Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Minecraft and Doom - cross the 2 best games of all time!

I love Doom, it's unambiguous. Also I love Minecraft. The most creative game of history.

But what happens when we make a crossover?
Well, tell me you opinion, and watch these videos:

Doom in Minecraft

Minecraft in Doom

hervoheebo said:

Yeah, no.

OK, I can understand if you wouldn't like it, but these games are my personal favourites, and when I've found this video, I think: what if I post these videos to the Doomworld Forum?

From what I understand of Minecraft, basically all you do is dig into the ground to gather resources in order to build things. In the beta they added enemies and health and weapons and such to make it more interesting I suppose. I guess there really isn't an overall point or goal to playing it. It's more just something you do in your spare time for fun.

Megamur said:

I'm still not exactly sure what you do in Minecraft.

Survive, build, create your own goals. It's a game that requires creativity to enjoy.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

From what I understand of Minecraft, basically all you do is dig into the ground to gather resources in order to build things. In the beta they added enemies and health and weapons and such to make it more interesting I suppose. I guess there really isn't an overall point or goal to playing it. It's more just something you do in your spare time for fun.

Sounds like an MMO: kill stuff to get stronger so you can kill stronger stuff to get even stronger. You either commit to it forever or realize you're never going to actually get anywhere and you quit.

I'm not into Minecraft, or other games like it (Harvest Moon series, etc.), but I think it would be cool from a technical perspective if that game could read Doom PWAD files and run them, or vice-versa if you could create Doom maps in there and play them with any Doom port.

The imp was impressive. I played minecraft for a few hours on one my friends servers... I didn't really see the point. I kind of see how it's fun as they were making an entire city and had created an impressive array of buildings and structures. But the game has no point and running around wasting hours to break/find resources for no reason is silly. I probably would have found it more fun if you had unlimited of everything in order to build because it's basically a sandbox game.

That would never work, putting Minecraft maps in DOOM. Minecraft seems to be a full-3D engine, and seems based on blocks instead of lines and sectors like DOOM. Putting DOOM maps in Minecraft wouldn't be as hard, but would probably still be sloppy. Wolf 3D maps would probably convert better, since they're just made up of squares. But I'm no expert on these kinds of subjects.

Megamur said:

I'm still not exactly sure what you do in Minecraft.

Copypasta said:

Ah, yes, "Minecraft."

Let me tell you Doomworld it still baffles me how people can enjoy this absolute tripe. I consider myself a lenient kind of gamer, and I did buy the Minecraft beta to see what all the fuss was about, and it was bewildering. There was no introduction, no objective, no direction, no kind of imperitave to do anything of any kind, just a vast, bleak world and myself, an ugly, blocky human being. This is one of the best games of last year?

I gave it every chance I could, I consulted others to see what I was missing. Apparantely I was expected to "make my own fun," and my own creativity was supposed to drive the "experience." And this is a *game*? Isn't that like saying a black canvas with some available paints is a work of art? Pathetic.

Needless to say, something was not right. No normal person would develop or even concieve of a game as heartless as this. So I did a little digging around and what did I find? Minecraft is developed by a man who goes by the alias "Notch," a.k.a Markus Persson, a SWEDISH game designer.

Yes, you heard correctly.

In case the average Doomworld goer is unaware, I will remind you all that Sweden is one of the MOST athiest nations ON EARTH. According to recent studies, belief in God is around 23%! Less than a QUARTER of swedes believe in the almighty! Suddenly it all clicked in to place. Of course, who else would create a game in which there was NO greater meaning or purpose but one who actively disbelieved in a higher purpose! Minecraft is the very essence of the atheist world-view, we are born, bewildered and directionless into a world with no goals or purposes except to shelter ourselves from predators, since as we know, the only thing the atheist believes is "Survival of the Fittest." I can't wait for the full versions release, I'm sure it will come with a free copy of "Origin of Species" and "The God Delusion!" I am deeply ashamed of my fellow Americans for buying in to this godless piece of non-art, and also in you, Kotaku, for failing to provide coverage on its true nature.

