Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Confusing things in DOOM

The various bad guy hitscan attacks all have the same accuracy, except the Sargeant/Spider Demon attack fires 3 at once vs the others only firing 1.

The Doom2 manual does state that the Spider Demon has a "super chaingun", whereas the Heavy Weapon Dude is simply stated to have a chaingun.

rocket propelled flame-throwers {...} barrage of shotguns

Did I miss something? When did this obsession with launching firearms come about? I'm struggling with the possibility of a rocket propelled flame-thrower functioning like anything other than a water hose with the pressure turned up.

Confusing things in Doom. There are plenty, for sure, but most of them can safely be refuted with the realization that it's a game and not at all that representative of reality... unless of course you're talking about continuity and such, in which case the confusions are even more numerous (what's so special about the Commando that he gets to keep his weapon in the final death frame and the Sergeant doesn't?). With a bit of digging around I could really only come up with one that actually bothered me a little bit, and that was the BFG flash emanating from behind the muzzle rather than in front of it.

Barmy.

HWGuy said:

I never understood why the sound effects for PSX and N64 Doom were changed from the PC.

There was some sort of trouble reusing Bobby Prince's stuff, for whatever reason, so all of his custom sounds were replaced.

I remember reading this in an interview with Aubrey Hodges but I forget where now, so I can't link to it. I only remember it because I had never heard that the PSX port guys couldn't reuse the original sounds before; I always thought it was their personal choice to replace them.

Whatever the issue was, it must've either been cleared up before the newer ports that do reuse the sounds, or completely forgotten about.

HWGuy said:

I never understood why the sound effects for PSX and N64 Doom were changed from the PC.

I think I'm the only person on here that thinks both the music and sounds in Doom-O-Playstation/Doom 64 were superior to that of the original games.

DoomUK said:

I think I'm the only person on here that thinks both the music and sounds in Doom-O-Playstation/Doom 64 were superior to that of the original games.

I actually hear people say this a lot. I'm divided on it, personally. Some of Aubrey Hodges' sound effects are better than Bobby Prince's, and some are worse. And you can't even compare the music.

I think both of them fit in Doom 64 perfectly. It's PSX Doom with its mixed resources that weirds me out a bit.

Megamur said:

4. There's a sector effect that causes a sector's ceiling to raise like a door, five minutes after a level begins. It does this one time, stays open briefly--for the same amount of time as a standard "door open close" door--and then closes forever... What's the point of this thing?

It could also be used in conjunction with a boom conveyor belt to trigger something else happening, such as teleporting exploding barrels and crushers to simulate a base's reactor blowing up. :P

st.alfonzo said:

With a bit of digging around I could really only come up with one that actually bothered me a little bit, and that was the BFG flash emanating from behind the muzzle rather than in front of it.

Has anyone mentioned that the cyberdemon's rockets don't fire out of his arm but appear to come from his crotch?

Foodles said:

Has anyone mentioned that the cyberdemon's rockets don't fire out of his arm but appear to come from his crotch?

On a similar note, despite having two shoulder-mounted launchers, Revenants fire a single missile seemingly from their face.

Foodles said:

Yeah that’s a pretty confusing one as well. The Mancubus fireballs also appear to fire from his chest cavity rather than his flame-throwers, something which disturbs me even more granted that there isn't any sort of "hole" with which to grant explanation, however absurd (or falic), as is with the case of the Cyberdemon.

EDIT: And then there's the Revenant, as Megamur pointed out. Good heavens, it's a minefield!

Also, note how the sergeants and zombiemen will be holding their rifles with different hands depending on whether they're facing right or left.

DoomUK said:

There wasn't music on those console versions, it was dark ambience. On the PSX version, it really took the atmosphere of doom away.

When i play doom, I want to feel like I'm watching an 80's-90's sci-fi action horror film.

DOOM64, however, sense it was not the PSX version and a different game, it fit better sense it was a darker game, with less of a actiony-comic book feel to it.

