Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fritz442

Obhack 007.2 Released (Random Map Generator)

Obhack is a random map generator for Doom, Doom2, Heretic and Hexen.

As the current maintainer of Obhack, I will try to answer all questions and comments here on this post.

Download - http://samiam.org/slump/

Added: Icons(4) to execute file.

Added: More enclosures and minor adjustments to older ones.

Added: 'Gigantic' setting to level size parameter.(For upper-end machines)

Added: Multiple new switches to Doom games.(Up to 12 in gigantic maps)

Added: 'Infested' setting to monsters parameter.

New parameter: 'Quest Length' to adjust length of quests.(Longer works better in larger maps)

Bugfix: Outdoor area lighting more consistent.

Bugfix: Removed Spidermastermind from Deathmatch type maps.

And a few more minor fixes.

Awesome, will be trying this out and will report any erroronous findings.

I may have forgotten to mention this very minor texture choice in TECH_BASE looks silly having CEIL3_6 (gray tile ceiling with light) used instead of CEIL3_5 (same but w/o light), as this may be one of Sam's choices or even inherited from Andrew's v2 choice.

URBAN_STONE should use FLAT5_4 for floor/ceiling since it matches much better than MFLR8_1 (which matches with STONE2/3)

Another quick peek is melee only monsters having a cage_prob, which should always be 0 or not in their list.

There should be a high chance of health and ammo/armor in the starting room when using the Hordes and Infested monster choices so the player has a chance, especially from a pistol start on MAP01.

One of the new enclosure types took me by surprise, that was an awesome addition if you ask me.

Is Infested really adding monsters I set a prob of 0 (IE Arch-vile)?

The Doom 2 setting doesn't work. It still generates the WAD for Doom 1, except none of the maps show up.

Solarn said:

The Doom 2 setting doesn't work. It still generates the WAD for Doom 1, except none of the maps show up.

Works for me, you sure you extracted the directories?

Might there be a way to exclude the "Infested" option from selecting monsters that have a prob of zero?

On something with some of the box shaped switches, could it be possible to make them 2 sided and 128 units tall so they don't go all the way to the top to the map and stick out like a sore thumb?

The circular computer screens in the TECH theme could make for a good turbo lowering trap if you ask me.

On the enclosures again, you should make it so they match their surroundings (crate in a cratey room, computer stuff in TECH/INDUSTRIAL themes, matching texture in NATURE/HELL, etc) so they also do not stick out too much.

A lone crate in the NATURE or URBAN outdoor areas might make players suspicious at times but most of the times the matching enclosures do catch me off guard, which I like.

Mr.Chris,
I'll look into the TECH_BASE & textures issue, I have not changed that so it must have been there before.

Also the "melee only monsters having a cage_prob" was always there, I have made no changes to that either.

The health/ammo in the start room I will look into, it needs to be there.

On the enclosures, I do place them in matching rooms but also have them in the feature/wall pool,
so they sometimes are randomly dropped. I am constantly changing these types of issues.

"Is Infested really adding monsters I set a prob of 0 (IE Arch-vile)?" The 'Infested' option does seem to
add all monsters, I don't have any set to 0, so I haven't tested that.

The 'box shaped switches' are basically pillars, so remember to get a texture above the switch I have to use the upper_tex and it must go to the ceiling. And yes outdoors they do look a little awkward, thats why I mostly use the short switch.

Solarn,
I also haven't seen that happen. If it continues please copy and post the config file, so I can try to duplicate it.

Them Gigantic levels w/ Infested monster count AND Longer quests take a long time, one level took me nearly 95 minutes to complete. I also used the More setting for outdoors too, heh.

Good stuff for time wasting.

Starting in an outdoor area on a pistol start is really rough, I died countless times until I was able to arm myself sufficiently.

What about a "Random" choice for level size, with the Prog/Expansion option to set the maximum size?

Mr.Chris
"What about a "Random" choice for level size"

I think this would work for single levels but for an episode or full game, this would cause too many problems.