I know Tom Hall himself was very fond of Minecraft. However, I do see a certain element of scamming people by basically conning them into making their own game instead of the developer doing it himself... Then again, I feel sort of the same way with competitive multiplayer games: Why try to come up with interesting enemy design, AI, setpieces, or some semblance of story or even progression through the levels when you can just drop everybody in a randomly-themed map and have them create their own action? And look how ungodly popular that is.

I don't get why people complain about linearity in games, then complain when a game comes out that lets you do whatever the hell you want.

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't get why people complain about linearity in games, then complain when a game comes out that lets you do whatever the hell you want.

Since usually the games that let you do whatever you want ultimately give you nothing to strive for. There are no challenges to overcome. You simply...continue.

I don't see why Minecraft is bad by simply providing a sandbox to play in. If someone wants handholding all the way, there's always Final Fantasy, etc. There are also games that have a more middle-ground approach.

I've no interest in it because: a) won't run on my OS, b) not free/open, c) not interested in micromanaging every little thing (if you could script/automate, that would be better)

Minecraft is a great game mostly because you can do whatever you want!
There are also a ton of mods out there to spice things up..
Your really only limited by your imagination, though it can get boring after a time (but I tend to go in cycles of hardcore playing and neglect with my favorite games).

Megamur said:

Since usually the games that let you do whatever you want ultimately give you nothing to strive for. There are no challenges to overcome. You simply...continue.

I tend to make my own goals, kinda like in life, only easier and no bills to pay :V

I haven't played Minecraft yet, but this looks pretty fun. The main guy sounds like he's from the Simpsons. :P

Pretty much like real life, yet somehow about 7 billions of people play that one.

Heh, I actually made MAP07 in Minecraft this week (since it is all right angles, easy to translate to minecraft). Although only the inner section is done, because I need an immense amount of material to do the outer arachnotron section (and it's not fun for me to cheat, I like having to go out and find materials myself).

Coopersville said:

Copypasta stuff

I can't believe religion got into this discussion. That guy must have a twisted mind to create such a "conspiracy".
Bahh... What could I possibly say that hasn't been said a million times already...

Well on topic, I have bought and spent a few hours in Minecraft, it was fun. I actually had the idea of making E1M1 on it, but with colored blocks (with wool), but then it was too much work... what Vorpal said: "and it's not fun for me to cheat, I like having to go out and find materials myself".
I rather just dig and accumulate riches. And the best thing is that I can play offline.

One of these days I'll build a pixel art Ouch Face on my friend's multiplayer server; I already built a creeper face, but it was 8x9 and only required two colours of wool. I think an Ouch Face would be 24x32 and I'd probably need dirt and other blocks in addition to wool. Plus it still won't be as awesome as that imp...

cbronson said:
I can't believe religion got into this discussion.

I once saw a site that argued the opposite: that Minecraft was the ultimate Christian game because the light was your saviour, or something like that...
Edit: heh

Still, there are clues to the Christian purpose of the game. The most obvious is the name: Minecraft Alpha. This is of course a reference to Jesus' revelation that He is the Alpha and the Omega (Rev. 22:13).

this made me XD

I can't wait to play Minecraft Omega: Origin of Species

Whenever I play Minecraft, I wonder where my gun is.

Birdbrain said:

It doesn't seem to have much replay value and the author doesn't add much to it, it seems.

wat

Maybe if your experience deals only in combat or "starting from scratch". Given that you can do whatever you want whenever you want, and with mods the game itself isn't even a limit, this game has among the most replay value to it of any game out there. Hell, even more than Doom mods since the game has a vast multitude of things to build and make that don't involve killing monsters.

The second half of that sentence just tells me you don't follow the updates. A fair bit is added in in each update, and if not, then there's plenty of bugfixes.

I love Minecraft... I just don't like that it has no point. Like an alien dumps you off on a different planet. Sure there's a billion things to do... but why are you there?