Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

Your Favourite Map Style

Mine is typical the PSX DOOM, around 80% of all monsters are placed intellectually so they can move around the entire map, eventhough the AI is totally screwed up when it comes to move around objects.
It also have this empty, dead atmosphere, gave me the creeps when I first played it :)

it really takes you to another hopeless planet

Something with a recognizable theme and good atmosphere. Not too much detail (overall architecture is more important). A good mix of hard and easy fights, but nothing extremely difficult like HR. Ideally includes some good puzzles and secrets.

Examples: Icarus, Dark Covenant, Wasteland series, Docking Crater Alpha, Deimos Subway, Doomsday of the UAC

I like maps with techbase or sewers, also very beautiful outlooks or something, no matter is hellish or not. About the difficulty, it's random.

Example: SOD map31, AV map13, AV map10, CC3 map27, CC3 map17.

Gusta's non-linear maps (most of his PL2 stuff, ksutra map18, etc). KS2 is going to kick everyone's ass!

Is there a KS2 in development? :)

Edit: I personally didn't enjoy his PL2 stuff that I played, every fight felt too much the same, and every map also started feeling a little too similar before I got bored. I prefer his KS stuff by far though.

Vanilla maps in style of The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Plutonia Experiment, TNT: Evilution, Memento Mori 1 & 2, Requiem, Icarus, all the good 90's materiel that wasn't uber-detailed (not that I mind that) but had a strong sense of replayability. I love how Alien Vendetta can manage to be very well detailed while maintaining vanilla compatibility and still being loads of fun.

Something large and complex that's well designed where you can run around for 30-60 minutes without getting bored.

A good example would be Nimrod's MAP07, KDiZD's Z1M3 or nearly all of Hi-Tech Hell 2.

All of them.

I don't really have a favorite style, as I can equally enjoy almost any map that is generally well designed. I do have a soft spot for interesting architecture and texturing, though, a lot more than I do for the actual combat in a map.

Or at least, I'll get bored more quickly with a shitty looking map that plays well than I will with a map that has interesting visuals, but uninspiring gameplay. Ideally both aspects meet, but in a lot of cases I'll prefer to take in an interesting environment, rather than worry about killing imp #2,742,383 and his cohorts across the level.

Fasted paced short maps of any theme.
I just can't play through most medium to large maps with out getting board.

I like more Gothic themed maps that make good use of the MArble and Wood textures, with some flesh textures mixed in. I just find these styles of maps more asthetically pleasing on the eye.

Also maps intended to 'scare' the player r whatever, those are good too. Well, something like the Aliens TC I mean.

i really like outdoor spaces because lets be honest theirs not enough
of them and for combat in multiplayer it makes more sense as a well lit combat space

I really do love rhapsodical levels.

NOT the ones that slam entirely different textures into one area. Admit that seeing a techbase carpet (FLAT14) being compiled with moving flesh walls (SKINFACE) wouldn't appeal to you either. By "rhapsodical", I mean most of the E2-styled levels which are well done and represent us how beautifully a SLADWALL-styled techbase forms into a hadistic SP_HOT1 church. Or so. The essence is to look gorgeous and fitful as well.

Wads that make me ragequit for short periods of time before I come right back to them are the best.

40oz said:

Wads that make me ragequit for short periods of time before I come right back to them are the best.

This, pretty much.

Also, slaughtermaps (Phmlspd MAP12, New Gothic Movement MAP13, Deus Vult II Map23, Speed Of Doom MAP32, etc) and ID styled levels. Ultimate Doom <3

My personal favorites are of the quick, short maps with steady flow. Scythe X is one of my very favorite episodes because the maps just give the player such a feeling of progression and solidity. Like Super Meat Boy, almost, in that you know you beat the map through pure skill, and not just by cheating the system.

Also, exploration-based maps are interesting, but to keep them from getting stale, they generally need Zdoom features.

Malinku said:

Fasted paced short maps of any theme.
I just can't play through most medium to large maps with out getting board.

Pretty much as above, if by fast paced Malinku means a level flow that allows you to progress through the level quickly and avoids traits that tend to slow down the action such as switch hunts, backtracking, mazes and puzzle areas. Thing placement is what I appreciate most when done well.

purist said:

Pretty much as above, if by fast paced Malinku means a level flow that allows you to progress through the level quickly and avoids traits that tend to slow down the action such as switch hunts, backtracking, mazes and puzzle areas. Thing placement is what I appreciate most when done well.

exactly this. it's a process that seems very tedious to me, i don't feel like playing a map when i'm running through hallways littered with corpses and no idea what to do next. gameplay comes before visuals, a good map might be base style, wooden, hellish or whatever if it just ''flows'' well.

Speaking of slow-paced levels, it is rather hard to keep long-scretched maps to be also still fun to play. I mean, for example, Alien Vendetta MAP25 or MAP27. It was hard to finish them awake!

kristus said:

Generally? The style of the maps I make myself.

Yeah, pretty much. Ganymede and World in Strife are the sort of maps I enjoy.