Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skib

Making sprites from pictures

IDSoftware made there shotgun from a toy shotgun.
How did they do that?
I know they took pictures but how did they turn them into sprites?

I'm not sure, but I think I recall Romero saying that it wasn't a particularly advanced tool, in any case. If it was for the NeXT, then it probably wouldn't be all that useful to most people anyway.

Besides, the image editing software of today should provide more than what a person will need to edit and palettize sprites in Doom. I know Photoshop has been a great help in my efforts, and I assume the GIMP is probably comparable.

It still would be kind of interesting to see it anyway, though.

Well, you can see how a recent sprites-from-pictures project of mine went.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/48080-plasticine-sprites-wip-now-with-demo-wad/

Granted, the execution wasn't perfect on many levels, I made several mistakes with the scale, outlines, lighting, color conversion etc. but IMO it's still a good -although simplified- example of the actual steps to go through.

I was actually thinking myself if there was any kind of tutorial around on how to convert photographed images into sprites.

Actually, yeah (sort of).

In any case, it's a lot of hard work, and there are no shortcuts, save using a 3D model as a base and thus eliminating much of the outline cropping and manual recoloring, if you have good control over the texturing. No wonder spriting is a lost art.

I actually have bought a few airsoft guns recently which I was thinking of converting into Doom weapons.

the dude that made the ghouls forest used photo-realistic pictures
to make the sprites of the monsters so it has to be possible to add
that to any aspect of doom right?

mostly its about proper scaling and testing, lots of testing