Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Playstation Network Placed in Glad Bag, Tossed Off Pier with Concrete Block

Seems legit judging how this mentions "the mass e-mail to PS3 customers". If they said they would not send emails to anyone, it was probably more like "we'll not send you a weekly newsletter" rather than like "we won't inform you when hackers find out that our development network requires no authentication and gives access to unencrypted customer info".

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

Reading this makes me wonder if many people will even use the Playstation Network when if it's brought back. This is one hell of a security risk and on top of putting PS3 users at risk financially, there's a risk that the leak of their personal information could put some of them in physical danger as well. I've got a feeling a lot of people will be reluctant to go with any online services Sony provides in the future.

I've been busy for the last week and a half, so things haven't been so bad for me. However, an information leak like this is really bad news, and there isn't much a Sony fan like me can say to defend them anymore.

Doomhuntress said:

So, is this only a danger for PS3 users, or is PSP users also affected?

If you ever had a Playstation Network account (like if you bought a PSP game from the PS Store), you should probably be careful.

Doomhuntress said:

Is certain credit-card owners affected more by this than others (Visa, Mastercard etc.)?

no, they have your credit card number reguardless of anything, if you had used it.

However, if this was infact anon, I doubt anybody elses money would be spent.

But I'd take some extra precautions just in case.

I may be one of the lucky ones, given that I removed my card details shortly after Sony beganm selling the top-up cards, and even if they weren't completely purged, they are outdated and invalid. It's the possibility of spam and phone scams I'm mainly concerned about.

Though you can bet your arse I'll be plundering the free Plus subscription for all it's worth.

Heh, I wouldn't bother, I have yet to see anything really worth downloading from PSPlus. Some ugly avatars? Crappy wallpapers? 50p off some bargain-bin games? I doubt Sony will put up anything decent. Anyway, after PSPlus subscription runs out you lose everything. The most you could do would be to download as many of the free games as possible just to harvest trophies in the 30 day window. Not getting my hopes up but maybe Sony might offer something decent for download, doubtful though. Also I hear online gaming via PSN is back tomorrow, but the store won't be available for another week or so.

edit: turns out the list of stuff is alright, but the full game trials only last 1 hour. (I was led to believe PSPlus members were given full access to select games until their membership expires) And you can't keep the trophies, if that matters to you.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=128065

Why do I get the feeling Sony's not going to be in business for much longer?

Craigs said:

Why do I get the feeling Sony's not going to be in business for much longer?

They have a huge army of fanboys who will always support them.

Captain Toenail said:

Heh, I wouldn't bother, I have yet to see anything really worth downloading from PSPlus. Some ugly avatars? Crappy wallpapers? 50p off some bargain-bin games? I doubt Sony will put up anything decent. Anyway, after PSPlus subscription runs out you lose everything. The most you could do would be to download as many of the free games as possible just to harvest trophies in the 30 day window. [/url]

That's why I never bothered with plus. Meh. Trophies are dumb. It's a pointless pursuit undertaken with the sole purpose of attempting to demonstrate status or vanity to others engaged in said pointless pursuit. There. I managed to describe my disdain for trophies without resorting to vulgarity.

POTGIESSER said:

It's a pointless pursuit undertaken with the sole purpose of attempting to demonstrate status or vanity to others engaged in said pointless pursuit.

You just described absolutely everything.

Creaphis said:

You just described absolutely everything.

Well this is everything else :D

It's with our ego structure that we arbitrarily assign value to certain things, while quantify nothingness in others. Zero is nothing but before it existed, nothing existed to represent nothing. Something had to be made, in order to represent nothing. Also to represent numbers greater than 9, and less than 0ne. Don't tell that to me though. It completely ruins the nuances of the original dichotomy. Also ignore binary because the zeros signify off and have no other value other than zero, but have to be there in order to make certain sequences of a number which might be something.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

Interesting - this paragraph appears to confirm my suspicion that people who've deleted personal data from Sony's network (or even closed their accounts) could still be at risk.

"However, information from an additional 12,700 users stored on a database that was retired in 2007 was also compromised, Sony said. The data there included credit and debit-card numbers and expiration dates, but not security codes, for non-United States residents, as well as direct-debit banking records for some customers in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain."

Well if that's true, then Sony is really pathetic. I can see some negligence suits in their future (which may not fly, since the courts seem to love big business so much).

I'm glad I'm not a customer. Last time I bought anything from them was a really long time ago, sometime during the 90's... A set of stereo headphones, and a 13-inch trinitron which was overpriced and not nearly as good as an Amiga 1084 monitor (all it got used for was game consoles and VCR anyway).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13256817

This new attack goes beyond users of Playstation hardware, affecting PC and Facebook gamers - potentially an additional 25 million people.

I assume this is still referring to people with their details on the PSN in the first place, and not some kind of apocalyptic super-exploitation of every known computational device...

EDIT: Whoops, already been posted

I registered for a PSN account, but I never actually bought anything off of it, so looking back, I'm glad there. However, I have friends who used it all the time. I haven't really spoken to any of them since this happened, but I'm sure they're worried as fuck right now. I can't see anyone trusting Sony again for a long while after this one.

Looks like Sony's stocks have been going down ever since the PSN attack.

Technician said:

Am I a prick for finding a sense of pleasure in Sony's downward spiral of failure?

I think so, Prick.

i was just about to buy a PS3 as my own 'moving into a new house' present before all this happened.