Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

Bin Laden Dead

flubbernugget said:

Not that we need any more proof of Fox News's stupidity....

Apparently I'm stupid as well. What am I missing?

hobomaster22 said:

Apparently I'm stupid as well. What am I missing?

"Usama Bin Laden"?

DoomUK said:

"Usama Bin Laden"?

I've seen that alternate spelling/transliteration a lot of times. Maybe we should start a poll?

DoomUK said:

"Usama Bin Laden"?

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden
http://www.slate.com/id/2057710/

The Usama is not incorrect. There is no real letter for letter translation. It's all phonetic. In fact, it seems just about everyone has the 'Bin' wrong. It's funny to see people jumping the gun, when they actually have no idea. Pretty much all news outlets 'spell' it incorrectly.

hobomaster22 said:

It's interesting how the FBI does not hold him officially responsible for the 9/11 attacks, much to the dismay of many of the heel-clickin' terrorlagnists, but "only" for the 1998 bombings of various US embassies. So there's no reason for anyone to feel "vindicated" for 9/11, and I'm sure most Americans won't even remember the 1998 events.

Edit: heh, that "Top ten list" OTOH is ridiculous, as the other 9 "wanted" guys are either common serial killers, murderers, embezzlers or armed robbers, and not e.g. Obama's henchmen or Colombian drug dealers or dangerous gang members.

It looks as if they plastered Obama/Ubama/whatever at the very last moment. Even his bio data is incorrect (e.g. he was declared an apolid by Saudi Arabia just after 9/11, so technically he is/was not a Saudi citizen since a long time).

hobomaster22 said:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden
http://www.slate.com/id/2057710/

The Usama is not incorrect. There is no real letter for letter translation. It's all phonetic. In fact, it seems just about everyone has the 'Bin' wrong. It's funny to see people jumping the gun, when they actually have no idea. Pretty much all news outlets 'spell' it incorrectly.

I stand corrected.

This doesn't change a thing, and you know it. I hate this guy, yet his dead (assuming it's real) means nothing for me. I have to admit I prefer/ed him over Bush or Obama.

Maes said:

It looks as if they plastered Obama/Ubama/whatever at the very last moment

S, not B.

You're not alone in that confusion, though. They make it all the time at Fox News.

Haha he finally dead! Nice headshot by US Army. In China there's not much people celebrating, instead I heard from video and newspaper that some people blame US and say bad things. Anyway it's a good news for that, at least it brings some peace. Terrorism and Islam is so horrible(I am sorry Kimo-Xvirus).

Gez said:

S, not B.

You're not alone in that confusion, though. They make it all the time at Fox News.

Lol. I knew something was amiss :-p

Then again, the fact that he managed to get elected despite this "obvious" relation with terrorism, left some hope that the USA is NOT a nation of 100% bigoted, fear-mongering, terror-phile heel-clickers. Even if just for a while.

GreyGhost said:

If it's the episode I'm thinking of - it's nearly 10 years old.

nono, its not that one. it was about new jersey, some spoof on 'jersey shore' i think. i didn't watch the whole thing though.

Foofoo said:

nono, its not that one. it was about new jersey, some spoof on 'jersey shore' i think. i didn't watch the whole thing though.

I know what one you're talking about. "It's a Jersey Thing" was aired October of last year. Shooting Osama in the head was just for shock factor I guess.

PRIMEVAL said:

I think Trump may do a better job than Obama, personally. America is a business, maybe an actual business man can do something good. I don't know. I just want change.

I doubt he'd even get close to winning, really. That "birther" thing probably killed his chances with most people.

Quast said:

Secret government documents leaked to the media last night reveal a top Gitmo detainee vowed to unleash a "nuclear hellstorm" if Osama Bin Laden was ever captured or assassinated.

Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, claimed Al Qaeda had hidden a nuclear bomb in Europe that was tied to Bin Laden's fate, according to a dump of classified documents released by the WikiLeaks website.

The frightening information was in thousands of pages of dossiers of detainees being held at the controversial Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba.

