Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Reverie - A New Vanilla Doom II Megawad (Final Idgames Link!)

Reverie is a new megawad designed to be completely compatible with vanilla Doom2.exe. It will feature 32 new levels in style of the 90's classics (Memento Mori 1 & 2, Requiem, Icarus: Alien Vanguard). It will hopefully avoid HOM, visplane overflows and savegame buffers, and will hopefully provide a good challenge, too.

FINAL IDGAMES LINK: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16630

MAPS COMPLETED SO FAR: (32/32)
==============================
MAP01: Stratos Gate (Complete) 1 2
MAP02: Soldier's Stand (Complete) 1 2
MAP03: The Cup Of Wrath (Complete) 1 2
MAP04: Divine Judgment (Complete) 1 2
MAP05: Substance (Complete) 1 2
MAP06: Sledgehammer (Complete) 1 2
MAP07: Lazarus (Complete) 1 2
MAP08: Triplet II (Complete) 1 2
MAP09: Fracture (Complete) 1 2
MAP10: The Tech Towers (Complete) 1 2
MAP11: Hello, Cybie! (Complete) 1 2
MAP12: Armageddon Valley (Complete) 1 2
MAP13: Stronghold Earth (Complete) 1 2
MAP14: Tyranny (Complete) 1 2
MAP15: Blade Runner (Complete) 1 2
MAP16: Dark Zone (Complete) 1 2
MAP17: Fatality (Complete) 1 2
MAP18: Sleeping Spirits (Complete) 1 2
MAP19: Dusk Town (Complete) 1 2
MAP20: One Such Reverie (Complete) 1 2
MAP21: Sunrise (Complete) 1 2
MAP22: Egyptian Plains (Complete) 1 2
MAP23: Cyclone Rider (Complete) 1 2
MAP24: Sewer System (Complete) 1 2
MAP25: Sever Tomorrow (Complete) 1 2
MAP26: Fallen Angel (Complete) 1 2
MAP27: Godspeed! (Complete) 1 2
MAP28: Turbine Accelerator (Complete) 1 2
MAP29: Salvation (Complete) 1 2
MAP30: Final Doom (Complete) 1 2
MAP31: Metal Mansion (Complete) 1 2
MAP32: Deadlock (Complete) 1 2

Originally a 3-level WAD, I've decided to pursue a full 32 level episode after much inspiration followed. This was originally started in August 2010 when I decided to take a break from Doom Core. I enjoyed working on this and appreciate everyone for all the help in getting this completed!

Musicians:
PRIMEVAL
Jimmy91
stewboy

Soundtrack:
=Track Listing=
Title Screen - "Reverie" (PRIMEVAL)
Intermission - "Onward" (PRIMEVAL)
Read Message - "Through Suffering" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP01 - "Let's Rock!" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP02 - "Shut Up And Bleed" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP03 - "Have A Frag On Me" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP04 - "Haunted Corridors" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP05 - "DOOM Funk" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP06 - "Ashes" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP07 - "Arachnobus Mayhem" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP08 - "Knee Deep in DOOM" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP09 - "Death Waltz in B Minor" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP10 - "Locked & Loaded" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP11 - "Guns-ablaze" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP12 - "Burning Times" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP13 - "The Calling" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP14 - "Legions of the Night" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP15 - "City Streets" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP16 - "Dispersion" (James Paddock)
MAP17 - "Fortress of Misery" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP18 - "Becoming" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP19 - "MDK" (James Paddock)
MAP20 - "Sludgeville" (stewboy)
MAP21 - "Darkness Calls" (James Paddock)
MAP22 - "Aztec Gods" (James Paddock)
MAP23 - "Relics" (James Paddock)
MAP24 - "Fallen Sun" (James Paddock)
MAP25 - "Killing Spree" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP26 - "The Crypt" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP27 - "Bound For Glory" (PRIMEVAL, stewboy and James Paddock)
MAP28 - "Crimson Sky" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP29 - "Hell's Last Stand" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP30 - "After The Storm" (stewboy)
MAP31 - "Lost In Our Dreams" (PRIMEVAL)
MAP32 - "Stigmatism" (PRIMEVAL)

Video Preview:

~valkiriforce

Looks outstanding. I never said anything at the time, but when you posted that video in the videos thread I was thinking "Daaaaaammmmmmnnnnn". I'm looking forward to this.

