Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Scariest moment of Doom

As much as I'd like to claim fear from a more unusual corner of the Doom universe, E1M8 pretty much sealed the deal for me.

A perhaps more interesting question to members of a long standing community might be "what was the last encounter in Doom you feared the most and when was that fear abolished?" Or, in other words, "when did your fear of Doom disappear forever?"

I think that most of the innocuous E2M8 pwad maps count as scary, if you play without saves and the level just likes to test you with various challenges by making you forget there's a Cyberdemon waiting for you, who could appear any time, possibly in a cramped area, killing you instantly for all the effort you made to find him.

There were a lot of scary moments the first time playing through the original IWAD, but one level really stands out for me: E2M4 (Deimos Lab). That entire map is creepy, and it gets even weirder once you go through the yellow door.

The scariest PWAD was Aliens TC, played at night in the dark, with sound fx cranked up and music very low, almost inaudible. You walk around in deserted corridors, wondering why nothing has jumped you yet, nerves on edge... And then, BAM! the shit hits the fan and you freak out, and run out of ammo and then it's game over man, game over! :)

When I was searching for doomy I rarely find this site, however sometimes I see the blue Ouch Face picture here.

When I encountered the rare Ouch Face in Zdoom, it was very scary (seriously), wondering what the face is talking about, or it is terrified by something. Then that time I understood the blue face in Doomworld.

To add, my scariest levels were evey map that has Cyber-Demons, in MAP10, when my brother encountered him I got a huge breathes and I felt sick! Especially MAP20, facing two terror monsters is not a kid game, NOT A KID GAME! I even used to be scared of entering the savegame that leads you there.

Nothing at all. I played it and completed the shareware version when I has 4-5 or so years old. At first my parents didn't want me to play it, but I kept doing it until they let it go.
Did I mention I never got scared at all ever? No game have really had that impact on me.

Ah, Doomhuntress. I was wondering when the stereotypical "I beat DOOM when I was five and it's not scary at all" post would come in. There's always at least one. :)

st.alfonzo said:

Or, in other words, "when did your fear of Doom disappear forever?"

Never, to be honest. I'm certainly way, way less scared than I used to be, as many of the demons are just "comfortable" to me now, but a few maps are still clever enough with the pacing and atmosphere to set me on edge.

I've never really been truly scared by Doom, but it's certainly given me the spooks a few times. The E1M4 maze for the first time comes to mind. Hearing the alert demon sound around what seemed to be every corner, looking to find out the demon's not there, turning around and being face to face with one was pretty chilling.

Probably seeing imps in the hallways at night. Playing the shareware as a young kid can do that.

I also wasn't enough scared of Doom, non of atmospheres, monsters, skies ... scared me, in fact I actually used to watch when I was young my brother's friend, he was the only who could play great, and I was enjoying it. EXCEPT the giant 2 terrors.

* MOOOOOH!!!*

* THUMP *

* SPLAT *

that was by far my biggest scare in doom. i waited as far as possible from the central pillar where the cyber would come around, turning and running away as soon as i saw even a few pixels of him. of course, i did only manage to die tired that way.

is there a stroller style demo on e2m8?

then, the archvile on d2m11. he was scary fast, rushed me immediately and... wait, i can't dodge that flame? wtf h4x... having barely survived, i ran down the stairs where he saw me from above and still blew me up. the next times i ran out on the ring at the first archvile sound, just to get away from that flame.

map07 was pretty tiring too (having picked up the invis i did a fine job of running into every random shot). as if the mancs weren't bad enough, there was a horde of spiders coming from all directions when i thought i was done with the map, and the frame rate fell to a crawl.

I was never scared of that game (mostly because I only played actively for 3 years) but the mancubus and his weird sounds always make me feel a little uneasy when I encounter one.

