Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Doom Music inspired by?

There was a thread by Linguica years ago about tracks in Doom and music snippets of commercial music that have been very similar and obvious inspirations for Prince when he was doing the Doom tracks.

Is this still around somehwere?

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Music

This, and the links to Doom music and Doom II music near the bottom of the page tell you everything I'd imagine you'd want to know. The Doom and Doom II music pages have tables with the lump names, levels they were featured on, song titles and possible sources of inspiration.

40oz said:

video

Heh, I see you found my old video. I've been meaning to update it, since there are a few questionable comparisons and a few that I missed or wasn't aware of at the time. Someone pointed out that E3M2 sounds like a song by Body Count(?), for one, and there was a thread recently that made a connection between Map02 and a Hall & Oates song.

E1M1 IS NOT "NO REMORSE"! If anything, it's "Hooked" by DRI. Allow me to demonstrate via tablature:

No Remorse ("No remorse, no regret...")

e|---------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------|
A|----10-----9-----7-----5-----5h7-|
E|0-0----0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0-----|

x3

D|-----------------------------9-9-|
A|----10-----9-----7-----5-----9-9-|
E|0-0----0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0-7-7-|

Hooked (Intro)

A|----7------5-----3-----2-----2h3-|

x4

E1M1 (Main Riff)

A|----7------5-----3-----1-----2h3-|

A|----7------5-----3-----1---------|
E|0-0----0-0---0-0---0-0-----------|

x2

As you can plainly see, the DRI riff matches the E1M1 riff almost exactly. Prince switched the B to a Bb (the tritone), and held it for a dotted half note in the second bar. Metallica's riff has a near-identical rhythm, but the note placement is much different.

Need additional convincing? Listen to the actual track.

Other than that, the video was pretty decent.

I'm not hearing any similarities between map01 and Hangar 18... same for map02 and whatever song the video claims goes with it. Everything else makes sense to me. The Stone Temple Pilots sounds kind of iffy though - I'd probably have to compare the tracks.

Mr. Freeze said:

E1M1 IS NOT "NO REMORSE"! If anything, it's "Hooked" by DRI.

You're right, and I was informed as much after I first posted my video here (about two years ago). Like I said, there are a few questionable comparisons. On the other hand, many of those (like the ones Hobomaster mentioned) cropped up in discussions of which Doom tracks are inspired by what. I never quite bought into some of them - the one that comes to mind is between E2M3 and "Regular People" - but there they are.

Also, I think there's some reason to suggest that MAP09's music is inspired by STP's "Sex Type Thing": a couple of the unused Doom tracks are MIDI versions of their songs "Dead and Bloated" and, well, "Sex Type Thing." Not that the latter's chord progression is unique, but since we know Prince borrowed music from STP, I can see it influencing "Into Sandy's City."