Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

Slow Rot - my first map from scratch

Hi everyone! It's been nearly a year since I worked on my Doom maps, and I am running into a few problems, mainly because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

I'm building a map in ZDoom in Hexen format using DB2 (I need ZDoom so I can get coloured sectors). IIRC, at some point in the past I copied and pasted the entire map into a new wad file and lost all the formatting, doors etc. At the time that wasn't a problem since I wanted to give things an overhaul.

Unfortunately it's been so long I have forgotten what to do. Back then I was editing for normal Doom 2 which was a lot simpler for creating doors etc.

Can anyone have a look at my map and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I wouldn't mind a quick check for misaligned textures etc as I am burned out from prettifying the map. The map is not currently playable and is probably only 10-20% complete.

How do I upload the map so people can test it in an editor?

EDIT: Some old screenies which people may have seen before:

Skybox and landscape.

Crashed starship based on the descriptions of a Warhammer 20K starship:

Welcome back, where have you been hiding? I recommend MediaFire, they've served me well these last few years - can't stand RapidShare.

GreyGhost said:

Welcome back, where have you been hiding? I recommend MediaFire, they've served me well these last few years - can't stand RapidShare.

Mediafire is the way to go

Afternoon all, I didn't expect anyone to remember me so thank you for the welcome!

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a try.

I have got another project in mind once I've finished Slow Rot. I was going to call it PRIMARCH.WAD and there would be five maps:

1. MAGNUS
A descent into a hellish and ever-changing realm populated by mostly flying enemies, where the landscape reconfigures itself.

2. ANGRON
A blood-soaked battlefield where you are punished by the Blood God himself every time you use a medikit or stimm-pak, but not health potions; all the Blood God cares about is that the blood keeps flowing. The enemies would mostly be hand to hand berserker types.

3. FULGRIM
I haven't put too much thought into this one yet!

4. MORTARION
While the Plague God's minions are not as strong in close assault or magical combat as some of the others', the landscape itself here is a deathtrap which will constantly challenge you and wear you down. The degenerate enemies are tough but slow moving with powerful ranged attacks. The daemon Mortarion is known to have a bodyguard of Revenants, and his foul Garden of Barbarus is alive with hellish flora and fauna.

5. PETURABO
An industrial wasteland on a shocking scale, where the very daemons of hell are caught and "improved" by means of technological modification. Only heavy weapons are available here, Peturabo doesn't want anyone piddling around with pistols and shotguns, and you'll certainly need a few rockets to deal with the machine-daemons who beset you from all sides.

Any feedback on this idea?

I'll have a proper look at in the morning, but for starters you can fix those doors by giving them a movement speed - 40 works quite nicely.

Cheers mate, I didn't know I could tell them how fast to open, I was too busy doing a Jeremy Clarkson impersonation: repeatedly clicking the button and shouting WORK!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am planning to keep this thread active for a while.

I am working on a series of linked maps but I am going to need a lot of help with playtesting and bug fixing. I wanted to have a small amount of scripting as well, generally messages shown on the screen if you try to access a restricted area for example, and I also wanted hidden messages to be displayed when you found secret computer terminals.

Two questions needing immediate attention:

1. How can I display the player's current location in the bottom left of the screen a la Doom 3? Example screenies:

Early version of Rawnwood from the 1994 tune up challenge:

Someone else's map:

2. Is it possible to pick up items that display a lot of text which you can cancel off the screen and then re-display at any time? Again, this is partly inspired by Doom 3's PDA logs, but it could contain the location of secrets, hidden wad reviews and so forth? (I'm planning on serious rewards for those who can find all the secrets.)

Finally, I just opened slowrot.wad on my laptop and the entire map has somehow turned into a giant spider's web of vectors and lines... seems I've lost the map, but I should have a backup, although I could recreate the map fairly quickly now.

1. For displaying the player's current location i think you need Sectinfo, which IIRC is a Skulltag only feature. And i'm not sure how flexible it is.

Another option would be doing some heavy acs code to make a custom sectinfo kind of thing. That wouldn't be a task for a beginner though so depending on your acs skills you might want to have someone else code it for you.

2. Correct me if i'm wrong here, I might be really off. I think there should be a acs function called "Log" or something, that is similar to Print but throws the text into the console, so you could scroll up the console to read the text you've once got. However the console tends to get kinda stuffed and it cleans out really old stuff if it gets too full. So you might actually loose the message in that process.

Another option again would be doing it in ACS. However that isn't easy either.

MajorRawne said:

Finally, I just opened slowrot.wad on my laptop and the entire map has somehow turned into a giant spider's web of vectors and lines... seems I've lost the map, but I should have a backup, although I could recreate the map fairly quickly now.

This happened to me when I opened a wad of mine in DOOM Builder while simultaneously having it open in XWE or Slade. Be careful not to do that.