• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

IGN buys UGO. Doomworld's future?

AlexMax said:

Didn't know where else to put this:

http://www.geekosystem.com/ign-buys-ugo/

Well fuck. What does this mean for the future of Doomworld? Is there a backup plain just in case IGN decides to dump DW? What if they steal the domain and point it it at Planet Doom?

they can have our website when they pry it from our cold dead hands

I hope nothing happens, seeing as this is the only community I know of that is not full of childish nitwits.

Technician said:

I hope nothing happens, seeing as this is the only community I know of that is not full of childish nitwits.

That's pretty much what's kept me here for so long as well. It's one of the few online forums where I feel at home.

Well fuck. Exactly why would they want to dump us anyways? This has been a thriving site for over a decade, they'd need at least SOME substantial reasoning to get rid of DW

EDIT: Is there some sort of contract/agreement DW had with UGO? Or how is this website negotiated in the first place?

I really hope not. Could you imagine the entire DW userbase moving to skulltag.com? Its barrels of laughs to imagine, but I have a feeling everyone would just fall out instead.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I really hope not. Could you imagine the entire DW userbase moving to skulltag.com? Its barrels of laughs to imagine, but I have a feeling everyone would just fall out instead.

Or we might be able to drive out all the skullfags and claim it as our own.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I really hope not. Could you imagine the entire DW userbase moving to skulltag.com?

That forum is full of pompous dumb-asses. We're too good for them.

Kirby said:

EDIT: Is there some sort of contract/agreement DW had with UGO? Or how is this website negotiated in the first place?

I don't think they own the rights and pretty sure Fredrik bought the software.

Kirby said:

Exactly why would they want to dump us anyways?

This. What's the scare?

Technician said:

I seem to recall it was Lut.

I doubt anything will change though. Even if they did, the site could be resurrected elsewhere.

@Planky - They might demand more advertising revenue, which would mean a busier looking and less user-friendly site.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Could you imagine the entire DW userbase moving to skulltag.com?

ALMOST all of the userbase since some of us are IP blocked, which is something I regard as collective punishment for other people's sins.

Technician said:

They own the server but not what's on the hard drive - I thought Lut bought the current forum software. In any case, the big question is - who owns the domain name?

Well theres no point speculating, I daresay we'll find out soon enough.

Realistically, it's a popular enough site that the user base could just migrate to a different server or domain name if need be.

Technician said:

bro fist

fraggle said:

Realistically, it's a popular enough site that the user base could just migrate to a different server or domain name if need be.

You mean like Encyclopedia Dramatica? IT JUST WOULDN'T BE THE SAME

Cyanosis said:

Well if something does happen we need to switch to phpBB.

Erm, no. phpBB is a fucking spam magnet. Outdated forum software FTW.

switching to phpbb would probably end up being a ridiculous mess in the end, really. I'm pretty sure it has been stated in the past that even just updating to a later version of vB would be a mess due to custom code and the like.

How about a forum software that has NNTP gateway, so you can use the web interface or any news client?

Does anything like that even exist?

Or maybe a gopher:// site? Nobody will ever want to hijack that site. ;)

Does this even mean anything to us realistically? So the company that hosts this gaming website has been bought by another gaming website company. The main UGO sites will probably get rebranded, but I don't really see anything affecting the smaller hosted sites, except maybe some hosting domain changes which would be invisible to ordinary users.

And maybe the lil UGO logo top right would change.

IGN buys UGO.

Objective 1: Ban 40oz.

I'd be a bit annoyed if they did get rid of it, since it's basically the only forum I've ever liked.

Personally, I'm happy to write forum posts anywhere. The thing though is that this is the only place I want to read them.

Hey, at least we didn't get merged with MyYearbook like the last forum I was on did!