Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechanos

List of unused sprites

How many unused sprites are there in DOOM 2? I know that there are 6 unused from the pain elemental because he doesn't leave a corpse so he is rarely ressurected. I know that there are also 2 unused in the player's death sequence. I've also heard there are some unused for the pistol firing animation but don't know just how many. Any one know just how many? Also, are there any more that aren't used?

If you download Whacked3, there's a list of unused states as apposed to sprites, not really sure about sprites though,

how many do you need?

There are at least two more in the SSG firing sequence. If you're looking to steal a few states for DEHACKing purposes, you could always use a goofy trick I used a lot: make the trooper and sergeant use the same set of gib frames, and utilize the other ones as extra animation states. It's barely noticeable in-game, and is a quick n' easy solution.

The Pain Elemental's resurrect frames can also be safely repurposed, and if you don't intend on using Arch-Vile fire for anything, that has a ton of frames as well.

Yeah good idea man, and if it was a themed multi-map WAD like a techbase, you could get rid of the animated skull keys and all the hellish scenery

Frame 887 is also unused. It's the small gray stalagmite.

Also, don't confuse sprite with frames. A frame is just what the name implies... you have an animation sequence (a state) that consists of multiple frames where each frame can use any sprite you assign it (as long as the sprite prefix name is valid and the corresponding graphic is in the wad).

Frames are limited. Doom only has so many defined, but some are unused, meaning you can use those with DeHackEd to do your own stuff. Sprites aren't as limited as frames are. Sprites are basically just the graphics you find in the wad which have a certain naming convention (you can extend those pretty much indefinitely. For example TRE2B0 is a valid sprite you can assign to a frame, even though it's not used in Doom; you just have to supply the sprite in your wad).

WildWeasel said:

The Pain Elemental's resurrect frames can also be safely repurposed

Not if he wants to implement a pain elemental crush ghost resurrect setup in his map, which would be quite evil.

Thank you so much for the info. I am planning to make an awsome wad for Vanilla DOOM, yet only when I can get off my butt and do more work on it. Though does anyone know if there's unused frames for the Pistol? And if I recall, there's an unused sprite for the BFG 9000's firing sequence isn't there?

In an unmodified copy of Doom, the following states are unused: 45, 56, 80, 155, 266, 799, 887, 892, and 893. (according to WhackEd3)

About the BFG and pistol, they do have unused sprites, but there are no unused frames.

And just what are these unused sprites? I am curious to know if they could be utilized in any way. Thank you so much guys. You've been a great help. :)