Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Announcing The Blue Box - EE 3.40.11 and Vaporware Demo!

Download links:

To launch the Vaporware Demo:
  • Make sure Eternity can find your doom2.wad IWAD file, either by adding its path to your system.cfg, placing it in the working directory, or setting your DOOMWADPATH environment variable.
  • Double-click vapordemo.exe to start the adventure!
Note:
System requirements for the Win32 "Plus" package are Windows 2000 or later, and a Pentium IV compatible or later CPU with support for SSE2.

Update:
"The Blue Box" release has been updated to EE v3.40.11 to fix a critical error with loading savegames on levels that contain polyobjects which caused a long pause followed by a crash. The Vaporware demo wad has also been updated so that the OPTIONS lump sets a few more variables properly, including enabling TerrainTypes.

Stonking!

I must admit this is the first time I've checked out the EE properly, so imagine my surprise when I saw the DECORATE monsters coming at me within the first minute. That and surface reflections in FUCKING SOFTWARE MODE.

Me likes, and the map was really good fun, too. Can't wait to play the rest of it.

Also, what was the music? It sounds really familiar, like Hybrid or something.

scalliano said:

That and surface reflections in FUCKING SOFTWARE MODE.

It's faked with portals. :p

scalliano said:

Also, what was the music? It sounds really familiar, like Hybrid or something.

I wrote it :)

Glad you liked the map!

Ace! Always nice to meet a fellow producer (I'm strictly bedroom, mind :P ). Reminds me of this.

I'm so freakin good at Doom I didn't even need to load once *flexes* Cool map though, looks totally awesome, i'm pizzed I only found 3/4 secrets UGHH i'm supposed to be pro secret finder UGHH

Very good. The (almost?-)true floor-over-floor effect adds a lot. Playing through really reminded me of Thunderpeak because (IIRC) it uses the same custom monsters and ambient sound effects.

The backpack on the hanging crate was cool but I was expecting it to descend further than it did, though perhaps that's because it reached the bottom of the portal and can't descend further into a different one.

It seemed like I fell through the floor briefly when the lift up to the blue key had almost reached the top. Not sure what happened there or if I did something wrong. It seemed something to do with the transition from one portal to another. Also, portals and no-clipping mode don't mix well :-P

Like RottKing I also couldn't find one secret. I found the armour and 4 health potions behind a wall, I found one where you press the button that lowers the crate and backpack. I have no idea where the third one I found was. I assume the final one is something to do with the green armour behind the window. Also I have no idea if there's a way up to that enormous overhanging ledge you can see from the bridge at the start. Naturally the map is way too big for Yadex to open so I can't figure anything out.

The ledge you see outdoors is accessed in a later map; this was originally planned to all be one map, but the parts of it pretty quickly got much bigger and more self-contained than I ever anticipated, so I turned it into a 3-level mini-episode a few years ago.

As for the other secret, check the blue key room. :)

(Also, the lift thing is mentioned under Known Bugs in the text file.)

Very nice work guys. I tried Eternity for the first time tonight to play this demo map, and was pleased with what I've seen.
My only nitpick with the port itself is that I need to reconfigure it each time I play, as it seems config files don't work. That, or maybe I missed something obvious.
Other than than, it was a great experience. This port has some huge potential.

The Vaporware demo map is very nice, but I thought it was a bit too short. Then again, maybe it's my fault for expecting a huge map à la Vela Pax or even Suspended in Dusk. :)
Stunning work on detail. Texture alignment is excellent, as expected from the author.

Gameplay was cool, although I'm still not a big fan of those Shadows/Catharsis. I hope you have more fitting and interesting new monsters in the upcoming maps !
My money is on Blood Demons. :p

Wilou: That's weird; are you sure you properly unzipped everything and aren't running it from a read-only drive somehow? I haven't run into or heard about any issues with saving configs.

And I actually had a couple Blood Demons in this map at some point, but took them out because I didn't think they fit. I love Shadows though :P

I see that the shadows don't make the same gargling noises, preferring to sound like imps.

I got used to the Shadows sounding like this from their original appearance in KDiZD 1.0, and their replaced sounds as heard in ZPack always sounded out of place to my ears so I opted to use the original sounds instead.

esselfortium said:
Wilou: That's weird; are you sure you properly unzipped everything and aren't running it from a read-only drive somehow? I haven't run into or heard about any issues with saving configs.

I'm using WinXP, and unzipped the whole thing in a subfolder of the Program Files directory ( D:\Program Files\Eternity\ee-3.40.10-win32p ).

Eternity started in windowed mode. I then configured keys and specified a resolution of "800X600F" in the video options submenu ( seeing that "800X600" didn't activate fullscreen mode ).

A file named eternity.cfg has correctly been created in "D:\Program Files\Eternity\ee-3.40.10-win32p\base\vapordemo".
But Eternity didn't save my resolution setting ( i_videomode was still set to "640x480w" no matter what ), and the game always started in windowed mode.
Key settings were saved correctly though.

Now I just tried editing eternity.cfg and setting i_videomode to "640x480f". That worked. :)
But maybe there's a problem when setting the resolution from the in-game menu then.

Hey Wilou, did you hit "Make default video mode" directly under where you enter your resolution settings? If not, that might fix your problem.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

I'm using WinXP, and unzipped the whole thing in a subfolder of the Program Files directory ( D:\Program Files\Eternity\ee-3.40.10-win32p ).

Eternity started in windowed mode. I then configured keys and specified a resolution of "800X600F" in the video options submenu ( seeing that "800X600" didn't activate fullscreen mode ).

Yes, you must explicitly specify fullscreen. Eternity never defaults to fullscreen because too many devices may have problems switching into fullscreen modes depending on video drivers, monitor hardware, version of Windows/Linux, etc.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
But Eternity didn't save my resolution setting ( i_videomode was still set to "640x480w" no matter what ), and the game always started in windowed mode.
Key settings were saved correctly though.

Now I just tried editing eternity.cfg and setting i_videomode to "640x480f". That worked. :)
But maybe there's a problem when setting the resolution from the in-game menu then.

As mentioned by Mechadon, you need to hit "Make default video mode" after setting a video mode via the menus. This was meant to be a failsafe in case you got stuck unable to get out of a broken fullscreen video mode. However it is confusing too many people so I will probably have to remove it.

If anyone's still missing one out of four secrets even after getting all the noticeable ones, the remaining one is a very tiny sector right on the southwest corner of the light around the earliest secret green armor (sector 6333.) This is definitely a bug (an extraneous secret sector,) and I hope it is fixed before too much longer.

I'm curious if Vaporware will have a backstory. Not something too ambitious for Doom, just a little text describing what you're looking after or where you're going.

printz said:

I'm curious if Vaporware will have a backstory. Not something too ambitious for Doom, just a little text describing what you're looking after or where you're going.

We might make something up eventually to fit around the maps, but don't count on anything fancy :P