Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spirrwell

Recommended Source Port(s) with online and high-resolution capabilities?

It's been a while, but I thought I would get back into Doom\Doom II. The port that I have been using for now is the Risen3D port. Although I would like some recommendations from the more familiar users.

What I'm looking for is a source port with online capability and with high resolution capability. By high resolution I mean like high res textures and models. Basically I'm looking for something LIKE this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmXQgtHNpfM but with online play.

Any of your suggestions is greatly appreciated.

If you are looking specifically for a client/server multiplayer port, your main choices are Odamex, ZDaemon, and Skulltag. Of those, I think the one closest to what you want would be Skulltag, but I don't play much multiplayer, and I don't use 3D models, either, so don't take my word for it.

If this thread is anything to go by, it seems like you can use 3D models with Skulltag, but again, I wouldn't really know how well supported they are.

I think Risen3D or GZDoom would be more suitable for your general play if you like to use models and high-res textures, but they don't have the same fancy multiplayer features as the above three engines, so that might be a deal-breaker for you.

Skulltag is used for playing online. I'm pretty sure it can support hi-res texture, although I'm not sure about the models.

EDIT: Mithran beat me to it.

Yeah, Skulltag in OpenGL mode supports models (MD2, MD3 and DMD models). High-res textures are supported in both software and OpenGL mode.

Note that contrarily to Risen3D, Skulltag isn't shipped with its own model pack, so you'll have to convert the Risen3D model definitions to MODELDEF (there's sadly no cross-port standard for this) or find a pack where this has already been done.

Does anybody know where I could find a model pack of some kind for Skulltag? I've looked around and all I could find is some links that link to nothing because they're too old. It's not a necessity, but it's something I'd like to have.

skulltag is based off GZDOOM so everything GZDOOM can do, skulltag can do as well.

... to some extent because there's a long delay between the addition of a feature to ZDoom or GZDoom and Skulltag catching up with it. To cite some example, current versions of GZDoom can feature free-roaming complex-shaped polyobjects, textured automaps, alternate MIDI formats, FluidSynth MIDI rendering; all things that Skulltag cannot do.

For license reasons, Skulltag also cannot offer some of the features proposed by ZDoom or GZDoom, notably support for FraggleScript (allowing to play some Doom Legacy maps correctly) or the MAME-derived OPL emulator.

Gez said:

For license reasons, Skulltag also cannot offer some of the features proposed by ZDoom or GZDoom, notably support for FraggleScript (allowing to play some Doom Legacy maps correctly) or the MAME-derived OPL emulator.

Didn't Graf change license for the GZDoom renderer too, so Skulltag is stuck with the old one?