Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Confusing things in DOOM

Actually, I used to think the clickity-clack sound was an arachnotron wandering the halls.

The sound is IMP's active sound clearly.

To add on Mr.Chris's post: MAP26 supposed to be in Hell, while its atmosphere is in Techbase with some earth spots.

yellowmadness54 said:

a bunch of stuff about the mancubus being human-like

The original Doom novels actually took a stab at explaining this, suggesting that monsters like the revenant and mancubus were failed attempts by the invaders to produce human duplicates who could pass as spys etc, with the Chaingunner being the culmination of the effort.

Off-topic:
I loved Doom 64s sounds and ambience. Much more atmospheric. I like that kinda stuff, which is probably why I liked Doom 3 when alot of people were complaining about the lack of huge fights from the originals. In my opinion, the music in the original dooms just made me feel like the game was made for rebellious teenagers trying to be "bad" playing a game with lots of blood and gore and listening to death metal. I often played the originals with the music off for more immersion. On the other hand, some of the levels do have atmospheric and creepy sounding music, like E1M5. That's more my thing.

E1M1.

It went through so many versions and changes, and almost every one of them had some weird part. E.g. in v1.1 there was this lone stimpack forgotten just outside the control tower, which always made me think that there MUST be a way out there.

Or that whole new pillar switch and lowering computer wall in the computer room affair (actually, an unusual combination of lowering and raising wall not found anywhere else in the official maps AFAIK).

On the lowering computer wall portion, there's unusual floor texturing in that it uses the same hexagon tile as the rest of the computer room, even when still raised, unlike the concrete floor texture of the other computer recesses.

Maes said:

E1M1.

...Or that whole new pillar switch and lowering computer wall in the computer room affair (actually, an unusual combination of lowering and raising wall not found anywhere else in the official maps AFAIK).

On the lowering computer wall portion, there's unusual floor texturing in that it uses the same hexagon tile as the rest of the computer room, even when still raised, unlike the concrete floor texture of the other computer recesses.

Didn't it get those changes to make it better suited to deathmatch? Providing more paths across the level and into the main outdoor area.

Maes said:

E1M1.

sounds like my crazy shit I made which is found on http://musho.org/gargwads/

traversd said:

Didn't it get those changes to make it better suited to deathmatch? Providing more paths across the level and into the main outdoor area.

Yeah, however it's weird how they changed the texture on that computer panel recess, which makes it look almost like a noob's mistake.