You could add "slaughter" To monster count option where certain rooms are filled to the brim with one type of monster. Maybe make it so that arch-viles, cyber-demons, and spiders are exceptions and they are groups of 4 - 8 or something.

Fritz442 said:
I think this would work for single levels but for an episode or full game, this would cause too many problems. [/B]

Why would it? It works fine under the v3 and v4 codebases..

DoomHero85 said:

You could add "slaughter" To monster count option where certain rooms are filled to the brim with one type of monster. Maybe make it so that arch-viles, cyber-demons, and spiders are exceptions and they are groups of 4 - 8 or something.

Doesn't "Insane" already do that? "Slaughter" implies maps such as HolyHell 1.5(?), Hell Revealed, Hell Revealed 2 and the Alien Vendetta megawads.

That would imply even more monsters than Infested and an appropriate amount of health/armor/ammo to survive, which doesn't appear to place green or blue armor enough since they are quest items, unless there are some exception modifications for the really crazy skills.

No Insane doesn't do that. Load up a map with it. btw, when you do choose insane, it ramps up how much ammo and health are spawned to an amount you'll never need.

Could it be possible to set up the occasional enclosure to open up monster closets upon picking up a key or weapon? It doesn't have to be in the immediate room but could also be on the way back towards the keyed door.

This could be the addition of the "Traps" setting as seen in v3/v4 (but not set up yet for 4), no?

What about random marine corpses (both normal and gibbed) so having them placed in the theme scenery is not needed based on the type of theme used? Of course using TECH would have them more often than say, HELL or CAVE. This would look very nice when used with Doom's episode 1 and 2 since they're set in techbase setting.

If I didn't ask, did I speak about X and Y alignment with textures, especially when floor/ceiling heights occur for the latter?

Is there any way to adjust the "Infested" setting via LUA altering so it places even more monsters? I'm just one of those folks who likes being swimming in blood and walking over piles of corpses in every room and corridor.

(The previous sentence where this is was resolved in one of my newer posts)

Stronger weapons should show sooner as the bigger monsters are used

Yet another idea, the exit door light could sometimes randomly flick (sector type 1), same with the Obhack watermark pictures on walls.

You know the outdoor fences with the blue torches? Might it be possible to spice it up by having the torches red or green as well?

If I did not ask about this before, are teleporters possible reimplement? (I think the idea was thought upon on Oblige v2 later on but scrapped methinks)

Might it be possible to control how often hallways can be used? What about alcoves and high grounds that make the map seem more nonlinear?

When using a light setting that has lower lighting for outdoor areas, the "natural" prefabs (ground pond holes) retain the higher light level set in the LUA I believe.

Might there be a way to stop the "floating liquids" issue? This is when a liquid sector is higher than a solid ground and has the liquidfall going down onto it. Maybe a little ledge to make it look more like a pool/pond if possible?

Outside alcoves should always have the same lighting level as the adjacent outdoor area when using "Random" for lighting level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?uthop0v1qihh9v9

Here is an updated version of the x_doom#.lua files for you Fritz, I haven't gotten any errors building maps so far but you might wanna double check everything.

I removed the redundant theme entries and made all the ones that had a chance of dead marine bodies to be the normal entries. I added two new indoor urban themes based off the outdoor versions and added a chance for the hanging bodies to be used in the hell and cave themes.

I also believe the inclusion of the alternate Doom1 game choice is redundant since it is old and outdated.

PS: On the starting weapon choice, there is only Pistol, Shotgun and RL but no Chaingun. You should fix this.

PS #2: In x_doom1.lua under DM_HALLWAYS under BROWN1, it lacks a proper step texture and looks silly using the wall texture, so STEP4 looks best in the situation as I discovered this after uploading the above for you Fritz.

