Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

Childrens Japanese Nuclear Cartoon: It is safe to drink plutonium!

OK, I'm pretty sure that by searching for every country's and its people's flaws and shortcomings, their politician's mistakes (and the kind of bullshit and absurdities they are ready to put up with), we can probably find equally unflattering "gems", and say "HA! In my country that wouldn't fly! Poor [sheeple X], how gullible they are! Totally unlike us who keep our shit wired tight and know better than to be tricked into [scam Y]!"

Yet...this one is hard to top, IMO:

I remember when sugar was used to sell cereals to our youth. Sugar Crisp, Sugar Smacks, Sugar Pops, etc. Then some stupid grownups decided sugar was bad for us kids and forced the manufacturers to lower their sugar content and drop "sugar" from the names. I'm still bitter.

The '90s win again.

Who didn't see this in their arcade?

I saw this about 100 god damn times on TV.

I consider this a PSA considering I saw nearly one day every week for ten fucking years. To this day, I shop at Sears partially because of this video.

m

bytor said:

I remember when sugar was used to sell cereals to our youth. Sugar Crisp, Sugar Smacks, Sugar Pops, etc. Then some stupid grownups decided sugar was bad for us kids and forced the manufacturers to lower their sugar content and drop "sugar" from the names. I'm still bitter.

Yeah...lets drop natural sugar and replace it with those artificial sweeteners that give you immediate and forceful chocolate shotgun blasts instead! That's much healthier, right?

Jodwin said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Toxicity

I've seen worse propaganda than that.

Propaganda works both ways. If you read that excerpt you linked, Plutonium is not exactly described as a cure of all ailments, and it's much better NOT to be exposed to it than it is to be. The cartoon itself is inaccurate in saying that you can just pee and poo it out with no harm at all, and, anyway, it's a fucking radioactive poison, and that cartoon is factually inaccurate and dangerously misleading, as well as a piece of propaganda aimed at a pretty gullible people with an extreme sense of respect for the authorities, period.

OK, getting bitten by a rattlesnake would be much more of a medical emergency but still, TEPCO and the nuclear lobbies (and several governments) have to downplay and tone down the dangers in the name of "keeping panic down" or whatever. Still, I'm 100% positive that this shit wouldn't fly anywhere else in the world. An American wouldn't buy it. A Finn wouldn't buy it (except maybe you, thank Japanophilia for that ;-). A Greek wouldn't buy it. Even the last subsaharan African wouldn't buy it!

It doesn't help that NATO spokesmen said exactly the same things about depleted uranium, when the scandal over its use in Serbia and Kosovo erupted. Back then, they literally said that smoking a cigarette was worse than eating a couple of grams of DU a day! Of course, none bought it, in that part of the world, but it might have served to clear the conscience of some gullible heel-clicker somewhere.

Yeah, most people wouldn't buy it even if they had made it accurate. People are so scared of nuclear technologies that they should be denied the vote for sucking at science. Also, how old is that video? It looks like a VHS rip, implying we might be able to treat it as a historical relic like those videos warning us about gay people (which were far worse propaganda).

It's funny they ever felt a need to make one of these about plutonium, though. That stuff really is rare. In my lifetime I'm sure I'm going to get far more radiation from the gamma-ray emitting smoke detector outside my door.

No matter how old it is, fast-forwarding to 2011 doesn't seem to bring any progress in that respect. And you'd expect the only people to have suffered the offensive use of nuclear weapons to treat the matter with more sensitivity than to equate it with farting and shitting:

Why? Why should they equate it to anything else when they're trying to explain it to small children? That cartoon is hilarious.

Aliotroph? said:

Why? Why should they equate it to anything else when they're trying to explain it to small children?

Because it's actually worse than shit and farts? I can't actually recall how I was briefed about Chernobyl (I was 6 at the time) but surely it wasn't such a playful mockery, and we were informed primarily that something quite bad had happened. But hey, maybe we were all just a bunch of dirty gaijins, and "grease" ones at that, so what would we know....