Mohammed's boast to his Gitmo interrogators remains unconfirmed, but officials have uncovered attempts by AlQaeda to obtain a nuke and fear the terrorist group has already purchased uranium. It is the fourth time WikiLeaks has dumped top secret documents to global news groups, including The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Telegraph of Britain.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-04-25/news/29492085_1_wikileaks-nuclear-hellstorm-nuclear-bomb

I hope this is bullshit.

so do I, but if its not, then any Violent form of Islamsic Speech/Activity will be more hated and banned then Hitlers activities ever was/will be.

if europe would fullscale co-op with US vs any suspected terrorist movement after such act, well then opposers of such an aliance would be; Pretty Fucked. and the prize of an nuclear hellstorm wouldnt be worth it at all.

neubejiita said:

They dumped his body into the ocean so no-one can see it and the photo circulating of his dead face dates from April 2010. This is fishy, they could have had this news story years ago, but they trump it out just before the election?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNXetGhEaDU This video is from April 2010! And this photo: http://www.leftcoastrebel.com/2011/05/bin-laden-deadphoto-of-bin-ladens-body.html is photoshopped as the head does not match the body. This is fake. Why would you dump the body into the ocean and not hang it from barbed wire at ground zero for the birds to pick apart? Wake up America.

Who wants to bet the U.S finally found Osama's body buried in Pakistan and dug him up to confirm he's dead.

It's interesting to know that they finally finished the guy off, but I doubt that this will have practical benefits. Now, the people who still supported Osama have a fresh martyr to inspire them, and even the higher-ups in the CIA knew that this was likely to trigger revenge attacks.

This is why America will never become a totalitarian state. Nobody in charge has read their Orwell, so they don't know how to truly defeat their opponents. Any move like this will do nothing but strengthen their enemies' resolve.

Creaphis said:

Nobody in charge has read their Orwell, so they don't know how to truly defeat their opponents.

Orwellian dystopia is based on the very simple principle that your opponents (the people that you are actually opposing) are your administrates, that is to say, the ordinary citizens you are supposed to protect; while your official enemies are actually your allies. Keep the people in fear of the enemy, and keep the enemy eternal and frightening.

The communists were perfect for that. The huge, monolithic empire of evil with fifth columns and sleeper agents everywhere. McCarthy and his witchhunts were a good example of how it could be exploited to silence dissent at home and plan to turn your official allies into puppet states (see Operation Gladio and related topics). But one day, disaster struck: the USSR collapsed and the Russians embraced our capitalistic ideology, becoming our friends! What to do now? Without an enemy, how can you unite the people under your rule and force them to accept to forfeit all their rights and freedoms one by one? Some clumsy attempts at finding new "rogue states" were tried, but none of them had enough strength to be a convincing threat. The "axis of evil" convinced no one that had a brain, given that Iraq and Iran were enemies and neither of them had any tie with North Korea. Axes are supposed to be aligned, after all. But, a miracle happened! With the horrible terrorist strike of September 11, and the national (and international) trauma it created, a new enemy appeared. A perfect enemy. One that can never be vanquished entirely. One against which you can score decisive victories to bolster your public opinion, or from which you can suffer disastrous defeats to strengthen national unity and resolve, but there's no capital, no territory, no real leader. Al Qaeda is a loose network of independent and semi-independent groups; OBL was more a symbol than an actual leader. Contrarily to the USSR, Terroristan will never collapse and become our friends. Terrorists will always be available to frighten the populace whenever it starts objecting to Patriot Acts and the like. Dissent can be quashed instantly with the simple slogan of "why do you hate America?"

Pure beauty. Nothing better could ever have happened for power-hungry control freaks.

Gez said:

we're living the orwellian dystopia already.

that was put together very nicely.

Neither happy, nor sad that he's dead. What I do feel though, is disgust in seeing Americans pour out on to the streets reveling in vengeance. In some sense, they are reveling in and glorifying death.

I do believe he's dead, for real this time. However, the way the media is covering this story, all on word of mouth by the president and government officials, and the frenzy (mostly by Americans) surrounding it reminds me of a certain passage from Fahrenheit 451:

"They're faking. You threw them off at the river. They can't admit it. They know they can hold their audience only so long. The show's got to have a snap ending, quick! If they started searching the whole damn river it might take all night. So they're sniffing for a scape-goat to end things with a bang. Watch. They'll catch Montag in the next five minutes!"