Also, here are two SP_ROCK1 themes for use, one for NATURE and one for CAVE, both added after upload:

NAT_SPROCK =
  {
    theme_probs = { NATURE=50 } ,
    outdoor = true,
    mat_pri = 3,

wall  = "SP_ROCK1",
    floor = "MFLR8_3",
    ceil  = "MFLR8_3",

--  void = "BROWNPIP",
    step = "SP_ROCK1",
    lift = "SUPPORT3",
--    pillar = "BROWN1",  -- was "BRONZE2" (not in doom 1)

lift_floor = "CEIL5_2",

scenery = { brown_stub=15, burnt_tree=20, big_tree=10, dead_player=2, gibbed_player=1, gibs=1, skull_pole=1, skull_kebab=1 },
    good_liquid = "water",
    bad_liquid = "lava",

door_probs = { out_diff=75, combo_diff=10, normal=5 }
  },

CAVE_SPROCK =
  {
    theme_probs = { CAVE=50 },
    mat_pri = 3,

wall  = "SP_ROCK1",
    floor = "MFLR8_3",
    ceil  = "MFLR8_3",

arch  = "arch_hole",
    scenery = { red_torch=20, red_torch_sm=10, green_torch=20, green_torch_sm=10, blue_torch=20, blue_torch_sm=10, dead_player=2, gibbed_player=1, gibs=1, impaled_human=2, impaled_twitch=1, skull_kebab=1, skull_pole=1 },

sc_fabs = { stalagmite_MED=90, secret_enclosure_4_Normal=50, other=10 },
  },
MIDSPACE should be used for cages/windows/alcoves when used for the TECH/INDUSTRIAL themes.

Could there be a way to control the amount of hallways generated and maybe more rooms connected to them, as having more than 3-4 hallways put together gets tedious to see over and over.

I've just made two maps using this tool and I had a few problems.

Map 1 was set to "random" light level and the entire map was pitch black. It would have been a good slaughterfest if I could see where anyone was.

Map 2 was a small map and I set the light level to high. When I saw what the map looked like I wished it was pitch black again.

There were two Chaingunners in a secret room. They were deployed inside a crate. When I clicked "use" on the crate, it lowered like a lift, immediately releasing the Chaingunners - but the lift effect was pointless since there was nothing on top of the crate and nowhere to jump to from the top of the crate.

That said, it's still an impressive tool and could provide someone with a serious challenge if they were very careful to pick exactly the right settings. I'm just off to make a 3rd map and see if I can generate something at Hell Revealed difficulty... even though HR always beats me on UV.

Oh dear... I just generated a level with five Revenants, three zombies and a Cyberdemon in the starting room, along with about 14 stimpacks, several medikits and a few boxes of bullets... but no weapons. In fact there weren't any weapons in the entire map!

EDIT: The light level was set to Medium and some of the rooms were too dark.

MajorRawne said:

Oh dear... I just generated a level with five Revenants, three zombies and a Cyberdemon in the starting room, along with about 14 stimpacks, several medikits and a few boxes of bullets... but no weapons. In fact there weren't any weapons in the entire map!

EDIT: The light level was set to Medium and some of the rooms were too dark.

I am betting this was an outside area, no?

No mate, I think the entire map was indoors. I didn't make it very far without cheating, as you can imagine. I've heard of pistol starts but completing the entire map with a pistol is something else ;)

I'll keep on pushing it to see what other weird effects I can get; trying to break it will hopefully give the creators some idead of what to work on.

EDIT: i've still got this barmy no-weapons map if someone wants a go.

Sorry chaps but I think this thing is broken. The ammo and health deployment is terrible, with strange diagonal arrangements of stimpacks and daisy chains of bullets. The distinctive placement of equipment was fun at first but it now grates as it does not appear random enough and it occurs in every single room.

I'm grumbling mainly because I created another super-hard level and had to fight a Cyberdemon and Revenants with a single-barrelled shotgun (which the Cyberdemon was camped on top of) and had to run through half the level to find a super shotgun. By this point I had 300 plasma, 200 bullets and about 30 shells which ran out immediately. I was then trapped in a room whose only exit was blocked by a Cyberdemon which was too tall to get through the door and wide enough to block my escape, with an empty shotgun and a loaded pistol... sorry mate, this thing needs a LOT of work. For a start the super-hard maps need weapons in the start room or very nearby. You don't play Hell Revealed with a pistol.

