Yeah, I could have given a chainsaw, but I put the berserk in as it gives a 100% health boost that by that point, I assume people would need. Also, that was UV. I didn't balance for difficulty yet. I can toss in a few barons and cybers if that was too easy :P

DoomHero85 said:

Yeah, I could have given a chainsaw, but I put the berserk in as it gives a 100% health boost that by that point, I assume people would need.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Maybe a chainsaw and 4 medkits? Still, it isn't too big a deal, as the berserk does just as well against the pinky's and such. It was more about the theme.

Here's map 2 of this set.

Story: After getting through the front door, you find a maintenance shaft and crawl all the way to the end. You are let out in a large hall which looks to be some main hub of the compound. However, all the main doors are locked. Guess you'll have to find another way in.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l5deb4y14mt5nbb/Compound.wad

Pistol startable, UV only.

E: Runs on e1m2.

E2: I know I forgot to fix a couple of things, but considering I have decided to make a full episode of this, and probably add it to my other full e3 replacement, and possibly have a full megawad at some point, these will all be beta released levels from now on.

Hey DoomHero.

Just had a play of both maps, and I gotta say, they are both very good. The second one is particularly good in terms of design and layout, some really good ideas here. Gameplay was really good, and the progression through the levels was really interesting.

Ok. Nitpicks.

-HOM at linedef 951 on 'COMPOUND'
-Sectors 149, 152 and 161 need the 'lower unpegged' flag on the linedefs on the sides of those doors. (COMPOUND)
-Linedefs 486 and 489 the mid texture extends into the ground and ceiling and looks pretty bad.(INFILTRATION)

I thought some of the level texturing was very bland. In particular, spamming BROWN1 across the majority of both levels was probably not the way to go. And FLAT19 for many ceiling textures just looked wrong, especially in darker areas, where a dark ceiling really can add to the sense of atmosphere.

I thought a little more detailing in a few places would have added a more interesting look to a few areas, without taking away from the vanilla feel. eg:

The things I did. (Just some ideas, hope you don't mind me doing this.)
-BROWN96 and PIPE2 used n a few places instead of BROWN1 everywhere.
-SUPPORT2 strips to break up the walls a little.
-A few computer areas inset into the walls.
-FLOOR7_1 used on the ceiling instead of FLAT19.
-Raised the far right ceiling by 128 units.

But overall, really good vanilla levels to play through, I enjoyed these, sorry about the criticism. :)

Hey Kyka,

I like the changes. Actually, I find detailing a bit of a pain to do sometimes. Would you like to be my official "detailer" for the remainder of the maps if you find areas that are bland? Also, these are still beta levels, I'll probably go back and do some other stuff in them later after all 9 levels are done.

Glad you enjoy it so far, I'm having a blast designing fights for you guys. I think e1m3 will be done tonight, at latest tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: How do I find particular lines in Doombuilder to fix those errors you found?

http://www.mediafire.com/?bs56hom8e56fm64

Hey DoomHero. Here is a redone version of 'COMPOUND'. Just went around quickly and changed a bunch of things here and there. Nothing huge, see what you think.

I don't promise to do every level, but I will do a few of the levels, here and there.

Also, to find a particular linedef in Doonbuilder, hit F3, then go to the first tab, scroll down to "linedef index", then go down and type in the number of the linedef you want to find.

Totally cool if you change anything I did. :) Glad you liked most of the changes.

If you like, I will do your E1M1 in the next day or so, will post a link after that.

Look forward to playing more maps. :)

Sounds great! I'll try to keep the amount of work you need to do to a minimum. I know you are working on other things. Do you see anything that jumps out at you in that screen of e1m3 that you think I can do better?

Two more screenshots and a download of the first 3 levels:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://www.mediafire.com/file/72zzygi787t4six/DHE1.wad

Story: You manage to escape the compound only to realize the door you took didn't go further in to the base, it went to their trash dumping area and toxic waste disposal. Guess you'll have to find a way back to the main stronghold.

I actually started this one yesterday :P Gonna wait 'til tomorrow to start e1m4 though. Need a little break. I have all my ideas for the rest of the episode though. So probably by the end of next week a new e1 replacement will be ready.

Yeah, maybe replacing the blue carpet with a silver texture might help? It sounds weird but it works in a few cases, might work here, might not :)... I think you should also make the inside a little darker to give the map more of a contrast?