Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Israeli Troops Fire as Marchers Breach Borders

"JERUSALEM — Israels borders erupted in deadly clashes on Sunday as thousands of Palestinians — marching from Syria, Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank — confronted Israeli troops to mark the anniversary of Israel’s creation. More than a dozen people were reported killed and scores injured."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/world/middleeast/16mideast.html?ref=world

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/world/middleeast/16golan.html

This has me scratching my head. Apparently this was staged by the government of Syria who controls the border and it was done to scare Israel. I have to ask what the hell they where thinking? Some thing like this is only going to end in violence. The people breaching the borders where pretty much asking to get shot. If anything its only going to alienate Syria even more then they are now in the eyes of NATO. Its also going to cause Israel to step up border security.

I hope this does not start a wide scale conflict between the two. If it does I'm sure of it does start a war the US and NATO will try to step in and fight with Israel due to there strong ties. That would be incredibly detrimental due to how thin both forces are spread in the middle east already.

Satyr000 said:

I have to ask what the hell they where thinking? Some thing like this is only going to end in violence.

Hi, welcome to the Middle East. Enjoy your stay.

Satyr000 said:

Apparently this was staged by the government of Syria who controls the border and it was done to scare Israel.

While the Syrian government might have played a part, for most of the people involved it was a way to mark Nakba Day.

Now this might just be me, but surely a protest on the other side of a fence doesn't justify a barrage of bullets and tank fire? It seems to me that Israel's military are a bunch of trigger happy goons who just can't get over themselves and their big guns. This isn't the first time they've shot up unarmed civilians, and the most they ever get is a limp slap on the wrist.

If a bunch of people showed up to pelt rocks at me I'd shoot them too. Of course the Israelis are hotheads, but so is everybody else in the middle east it seems. Maybe it's the sand, or the weather or something.

You would think the Israelis of all people would be averse to murdering civilians. I guess not.

DeathevokatioN said:

Now this might just be me, but surely a protest on the other side of a fence doesn't justify a barrage of bullets and tank fire? It seems to me that Israel's military are a bunch of trigger happy goons who just can't get over themselves and their big guns. This isn't the first time they've shot up unarmed civilians, and the most they ever get is a limp slap on the wrist.

This. In practice, Israel can do whatever they fucking want. And they do.

darkreaver said:

This. In practice, Israel can do whatever they fucking want. And they do.

And if you complain about it, they play the "YOUR ANTISEMITE, HURR DURR, SIMON WIESENTHAL WILL HAVE YO ASS!" card.

DeathevokatioN said:

Now this might just be me, but surely a protest on the other side of a fence doesn't justify a barrage of bullets and tank fire?

Are we looking at the same photo? I see a breach by an angry mob. Cease and desist or be fired upon.

bytor said:

Cease and desist or be fired upon.

Sieg heil!

...with the prospect of any one of those "protesters" running up to you and blowing themselves up.

bytor said:

...with the prospect of any one of those "protesters" running up to you and blowing themselves up.

Yeah, this new breed of super-agile suicide bombers that can climb fences, run fast enough to reach soldiers posted several dozens meter away from the fence before they react, AND carry enough explosive to do serious damage to their layers of kevlar, and all that while looking normally clothed, is really something to behold. Chuck Norris himself wouldn't hold a candle to these guys. Maybe they are suicide ghost zombies from ZDoom?!

Truly, the very bleeding edge of military technology in the modern battlefield, and the Israelis (as well as any serious strategists) better not underestimate them. Hell, the US Army is considering copying off these guys tactics!

Maes said:

And if you complain about it, they play the "YOUR ANTISEMITE, HURR DURR, SIMON WIESENTHAL WILL HAVE YO ASS!" card.

Yeah, truly pathetic. That card lost it's impact by the 10th time I've witnessed it get pulled against someone who was merely calling Israel out on how their trigger happy military conducts itself.

And with regards to that picture, when you look closer it actually looks like a normal protest to me. I've read up on Lebanon eye witness accounts off the wiki last night saying that the protesters didn't breach the MAIN border that actually counts, those were just extra fences. Either way, do you really think it still justifies tanks and soldiers shooting into crowds? 13 deaths and over 30 wounded is quite a toll, and obviously means that quite alot of bullets were shot and probably that the firing continued even after the crowd was dispersed..... what a waste of life.

Whoa, just came across this:

This In May 2011, the Israeli group Im Tirtzu launched a campaign, stating that "the Nakba is a myth and a scam, aimed at rewriting history and making the victim the aggressor".

You can't be serious.

DeathevokatioN said:

And with regards to that picture, when you look closer it actually looks like a normal protest to me.

this is shit and this thread is shit.

/joke!

Satyr000 said:

I have to ask what the hell they where thinking?

Apparently, not very hard.

Israelis were right, most of the people in here complaining are wrong.

dew said:

this is shit and this thread is shit.

Seriously, other than people climbing over fences, there really is nothing else going on that I can see here that doesn't happen in normal protests. Sadly there are always a few people that will use a protest to throw stones, but it still doesn't justify cannon fire and gun fire. The protesters stayed on the Lebanon side of the fence.

Ralphis said:

Israelis were right, most of the people in here complaining are wrong.

When there's a sudden "gang up on Israel" kick in the media these days (especially in the Alex Jones spectrum of Illuminati derp) this was bound to happen. "I heard from a friend that skyped with a dude from Kuwait who heard on the news that Israel is shooting Syrians, man!" should never be used as credible news, and the Media needs to stop using fucking Twitter reports as actual sources, especially on shit as racially, religiously, and politically charged as the Israeli "conflict".

Those guys in the picture aren't protesting. They're just some kids who heard there's a 25% discount on Sony Playstation consoles and games at the Tel Aviv electronics boutique.

and it wasn't the israeli army shooting at them, it was the sony defence corps punishing queue jumpers.

I blame Hitler. If not for his half-baked "Final Solution" the jews would be running Europe instead of scrapping over a strip of desert.

GreyGhost said:

I blame Hitler. If not for his half-baked "Final Solution" the jews would be running Europe instead of scrapping over a strip of desert.

If it weren't for Germany or Russia, there might have been a possibility.

There's no promised land in europe anyway, only nude beaches and vineyards.

hex11 said:

There's no promised land in europe anyway, only nude beaches and vineyards.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like...wait, what?

Ah but were they actually crossing the border of Israel or climbing over the fence Israel erected in Palestine into another part of Palestine?

Also there's a protest at least once a week at one part of the wall where Palestinians walk up, wave a few signs and have tear gas fired at them. At the five year anniversary of the protest they made a day of it and had mimes and shit.

Maes said:

Yeah. Not related to the rest of the thread, but I've got this friend who really goes like that whenever it's implied that the Jews aren't perfect. If only he'd open his eyes for one second and not take everything in the Bible at face value... but I guess that's the fundamentalist way.