EDIT: How do I make videos to show you these levels?

EDIT 2: Never mind - http://www.mediafire.com/?1ag0ori3pruka4c

EDIT 3: Here is the map, sorry - http://www.mediafire.com/?m8p0v094qbr2m1t

I realise I missed the shotgun near the start - I'm sure that it was up the stairs to the right, which is the reason my playing is a bit confused at that point. There are a couple of LOL moments but I did a lot better this time than the first time I played it.

If you want people to recreate the wad to point the stuff out, open the generated file, view the OBLIGEDAT and copypaste the data.

How do I do that? If you mean I need to open the wad file, I've got XWE on my computer but it won't work any more.

Srry all, I have been out of town. Let me go through these and will reply in a day or two.

Mr.Chris:
"Could it be possible to set up the occasional enclosure to open up monster closets upon picking up a key or weapon?" No not at this time, I have been testing different things but nothing I'm satisfied with yet.

The alignment issue has always been there, but will try.

"Is there any way to adjust the "Infested" setting via LUA altering so it places even more monsters?"
We can turn it up but if you look at the end of the 'logs.txt' file, you'll see many monsters it couldn't find places for so this will get worse.

"You know the outdoor fences with the blue torches?" I will look into that.

"Are teleporters possible reimplement?" Yes they were scrapped, but I'm always trying to get them to work.

"Might it be possible to control how often hallways can be used?"
This is a good idea, I don't want to not use them but working on a way to regulate them a bit.

"When using a light setting that has lower lighting for outdoor areas, the "natural" prefabs (ground pond holes) retain the higher light level set in the LUA I believe."
Yes, the lighting used in prefabs is written when the prefab is drawn and I cannot change that when different
lighting is used.

"Might there be a way to stop the "floating liquids" issue?"
That also is in the v2 code and very hard for me to fix.

"Here is updated version of the x_doom#.lua files" Thank you Mr.Chris,
I have installed these and have no errors either.
I'm not exactly sure where to put the two SP_ROCK1 themes? I'm not to good at themes, as you know.
I have fixed the "steps in DM_HALLWAYS under BROWN1" issue.

"PS: On the starting weapon choice, there is only Pistol, Shotgun and RL but no Chaingun." Actually in ver 6xx I had it as a start weapon, but removed it. I can easily reinstall that.

MajorRawne:
I'm sorry you had so many issues with this, I make almost all my maps with 'random lighting' and although it's not perfect by no means, it seems to work ok.

-- Settings --
seed = 5639
game = doom2
port = nolimit
mode = sp
length = single

-- Adjustments --
size = large
maxsize = huge
steep = some
puzzles = less
mons = insane
health = normal
ammo = normal
outdoors = more
iweapon = none
switches = both
keytype = skulls
roomsize = large
lighting = random
enclosure = true
questlength = normal

I also see from the 'random2' map you made, you have monsters=insane with no weapons!. Although some of these maps are able to finish sucessfully, MANY are not without the +weapons. With '+weapons', all weapons are availible but not fully loaded.

I also noticed in the map that you got the 1 of about 100 maps built with no start pedestal so you won't get weapons anyway, this doesn't happen very often and I am working on that.
If your still having issues with the lighting, just set it to 'none' it will be back to v2 code.

Cool stuff.

Those two themes go in the CAVE and NATURE spots.

Thanks mate, I was trying to get a Hell Revealed type map and I selected "Insane!" as you said. I did see the "Insane + weapons" but I thought that would mean an insane amount of guns like an old Fiffy map, I didn't realise it meant deployment of weapons in the start area.

I'll give this another try with the correct settings, thanks mate.

Obhack is pretty good for the level i made with it.
but, like somone said on this forum it needs more work or at least
place a shotgun, or rocket lancher very near the player.

I did, I choose the rocket launcher and I didn't get the weapon at all during level.

then I tried using the shotgun as the starting weapon and I got the shotgun.

for some reason the rocket launcher one, doesn't work.