HWGuy said:

N64 I can understand since the graphics were also changed. I dunno about the PSX, but at least it gave us better weapon sounds. Just listen to that BFG make its impact...

Mithran Denizen said:

The weapon described in that article works nothing like the mancubus' fireball launchers.

its closer than an average flamethrower, which is what the Mancubus is described with.

Also the Revenant's attack sprites shows that he fires from the 2 launchers, however only 1 comes out.

Also the chaingunner's death sprites shows breaking chaingun from his hand, while another one can be picked up by the player, so how come he has 2 chainguns?

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

I dunno about the PSX, but at least it gave us better weapon sounds. Just listen to that BFG make its impact...

The BFG impact sound was pretty good, though I liked the thumping charge-up sound from the PC version better. And the shotgun and explosion effects always struck me as somewhat underwhelming in the PSX ports. The plasma gun sounds cooler, though.

C30N9 said:

Also the Revenant's attack sprites shows that he fires from the 2 launchers, however only 1 comes out.

I already said this.

Also the chaingunner's death sprites shows breaking chaingun from his hand, while another one can be picked up by the player, so how come he has 2 chainguns?

st.alfonzo already said that.

Megamur said:

I already said this.
st.alfonzo already said that.

Wasn't paying attention for that, sorry.

The N64 and PSX sounds are incredibly awesome, the demons pain sound looked more demonic to me, the BFG had a louder noise.

To add for the topic: Why E4M8 have well hidden secrets while they are not marked by secret. If he didn't care about this because the intermission screen is not shown after then why did he mark only one?

Coopersville said:

The clickity-clack sound that plays from time to time in the background. What is it? I assume it's something like the clopping of hooves on the floor, but I don't know what monster the sound is linked to.

I can honestly say I don't know what you're talking about...thats the first time I've ever heard of that and I've not noticed it in game before.

As for the PSX/N64 vs PC sounds...I enjoy the PSX sounds so much more. The give the game so much more atmosphere, which is definitely what a good port should be aiming to do.

StupidBunny said:

Also, note how the sergeants and zombiemen will be holding their rifles with different hands depending on whether they're facing right or left.

Don't most monsters have this "ambidextrous" characteristic? Even a lot of custom monsters. It seems like an easy way out.

Well they hold guns in different hands because the sprite for them that looks to forward-right is used the same for forward-left, so it comes mirrored, causing issue in hands.

Speaking of this even the imp's sprites are also used for mirrors. Even when he is attacking. You see him lifting his hands 2 sprite frames and if you turn quickly you would see him lifting his other hand.

What's most strange though is why did they put up the commander Keen dolls at level 32 in Doom2?

Romero has stated that it was a joke since after Wolfenstein 3D their games where filled to the brim with violence and blood, something Commander Keen did not have. So they put the main character from a non-violent game into a very violent game to kill as a funny easter egg.

Why is E4M9 in the techbase motif as opposed to the rest of the episode which consists of the gothic stone/wood/metal theme?

Mr. Chris said:

Why is E4M9 in the techbase motif as opposed to the rest of the episode which consists of the gothic stone/wood/metal theme?

It's still very much a fortress like most of E4, but different enough to be appropriate as a secret level.

Mr. Chris said:

In order to make a contrast. Notice also how it's the only level in episode 4 with exit-branded doors.

jobro said:

What's most strange though is why did they put up the commander Keen dolls at level 32 in Doom2?

This is likely a stab from the ill-tempered Adrian Carmack, who disliked working on the cutesy Commander Keen games, and had a somewhat poor working relationship with Tom Hall, who basically created Keen.

Coopersville said:

The clickity-clack sound that plays from time to time in the background. What is it? I assume it's something like the clopping of hooves on the floor, but I don't know what monster the sound is linked to.

That might be the Imp idle sound, I think that is what you mean. It sounds like it belongs to the pigdemons, but it is the idle sound of an Imp wandering around looking for you. Maybe it is their language? I like that sound, as well as the Imp camel noise they sometimes make when you kill them.