Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

Engine with support for high-resolution sprites

I'm thinking about experimenting with a modern Doom engine and a few renders from Poser. Do you guys recommend any engine with support for high-resolution sprites? Also, a good and friendly editor? Most editors seem outdated and with no support for high-res graphics.

mmx said:

Do you guys recommend any engine with support for high-resolution sprites?

Lost of them; in no particular order: PrBoom+ in OpenGL mode, ZDoom (paletted graphics), GZDoom, probably also Doomsday and Risen3D (not sure about tthe later two), and likely others. Also, all of these except for PrBoom+ support 3D models.

mmx said:

Also, a good and friendly editor? Most editors seem outdated and with no support for high-res graphics.

So don't use most editors. ;) I think that Slade3 isn't outdated. (builds, official site)

Does slade allow me to edit the enemy sprites, as well weapon sprites, without fixing me to a default screen width/height?

Eternity allows sprite scaling, from a source graphic that seems to be max 200x200 in size.

Mordeth said:

Eternity allows sprite scaling, from a source graphic that seems to be max 200x200 in size.

You should be able to use much larger sprites than that if you import your graphics using Slade 3.0 or another editor that supports DeepSea's tall patch format, which Eternity supports. Just convert them to Doom patches/graphic format/whatever it calls them, and if they exceed 255 units in height, Slade will automatically use the tall patch format for them.

The effective size limit on tall patches, if there is one, seems to be large enough to be irrelevant. :)

I suspected that was the case, since I didn't use Slade to import them. Thanks for the tip! :)