Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Reverie - A New Vanilla Doom II Megawad (Final Idgames Link!)

NoneeLlama said:

If this will be a vanilla-compatible megawad, then how will it have a bridge like in map 13's second screenshot?

Likely the same way such bridges were done in Memento Mori 2's MAP26 (for example).

This looks pretty cool. will be fun to play through this. :)

*enters topic*

I just wanted to tell you, valkiriforce, good luck. We're all counting on you.

*leaves topic*

If you're interested in having coop support tested, I could probably manage sometime in the near future. Just let me know.

New screens up for MAP18; it's complete structurally but I still need to place monsters/items/etc. which never takes long.

This MAP18 look incredibly similar to the Icarus MAP19. Did you have some inspirations from that level?

Katamori said:

This MAP18 look incredibly similar to the Icarus MAP19. Did you have some inspirations from that level?

Absolutely, it's the only level I've ever played that had rain in it. So I made my own animated rain texture and created a mansion level to go along with it.

Just wanted to let you know my computer died over a week ago so I was severely delayed from working on this again. I didn't lose any work, it just took awhile for me to get a new computer. I just need to settle in a little bit before I make any more updates.

The second screenshot of MAP01 looks like you just cut and pasted some parts of Doom 2's MAP01 together badly, with an ungodly awful slime trail. Which is weird, because the rest of the shots look great.

hawkwind said:

If you would like more playtesters, I'm available.

Let me just finish up something first before I send it out to you.

[EDIT] Check first post for some new screens for MAP16 & MAP17. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

Awesome... please tell me you included an Icarus styled silver station map. :)

Well, the beginning of MAP08 uses silver textures, but this is mostly in due part of the original Triplet's first area using silver textures. But all the same it's certainly a silver station of some sort. :)

Will the level exits be made to look like the start of the next level (like in Eternal Doom and some other WADs)?
I think doing so would make the megawad seem more coherent and enjoyable.

Processingcontrol said:

Will the level exits be made to look like the start of the next level (like in Eternal Doom and some other WADs)?
I think doing so would make the megawad seem more coherent and enjoyable.

Funny you should say that, some weeks ago when I didn't have a computer for a while, I had the idea to try and make each level transition with one another (because before my old computer died I was playing Cleimos 2). So when I got a brand new computer I added transition points on each level. Even though most of them are accessed through teleports, it still seams to have a pleasing effect.

To sum up, I've never said that previously, but now I must: the WAD looks very nice, also I've never seen any WADs that gives as many inspirations and idea as yours.

valkiriforce said:

Funny you should say that, some weeks ago when I didn't have a computer for a while, I had the idea to try and make each level transition with one another (because before my old computer died I was playing Cleimos 2). So when I got a brand new computer I added transition points on each level. Even though most of them are accessed through teleports, it still seams to have a pleasing effect.

Worked nicely for Icarus. Even as something as simple as "SHIP EXIT," "PLANET EXIT" and "SIMU EXIT" gave the WAD a little more cohesion.

Katamori said:

Question: how many times did you make one map?

I've been working on this since August of 2010; most of the maps were either made within a day or over the course of a few days. I hope this answer was relevant to your question, as I wasn't sure how to interpret it.

valkiriforce said:

I've been working on this since August of 2010; most of the maps were either made within a day or over the course of a few days. I hope this answer was relevant to your question, as I wasn't sure how to interpret it.

If you worked one or a few day on the map, it might be finished over 2 months. In this case, what did do you do under the (near) one year? :D

Katamori said:

If you worked one or a few day on the map, it might be finished over 2 months. In this case, what did do you do under the (near) one year? :D

Come to think of it, there were also 3 levels that were later taken out and made as a part of Doom Core; so in total from August of last year to late this June I've made about 31 maps for Reverie (but 3 were rejected so it's actually 28). So I'm sure I can make four maps and finish this megawad before the year is over.