Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Reverie - A New Vanilla Doom II Megawad (Final Idgames Link!)

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29779828/re12.zip

FDA on MAP12, 1 death right at the start, then 8:09 with 1 secret revealed. At the very end of the demo you may see a graphics glitch when looking at the final building at a certain angle.

I didn't finish MAP08 or MAP10, but these Jim Flynn's tributes are the most amazing ones so far. I will certainly play them thorougly when I feel like wandering for hours in these levels. I thought this style of mapping (JF) was impossible to imitate, but I was wrong. Thankfully, they are much better-looking than Enigma maps, but the feel wasn't lost. MAP05 was pretty nice, too.

vdgg said:

FDA on MAP12 ... At the very end of the demo you may see a graphics glitch when looking at the final building at a certain angle.

I didn't finish MAP08 or MAP10, but these Jim Flynn's tributes are the most amazing ones so far.

Thanks; got around to fixing that.

As soon as I saw "Jim Flynn" in your comment, I thought right away it was going to be about how much you hate him. But thankfully I was proven wrong - seems a lot of people around here aren't fond of him. He was my favorite mapper.

Honestly, I happened to rate rather low on /idgames both Enigma and Far Side of Titan; Enigma has some brilliant stuff, MAP04 being my favourite, but I found a few maps annoying and pretty much everything is ugly. Farside has a wonderful beginning sequence, but the switch quests that follow were... not to my taste. This does not mean any disrespect from my part to Jim Flynn, as Enigma definitely has its style (e.g. that gray textures and verticality) and Eternal Doom would not be the same without his three fantastic maps full of invention. Jim seemed to be able to discover mapping tricks never seen before with ease.

valkiriforce said:

As soon as I saw "Jim Flynn" in your comment, I thought right away it was going to be about how much you hate him. But thankfully I was proven wrong - seems a lot of people around here aren't fond of him. He was my favorite mapper.

Flynn has this really bizarre mapping style, but I find it quite memorable and it makes for interesting maps, architecture and encounters. Really, I was the most let down by Enigma's MAP09; it felt plain in comparison to the rest of the set. After I finish playing the collected works of Klie, Willits, Mustaine and Anderson (which I've seen regarded as relatively easier) I'm looking forward to tackling the rest of Jim Flynn's solo releases, prior to moving on to Kvernmo's stuff.

Just the whole map.

-I had no idea what switches did what.
-There was a switch with blue key indicators around it, which made me think it required a blue key.
-Monsters like Barons of Hell in ridiculously small rooms.
-A follow up to above, I must've took 80% damage from them because of some tiny little lips sticking out of the walls that served no purpose other than to get stuck on.
-The revenants at the end that fire loads of missiles at you as soon as you teleport.
-The stupid platform part where I've got to kill chaingunners, and dodge imp fireballs from all directions and a cacodemon on a really thin platform. Then if I fall off, I have to waste my health looking for a way to get back up.
-The Pain Elementals in the tight room with cacodemons and pain elementals.
-The secret in which I had to press a fire stick that had no hints. Like, a different colour maybe?

There's more that I can't think of right now. But the main problem was the whole switch hunt.

Odd-o-matic said:

[map13] -The secret in which I had to press a fire stick that had no hints. Like, a different colour maybe?

This one I agree with. There are no short green firesticks in this level. So I suggest changing the firestick at sector 323 for a green one.

MAP14 was great IMO.
Guess I got lucky that the arch-vile at the end didn't respawn any revenants.
Only problem is the arch-vile seems to be stuck, he just spins around endlessly and doesn't attack...

Re the Map13 switch-hunt, I just pressed every switch I found and didn't get stuck, so I didn't do any criticism. But yeah, when I rethink about it, that map does need to be cleaned up a bit probably.

Well, I press them, but I have no idea what they do so I end up having to run round the whole map trying to find what it did.

Odd-o-matic said:

MAP14 Only problem is the arch-vile seems to be stuck, he just spins around endlessly and doesn't attack...

He is "stuck" because he is surrounded by monster blocking lines. What do you mean that he doesn't attack ? He does in choco doom and risen3d at least, and should in all ports. What port are you using ? Did he rise up from the "seat" of the "throne" ? Maybe a port specific bug ?

hawkwind said:

He is "stuck" because he is surrounded by monster blocking lines. What do you mean that he doesn't attack ? He does in choco doom and risen3d at least, and should in all ports. What port are you using ? Did he rise up from the "seat" of the "throne" ? Maybe a port specific bug ?

I'm using GZDoom, he's just continuosly spinning and that's it.

You spin me right round, baby, right round like a record, baby, right round round round...

Oh um, anyone doing Map32? Think I may write music for that.

PRIMEVAL said:

Oh um, anyone doing Map32? Think I may write music for that.

Go ahead, I guess it's mostly back to you doing the music again. Not sure what's going on with Ralphis or BlackFish, but I did send them both a PM recently.

I'm on MAP08 start now. Really, this megawad is great in both detail and gameplay, very enjoyable ;). Keep it up!

EDIT: How do I solve the teleporting maze at this map?! :O

C30N9 said:

I'm on MAP08 start now. Really, this megawad is great in both detail and gameplay, very enjoyable ;). Keep it up!

EDIT: How do I solve the teleporting maze at this map?! :O

I thought I numbered those colored squares...

valkiriforce said:

I'm talking about the one with 4 teleporters all near together. Once you teleport into one, it will change its color (depending on the place trick).

valkiriforce said:

Honestly if you can't remember the order you activated them in the beginning room, you can go back and reason it out yourself in less than a minute. Numbering that similar puzzle in Doom Core made sense if only because there was no clear order to the pillars that served as the clues.

C30N9 said:

I'm talking about the one with 4 teleporters all near together. Once you teleport into one, it will change its color (depending on the place trick).

Solution in this post.

Stuck again at Triplet II yellow key area, I checked all the 4 rooms and now I can't find anything.

Also there is a bug at the blue key area where I got stuck at first. When you teleport on all pads and change them to red, if you go to the 3rd one from left, it will change back to yellow instead of blue.

EDIT: Just found the solution. Thank you for hiding the switch so much (must be a secret).

C30N9 said:

Also there is a bug at the blue key area where I got stuck at first. When you teleport on all pads and change them to red, if you go to the 3rd one from left, it will change back to yellow instead of blue.

Wow, that was very good of you to spot that one. It was hard keeping track of which teleporter went where.

Hey valkiri, would you mind adding the soundtrack to the first post so we know for definite which map slots are claimed? :)

Jimmy91 said:

Hey valkiri, would you mind adding the soundtrack to the first post so we know for definite which map slots are claimed? :)

MAP16, MAP19, MAP21, MAP23-27, MAP30, MAP31 I think are the only ones that need music atm. I just did Map28,29, and 32.