Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

Add episodes to doom 2?

My best guess is that your NRFTL WAD includes the intermission graphics with the level names in large white letters for each map. If these are named the same as the standard Doom II versions (CWILV00 - CWILV08), then they'll replace the standard ones for the first nine maps in Doom 2.

I can't check what the lumps were named in nerve_demo.wad at the moment, nor can I see what they're named in my own variant of the wad, but I'm pretty sure I renamed them to avoid a conflict. You would then specify the new name with the "titlepatch" MAPINFO property for each map.

For example, if you changed the graphics to be named NWILV00 - NWILV08, then you would add the following to your MAPINFO (assuming you are sticking with the older syntax):

First map:

map nap01 "the earth base"
music d_messag
next nap02
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
nojump
nocrouch
par 75
exitpic NR_INTER
titlepatch NWILV00
[...]

Ninth map:
map nap09 "march of the demons"
music d_ddtblu
next nap05
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
nojump
nocrouch
par 135
enterpic NR_INTER
exitpic NR_INTER
titlepatch NWILV08
You should be able to name them whatever you want, so long as you make sure that the names are tied to the right level in MAPINFO.

this is the second error I got when trying to convert it to the new format:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "DII_NRFTLe2.wad:MAPINFO" line 27:
{: Unknown top level keyword

More or less the same I think.

***edit***
Sorry, just saw your post. They are named cwill in mine. So how would I go about converting it to the new format.

I noticed my master levels wad mapinfo seems to be in the new format, but doesn't have any of the level name graphics in the wad. I made the master levels wad by using a program someone on the forums made to combine the levels of my original copy.

It does have a language script though that it seems to call to and displays all the level names correctly. Doesn't have a titlepatch command though.

***EDIT 2***
I'm guessing I would put something like

NRFTL_NAP01 = "The Earth Base";

in a language file

and put:

map NAP01 lookup "NRFTL_NAP01"

in the mapinfo

Do I have to change the cluster def to something besides "1"? If so, how do I know what cluster number I can use?

I know it's clusterdef 11 in my master levels wad.

I would suggest to leave the language lump alone, for the time being, until you have a grasp of the mapinfo lump.

I'm not exactly fluent in mapinfo myself, but the following has helped me on occasion:
Randy Heit had made available mapinfo files for both Doom and Doom2, see http://zdoom.org/files/examples/ . They are both in the old format. To convert them to the new format, use the mapinfo converter found here http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20833 , which works quite well on those two files.

Using them as a guide, they should get you going on your project.

Kappes Buur said:

I would suggest to leave the language lump alone, for the time being, until you have a grasp of the mapinfo lump.

I'm not exactly fluent in mapinfo myself, but the following has helped me on occasion:
Randy Heit had made available mapinfo files for both Doom and Doom2, see http://zdoom.org/files/examples/ . They are both in the old format. To convert them to the new format, use the mapinfo converter found here http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20833 , which works quite well on those two files.

Using them as a guide, they should get you going on your project.

Thanks for the info and links.

I'm not planning on changing the language lump for the master levels wad I compiled. It is fine. The other wad though doesn't have a language lump and I was using the ML one for reference to create one for the other wad.

Brewtal_Legend said:

They are named cwill in mine. So how would I go about converting it to the new format.

You can rename the lumps in an editor like SLADE 3 - you should be able to just right-click the entries and pick 'rename' from the context menu, or slowly double click the entries, to rename them. Just try changing each one from [CWILV00 - CWILV08] to [NWILV00 - NWILV08]. Then edit to MAPINFO to have the titlepatch keyword on each map definition, specifying the appropriate graphic for every different level. So NAP01 should have titlepatch NWILV00, NAP02 should have titlepatch NWILV01, etc.

I noticed my master levels wad mapinfo seems to be in the new format, but doesn't have any of the level name graphics in the wad. I made the master levels wad by using a program someone on the forums made to combine the levels of my original copy.

Yes, if there's no new level graphics specified, the level's name as given in the MAPINFO or LANGUAGE lumps will be used instead. NRFTL comes with its own graphics though, so I figure you might as well make use of them.

It does have a language script though that it seems to call to and displays all the level names correctly. Doesn't have a titlepatch command though.

***EDIT 2***
I'm guessing I would put something like

NRFTL_NAP01 = "The Earth Base";

in a language file

and put:

map NAP01 lookup "NRFTL_NAP01"

in the mapinfo

You could do this, but it's not going to help anything, as the MAPINFO already has the same information in it. The line map nap01 "the earth base" does the same thing. A LANGUAGE lump can be handy for seperating large amounts of text from the map definitions, but unless you're planning to translate it into multiple languages, it's probably overkill for a project this small. I'd recommend that you don't bother putting a LANGUAGE lump into the NRFTL wad at all, because if you just want something that works properly, everything you need can be done in MAPINFO more simply.

Do I have to change the cluster def to something besides "1"? If so, how do I know what cluster number I can use?

I know it's clusterdef 11 in my master levels wad.

To start with, clusters 1-4 are used for Ultimate Doom episodes, and clusters 5-10 are used for Doom II's episodes and secret maps. This is why the Master Levels wad uses '11', as it's the first new cluster number available after those used in the IWADs. Following this logic, I'd give the NRFTL maps cluster 12 in your case, as I'm not sure whether setting it to one of the existing numbers can cause problems or not. With is set to '1', which is Knee Deep In The Dead's cluster, you probably won't see issues with it like that in Doom 2, but you might as well set it to '12' anyway. Just make sure to change both the cluster definition itself, and the cluster properties for each individual map.

Also make sure your Master levels wad indeed only uses cluster 11; in the version I built for myself there are multiple clusters, as it's split into multiple parts with text screens after each one. I doubt yours is like this, but if it is, just use the next available number, instead of '12'.

Mithran Denizen said:

You can rename the lumps in an editor like SLADE 3 - you should be able to just right-click the entries and pick 'rename' from the context menu, or slowly double click the entries, to rename them. Just try changing each one from [CWILV00 - CWILV08] to [NWILV00 - NWILV08].

In slade 3 there's a less annoying method: mass rename. Select all of these lumps, choose "rename" from context menu and type NWILV** in the input field.