Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

ManDoom! Manly-Ass Doom!

Was wondering if anyone else had found this?

http://users.zoominternet.net/~tain/ManDoom/

It's pretty bad ass. Adds permadeath and randomly generated levels to doom. This would be awesome if it could be combined with scoredoom. At least the permadeath part. Permadeath + scoring points = awesome.

If it could also be merged with parts of korax mod too, it could be like a DoomRL mod for Doom. A real 3d roguelike.

I wouldn't mind if there was an optional mode where you can face the entire realm667 monster lineup like I do in Scoredoom. I could definitely use some more practice.

Sounds real hardcore. At least in Rogue you have ample time to think before every move, and even then it's hard as hell to finish the game (I almost beat it* once, but got overconfident and careless...) So, good luck! :)

* rogue-clone: Version III. (Tim Stoehr was here), tektronix!zeus!tims

Grain of Salt said:

Why? It's a great way to play, but you can do the same thing by recording a demo. Or just by not saving.

Just easier I suppose. There's always a temptation to save. I myself never tried recording a demo and have no idea how. Dying and restarting the level isn't necessarily saving. Just easier to have it regulated I suppose. Plus it loads random levels.

If it added points like scoredoom, it would sweet. I always thought scoredoom would be better with permadeath for single player.

Any thoughts about throwing in the Realm667 monsters into the mix as an optional mode, though? It would make great practice for the Scoredoom addon pack.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Just easier I suppose. There's always a temptation to save. I myself never tried recording a demo and have no idea how. Dying and restarting the level isn't necessarily saving. Just easier to have it regulated I suppose. Plus it loads random levels.

If it added points like scoredoom, it would sweet. I always thought scoredoom would be better with permadeath for single player.

Well hang on now. I thought that permadeath = you have to start over from the very beginning (usually E1M1 or MAP01). That's how it works in Rogue anyway. But if you're just resuming play on the same level you died in, then the only disadvantage is you're forced to do a pistol start, but you effectively get unlimited lives.

hex11 said:

Well hang on now. I thought that permadeath = you have to start over from the very beginning (usually E1M1 or MAP01). That's how it works in Rogue anyway. But if you're just resuming play on the same level you died in, then the only disadvantage is you're forced to do a pistol start, but you effectively get unlimited lives.

It is permadeath in mandoom. My example of saying that " Dying and restarting the level isn't necessarily saving. " wasn't saying that it was the same as permadeath. I was saying it as what someone might think if they were trying o play just without saving like the post above mine mentioned.

Being able to keep playing the current level after dying is a little bit of a fault of scoredoom, as far as single player is concerned anyways, in my opinion. That's why I think permadeath like found in ManDoom would make such a great addition.

Actually, I think any Doom game in general could benefit from a lives system. Maybe not permadeath for regular doom, but at least a lives system like Wolf 3D.

Gun_Psycho:
You would have to ask the person who made the mod about the realm667 monsters. Their email is at the bottom of the page the link is to I think. I didn't make this mod. Just sharing it with others since I have not seen any mention of it on the forum before.

I've been loving this so far. "Stupid" difficultly is utterly evil, yet I can't pull myself away from it.