Clonehunter said:

Nuclear Boy looks like Tofu.

I find your new avatar to be most disturbing.

This guy approves of Plutonium. So much that he legally changed his name to "Archimedes Plutonium".

Maes said:

Because it's actually worse than shit and farts? I can't actually recall how I was briefed about Chernobyl (I was 6 at the time) but surely it wasn't such a playful mockery, and we were informed primarily that something quite bad had happened. But hey, maybe we were all just a bunch of dirty gaijins, and "grease" ones at that, so what would we know....

I have a hard time caring when the Japanese do things like this though. I think it's because they do it to everything, so all I can do is shake my head and laugh at them now. They are terrible at bearing bad news to the point where half of them can't do it. They do need to fix that element of their culture pretty badly.

On the other hand, they panic so much over things like this that maybe it does us all good to lie to them and compare nuclear disasters with diarrhea.

What's with the "dirty gaijin" thing? We're all that too. Really, the only part of their culture I liked when I was there was the obsession with efficient public transport and their considerably more liberal (than anywhere in North America) drinking laws. In those cities I visited it looked like their culture was driving them to drink and act like zombies for fear of offending anyone on the way to work. the confusing part was they loved to party after work and didn't mind everybody getting drunk.

Aliotroph? said:

... the only part of their culture I liked when I was there was the obsession with efficient public transport...

... Maybe too efficient.

LOL Gez, I've seen that one before... haha.

This reminds me of that duck and cover film in teh 50's.

Gez said:

... Maybe too efficient.

I never did see the guys shoving people into the trains, despite seeing and riding some that crowded.

Heh, that Duck and Cover vid has a great song.

Mr. Freeze said:

I consider this a PSA considering I saw nearly one day every week for ten fucking years. To this day, I shop at Sears partially because of this video.

Oh damn it, I remember that one. I'd see it in high school and go "WTF, I remember seeing this when I was a little kid! They still have 90s hair!

Actually Japan's nuclear "disaster" hasn't been anywhere near as bad as the media made out, even the Japanese media. Some parts of the "evacuation zone" have barely-elevated levels at all. You have to be standing at the gates of the plant before you get serious readings. A far cry from the "fallout raining on Tokyo" stories we were bombarded with.

Also if anybody in this thread has a website called debito.org open in another tab and is using that for information, don't. The guy is fucking mental, he passes himself off as an "equality campaigner" but actually he just rushed into a life in Japan and now nothing anybody in Japan does can possibly be good in his eyes.

deathbringer said:

Actually Japan's nuclear "disaster" hasn't been anywhere near as bad as the media made out.

It's disturbing how far this ridiculous spin-doctoring has reached. So I presume they just evacuated people for shows, and also made up news of discovering contaminated foodstuff? I'd like to see any and all Fukushima apologists repeat their apologies after taking a bit chunk off a piece of lettuce grown at about 10 km from the plant, although a leisurely stroll arount the "not so contaminated" evacuation zone will also do the trick, the very least we won't have to be worried about their offspring anymore ;-)

But hey hey hey, stick there long enough to achieve complete sterility, OK? I wouldn't want someone's nuclear handicapped offspring weigh on MY welfare budget....

Well, next thing, they'll resurrect some of the Radium quack medicines and the "scientists" behind them, by buying them off with a courtesy car or something, for them to praise the beneficial effects of "a bit" of extra radioactivity in the sea. And the heel-clickers will furiously consume at least a pair of soles every day.

deathbringer said:

Also if anybody in this thread has a website called debito.org open in another tab and is using that for information, don't. The guy is fucking mental, he passes himself off as an "equality campaigner" but actually he just rushed into a life in Japan and now nothing anybody in Japan does can possibly be good in his eyes.

You're an idiot. Do you live in Japan and see every day the benefits of Debito's work in front of your very eyes? If you don't, then you need to stop calling him mental.

A lot of gaijin drink the anti-Debito kool aid, humans have this way of attacking the victim and not the aggressor.