Holy shit! I love seeing all these great projects crop up. Godspeed, Doomer. I'd offer to playtest but I've never playtested before and the idea of playtesting a megawad on top of my inexperience feels daunting.

Looks pretty cool :-)

I could offer playtesting perhaps (whenever I can fit in between my studying and shit). Just let me know what kind of feedback you are looking for and such and I'll try my best!

kmxexii said:

Holy shit! I love seeing all these great projects crop up. Godspeed, Doomer. I'd offer to playtest but I've never playtested before and the idea of playtesting a megawad on top of my inexperience feels daunting.

Well, even the smallest of comments toward what needs fixing would be helpful. :)

valkiriforce said:

Well, even the smallest of comments toward what needs fixing would be helpful. :)

Well, put me down then. I'm finishing up a marathon of memento mori 1 & 2 so I suppose I'm in the proper mindset!

I like it a lot because it looks dated even though it's not.

Doesn't look dated IMO, just has a nice old school feeling behind it. Although you could argue that what I just described is synonymous with dated. :P

Hmmm... I always love megaWADs! Even if the map aren't as good as I want to see :) but it's not true about this... nice maps!

I'm loving that title screen, although the marine silhouette doesnt blend in so well so it looks too much like you've just pasted him over that image

Heheh, I think I know that pier you used in the titlepic. Somewhere in socal? Haven't gone by it for a while. The pics look nice and classic. I'm basically off school now, so I could playtest. Keep at it, you're getting pretty close to done.

Thank you guys for the support, I'd send the WAD for testing but I'm just busy fixing up some things. Recently, I seem to have come across a savegame buffer on MAP08, which is strange because it saved just fine earlier. I've been struggling to figure out what I did - I even deleted all the things on the map leaving just one player start just to see if it would still crash - and it did. Does anyone know of any other things that might cause a savegame buffer besides the things?

Wow, I'm touched that you're actually working so hard to try to make this vanilla-compatible.

This looks like it'll be a really good classic style megawad, some of these levels look like they'll be really fun.

This looks awesome so far for a classic-style megawad. I'll take a break from those brutal megawads to try this out once it's finished.

Just finished MAP27, just making some fixes here and there thanks to the playtesters. :) I'll round out a bit on MAP27 before I release it for the playtesters to play around with (screenshots found above).

darkreaver said:

Is the wad co-op friendly?

To be honest with you, I've only played co-op once in my life. Not because I didn't enjoy it, I've just not really gotten around to playing Doom online (though it is a pretty cool experience). Maybe if the testers have some experience with co-op they could make suggestions as to what could be added/changed to help make the megawad more co-op friendly. So yeah, I have almost no experience in the category. :P

valkiriforce said:
Maybe if the testers have some experience with co-op they could make suggestions as to what could be added/changed to help make the megawad more co-op friendly.

The most basic requirement is to make sure that players can reopen areas they already went through, otherwise they may die and not be able to progress anymore when they respawn. For example, if bars lower or a floor rises from a first area to a second one, make sure they can be raised or lowered again from the first area.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

myk said:

The most basic requirement is to make sure that players can reopen areas they already went through, otherwise they may die and not be able to progress anymore when they respawn. For example, if bars lower or a floor rises from a first area to a second one, make sure they can be raised or lowered again from the first area.

Yeah, I kinda figured stuff like that; like the opening puzzle in MAP04 can be navigated a second time when taken back to the start. Actually, I try to make each level have a means for navigation. On MAP06 once you've made your way to the end there's a portal that opens up giving access to several past areas for quicker and easier navigation. But yeah, thanks for the advice. :)

If this will be a vanilla-compatible megawad, then how will it have a bridge like in map 13's second screenshot?