I recommend the wads "Legacy Of Suffering" or "Unloved" and turn off the lights, especially Legacy Of Suffering made me jump a few times, Unloved has rather creepy environment than being scary.
But in generally i cant understand how anyone would be scared by playing Doom. But i had a real phobia for Cyberdemons and SpiderMasterminds when i was a kid, everytime i played a new map i always typed in IBDEHOLDA and IDCLIP to make sure there is no Cyberdemons or SpiderMasterminds in the map. (lol)

datadanne said:

I recommend the wads "Legacy Of Suffering" or "Unloved" and turn off the lights, especially Legacy Of Suffering made me jump a few times, Unloved has rather creepy environment than being scary.

Unloved was pretty great (for the most part). I've seen videos of Legacy of Suffering. The ridiculous metal music seems too goofy to really lend itself to a dark, engrossing atmosphere.

A perhaps more interesting question to members of a long standing community might be "what was the last encounter in Doom you feared the most and when was that fear abolished?" Or, in other words, "when did your fear of Doom disappear forever?"

I still occasionally jump when I play great wads and run into troublesome situations. Sometimes I stop for a second or two, frozen with fear. It's the best feeling.

It is pretty magical when a level is still set up just right to instill true tension and fear in the player. It's even possible with vanilla maps if you know what you're doing.

e2m8, my first time. I was just walking around, then i hear it. Mechanical legs. Hell, i barely knew what a cyberdemon was at this point in time. I turn a corner, and the screen just goes fxcking red, and i near shit myself.

My cousin was right behind me, laughing his ass off.

Episode 2 and 3 on the SNES all those years ago, they set a strong tone of suspense after passing the Refinery level.

Also I'll second Doom 64 since the moody music and the colored lighting helped with the creepy atmosphere beginning with Even Simpler as it moved away from the techbase theme.

The Cyberdemon in E2M8!
My controls were WASD (hard to move) and I was inexperienced!
I thought i would face four barons!
Then it hit me!
By it, I mean a rocket and I died!
I realised it was not four barons!
Like E3M7 of Heretic!

Yeah, modern moments do exist. I personally found KDiZD from the last parts of Z1M7 up to the end (including the super-secret level) quite disturbing.

1, only 1 moment in the original doom made me jump, and that was the first time I saw the demon in that maze bit.

Not sure which map, but it was certainly in the first episode.

I had no sound, and I saw this massive pink mass dash by my screen. Scared me.

skib said:

The Cyberdemon in E2M8!
My controls were WASD (hard to move) and I was inexperienced!
I thought i would face four barons!

You got there too late. Instead of moseying and ditty-boppin' along, you should have tried to make those PAR times. In the meantime the cybie arrived, had his fun with the barons, and hung up their corpses as decorations. ;)

hex11 said:

You got there too late. Instead of moseying and ditty-boppin' along, you should have tried to make those PAR times. In the meantime the cybie arrived, had his fun with the barons, and hung up their corpses as decorations. ;)

But then again, when you finish it in par time you bump into the cybie in E3M1 which is really just unfair. :)

Recently I saw a Youtube video of an otherwise regular looking ZDoom mod that had realisticly sized bug or spider monsters who would crawl in dark rooms and bite you to death real quick. I don't think I'd want to play a WAD like that :S

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but even when you know the level layout...e1m2 for example...a monster sometimes does something I don't expect and it'll give me a brief scare. One notable example is at the beginning when the Imp travels down the lift from where the shotgun and shells are at. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does, I don't expect it. Knowing that the Imp can do that now, it's not so bad as I'm more prepared for it.

Don't you hate when your fighting several Revenants, you dodge all their missiles and kill them, to suddenly have a rocket explode into the back of your head? That still occasionally scares the crap outta me.

Chex Warrior said:

Don't you hate when your fighting several Revenants, you dodge all their missiles and kill them, to suddenly have a rocket explode into the back of your head? That still occasionally scares the crap outta me.

Or even better, triggering an ambush that releases tons of them and having your ears raped by their combined scream because of that. Makes me jump every time.