Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

How to take a texture from a wad.

Hey, I just want to know how to pull a single texture from a texture wad so I can put it in my level.

E: I don't want to have to load a whole texture wad that's 3 megs to use 1 texture btw.

Use a lump management tool like XWE or Slade3, export the file, then using the same utility, import the texture into your wad. If it is just a single texture, I would suggest renaming it to replace a texture already defined in Doom, that way you don't have to create a new PNAMES/TEXTURE1 lump just for that one texture.

For instance, if the custom texture in question is 128x128, you can insert the lump into your wad with the name "WOLF1", and it will replace the gray wolfenstein brick texture "ZZWOLF1". Beware though, if the texture you replace is a multi-patch texture (e.g. it uses more than one lump graphic), then you will not get the same results.

Look here for more info.

If I theoretically did want to make a new lump for that texture what would i do? I looked at some wads and tried just making a PP_START and PP_END but it didn't work.

To add a texture that doesn't exist in the IWAD (having already imported your patch) in XWE is a matter of right-clicking on the patch and selecting "Add to Texture". The PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps will be created if they don't already exist and the selected patch added to both. When added that way the patch name also becomes the texture name, though it can be edited. Slade has a similar if slightly more torturous path to the same goal through the right-click "Gfx" sub-menu.

GreyGhost said:

Slade has a similar if slightly more torturous path to the same goal through the right-click "Gfx" sub-menu.

It will have texture copy&paste in the next release (AFAIK, even multi-patch ones).
Edit: SlayeR made a beta release this same day!

GreyGhost said:

Multi-patch texture copy/paste! Me want! O_O

You can probably ask SlayeR to post a test build, since Gez stopped making them...

Yeah I should get around to releasing 3.0.2 beta2 sometime soon, which will have this feature.

Edit: It's done.