The search is over, Montag is dead; a crime against society has been avenged

"power-hungry control freaks"

Who do you think are the members of this conspiracy that are supposedly orchestrating this dystopian enslavement? Bankers? (or is the whole banker elite thing just "conspiracy theory" BS) I don't know what to make of information like this because just because information is successful at replicating from mind to mind doesn't necessarily mean its true. Adam/eve/talking snakes was pretty popular among human minds for example. And I think conspiracy theories or similar "oh shit, the system is corrupt" ideas have highly viral "pass me on" chain-letter-like memetic value.
I have no idea what to make of reality as far as politics/history/society, because it seems full of spin and deception and history is maybe written by the winners. Sprinkle in some completely retarded memeplexes like ufo conspiracies and shapeshifting lizard people just to increase the noise and make filtering the information even harder.
Anyway, what do you guys think of ron paul? Says he wants to end the patriot act at least. Given my extremely naive limited political worldview, I think I'm rooting for Anonymous so far. They might evolve into quite a political force. Seems to be made of people hacking society. Or maybe some sort of organized anarchy would work where illegitimate authority is constantly dismantled like chomsky suggests.

GreyGhost said:

Not that this is likely to change much, I get the impression that Al-Qaeda is more of a loose association than a cohesive organisation, so apart from loosing a figurehead and gaining a martyr it's probably business as usual for them.

This ^

gggmork said:

Who do you think are the members of this conspiracy that are supposedly orchestrating this dystopian enslavement?

Not a single, unified conspiracy. There are real conspiracies, but they are never as exciting as the ones conspiracy theory crackpots come up with.

Mostly, it's the result of natural factors, such as influence networks, nepotism, corruption, and other things that result in a lack of transparency and democracy. I certainly don't think that the neoconservatives of the PNAC organized 9/11. That's the kind of conspiracy you'd only see in fiction. But they certainly seized the opportunity to advance their agenda, and they were in a position to do so, so they did.

One thing to keep in mind is that conspiracies do happen. And they are, inevitably, revealed sooner or later. Operation Gladio, whihc I cited as an example above, is history now, though there are documents still classified to this day (up to 2020). Where crackpot stuff happens is when you have people going all "well, if They did that, then they also certainly this too" and going to absolutely outlandish stuff.

Another big flaw of crackpot conspiracy theories is the willingness to oversimplify by having a single group responsible for everything. It's so simple! Gives a convenient scapegoat, too. But it's not one single group. The CIA was behind Operation Ajax, but certainly not behind the Phoebus Cartel. Both were conspiracies, but with different aims and serving different people. Ever heard of lobbyists? They exist and are a fact. They are also all conspirators, as they are all trying to push their own agenda -- the very definition of a lobbyist's job -- through bribes and a very selective presentation of facts.

If you thought the "birthers" were bad, there's already those who think the whole thing was a setup. I propose we call those morons "deathers".

And the Freepers were the first to cry foul.

Apparently White House officials are considering releasing a photo of Bin Laden after he was killed. At least it might shut up some of the people who think this is a conspiracy.

Source

Gez said:

Orwellian dystopia is based on the very simple principle that your opponents (the people that you are actually opposing) are your administrates, that is to say, the ordinary citizens you are supposed to protect; while your official enemies are actually your allies. Keep the people in fear of the enemy, and keep the enemy eternal and frightening....

Good point. I guess I do owe the US administration some credit.

God, why does every photo of Osama comes off as "likable". He's got such a friendly smile.

Anyway, I would like a photo for prosperity, but I do agree with America's decision to dispose of him in such secrecy. You shouldn't give Osama attention, even in death, he doesn't deserve it. Celebrating his death and creating a media hype is only giving his death an advantage especially for those who looked up to him.

neubejiita said:

They dumped his body into the ocean so no-one can see it and the photo circulating of his dead face dates from April 2010. This is fishy, they could have had this news story years ago, but they trump it out just before the election?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNXetGhEaDU This video is from April 2010! And this photo: http://www.leftcoastrebel.com/2011/05/bin-laden-deadphoto-of-bin-ladens-body.html is photoshopped as the head does not match the body. This is fake. Why would you dump the body into the ocean and not hang it from barbed wire at ground zero for the birds to pick apart? Wake up America.

Looks familiar...

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/skaman86/binla.png