Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnaxus

Doom 64 TC and DoomBuilder 2

I'm trying to make them mesh properly. The sprites of the normal monsters and items have all changed to the Doom 64 ones automatically, but the new monsters (i.e. nightmare imp, laser gun, etc.) don't show up. In fact, they are listed as "unknown." By poring over the .ded files, I managed to locate what I thought was the Nightmare Imp's sprite, "NTRO." I also found the Nightmare Imp's editor number, 400. I made them match up (not easy), and DoomBuilder recognizes thing 400 as a Nightmare Imp now. However, the sprite still does not show up!

A little help?

And here's the doom64_things.cfg (so far it's just the nightmare imp):

// Only the new Doom 2 things, use in combination with Doom_thingtypes.cfg

monsters
{
	color = 12;	// Light Red
	arrow = 1;
	title = "Monsters";
	width = 20;
	sort = 1;
	height = 56;
	hangs = 0;
	blocking = 1;
	error = 2;

{
		title = "Nightmare Imp";
		sprite = "NTRO";
	}
}

Does it work in game? I'm not well versed on custom actors but AFAIK with DB2 sometimes the sprites don't appear in the editor but the monsters appear in game.

Assuming the Doom 64 TC wad is in the resource list, edit the sprite name to match one in the wad - e.g. sprite = "NTROA2A8";

GreyGhost said:

Assuming the Doom 64 TC wad is in the resource list, edit the sprite name to match one in the wad - e.g. sprite = "NTROA2A8";

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed!

Now to figure out the lasergun...lol

Something like this?

color = 14;	// Yellow
	arrow = 0;
	title = "Weapons";
	width = 20;
	height = 25;
	hangs = 0;
	blocking = 0;
	sort = 1;

{
		title = "LaserGun";
		sprite = "LGUNA0";
	}

GreyGhost said:

Something like this?

color = 14;	// Yellow
	arrow = 0;
	title = "Weapons";
	width = 20;
	height = 25;
	hangs = 0;
	blocking = 0;
	sort = 1;

{
		title = "LaserGun";
		sprite = "LGUNA0";
	}

Why do I get the feeling you've already done the entire thing?...

Years ago I put together a Doom 64 TC config file for the original Doom Builder (not DB2). I may still have it, but I'll have to dig around in my old CDs.

Unless I'm mistaken, that should still work. If it doesn't, I'll make it work! lol

Post it either way, if you can find it. Until then, I'll keep working on mine.

Oh right, I did look for that disc today. I found it, but apparently I never did save the config file :/. It was really half-baked though. It may have been a little useful, but I remember having to go through a bunch of sector actions (etc) manually to see what they did. And then I would name them in the config. I'm sure a gigantic portion of it was either broken or missing. But I guess that doesn't really matter know that it's pretty much gone forever, heh.

Kaiser included an archive in Doom64 Absolution called d64_editors.zip, which contains config files for Doom Builder and Deepsea. You could use those as a starting point.

I would highly recommend using Doom64EX rather than trying to make maps for the Doom 64 TC. I've worked with the Doom 64 TC on a couple of occasions, and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth.. which was unfortunate as the TC was awesome at the time of its release.

The main reason being that doing lighting as in the original TC proved to be quite troublesome, and quite frankly I'm not sure how Kaiser managed to muster up the courage to go through with crafting all the maps using that technique. If I recall the TC had a ton of extra flats within the WAD file that were colorized, and in addition there were definition files that applied a "glow" to the walls to simulate the game's unique style of lighting. Doom64 EX, on the other hand, uses actual color data within the sector's properties to apply lighting effects, so you're given a much greater level of freedom than was available in the TC.

I've never heard of Doom 64EX before. I don't have time right now to search for it, but if someone has a link, that'd be awesome.

Y'know, I was all set to thank you for the link, for being so kind as to link me to it instead of being some kind of trollish asshole.

"Let me Google that for you"

Real nice. I was rushing out the door to work last night when I posted that. That's why I honestly didn't have time to search for it right then.

AgentSpork said:

I'm not sure how Kaiser managed to muster up the courage to go through with crafting all the maps using that technique.

AND I AM NEVER DOING THAT SHIT AGAIN...