Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Vanguard released to /idgames

I found the beta thread a few weeks ago from an IRC chat link and had the chance to play it ahead of the release. It's rather good, I recommend you give it a try. You might want to knock down the difficulty a notch or two though if you're not an HR fan (in the last few maps)

This brings me back to the days of thoroughly enjoying playing through a new Doom wad. The maps looks terrific, and the gameplay is amazing.

I wish all maps had new music (I'm unfamiliar with the music from the first two maps), because when the visuals, gameplay, and music, all blew me away, it really brought me back to the days of Memento Mori - and it was a really, really fun feeling I hadn't felt in years.

As for the reason I'm here - is map05 incompatible with GZDoom? I just die after teleporting to the hall with the red arrow on the floor.

gemini: Wait a second after you die and you'll exit the map, beginning the next level with a pistol start. The death-exits are intentional, to split the wad up into a set of episodes. The Scythe series uses a similar setup to separate its episodes.

esselfortium said:

gemini: Wait a second after you die and you'll exit the map, beginning the next level with a pistol start. The death-exits are intentional, to split the wad up into a set of episodes. The Scythe series uses a similar setup to separate its episodes.

Pretty much.

When you die in those areas you must resist pressing "Spacebar" and wait a few seconds and the level with finish.

Sorry about the confusion with the death exits, I really should have put a note in the text file or even in-game.

I love how these maps are playing. Died at MAP04(?) acouple times and quit lastnight (chaingunners up high somewhere) but I'll be delving back into this tonight for sure.

So far, MAP03: 13 Angry Archviles is my fav.

skillsaw said:

Sorry about the confusion with the death exits, I really should have put a note in the text file or even in-game.

Good thinking. Eternal Doom also used death exits, and they often just had floating text in the rooms that said you were supposed to die there.

the reason I didn't understand it was a "death exit" was because that they're usually by "floor kills" actions - I waited a brief moment after dying, but I waited just a tiny millisecond short of hearing the barrels and the Romero-head... :) d'oh!

gemini09 said:

As for the reason I'm here - is map05 incompatible with GZDoom? I just die after teleporting to the hall with the red arrow on the floor.

That effect is intentional. It's much like the old "suicide barrel romero head trick" seen in other, older levels. Basically it's something to kill you when you exit the level and force you to pistol start the next map.

I love the way this looks, plays and feels. Just a kick in the pants this one. highly recommended!

Played it all the way through and loved every second of it (even the intense slaughter maps!). Looks amazing to boot. So let me just add skillsaw to the "list of amazing mappers I steal get inspiration from" :P

Mechadon said:

Played it all the way through and loved every second of it (even the intense slaughter maps!). Looks amazing to boot. So let me just add skillsaw to the "list of amazing mappers I steal get inspiration from" :P

Well then, that makes the stealing inspiration mutual :P

Just dropping by to say that my 3 hour play through was FUCKING AWESOME! Seriously - great work :)

skillsaw said:

Well then, that makes the stealing inspiration mutual :P

hm, that gives me an idea for a community project, if someone wants to start one and is looking for inspiration: every mapper chooses one other mapper, preferably one taking part in the project too, and tries to emulate his style as closely as possible. general architecture, preferred monsters and weapons, use of textures and so on. call it inspiration.wad or something.

Map05 is where the difficulty really started ramping up. It took me three tries to clear a corner of the map to hide in when things started getting too intense. I haven't cleared the map yet, I had to save and quit because the power went out and my battery backup started screaming at me.

Hilariously, the power went the fuck out AGAIN while I was typing this. I'm sick of this weather.

WildWeasel said:

I have no idea how Map05 is even possible to complete.

I crushed it in my second attempt.

Only advice I can give, is keep running and shooting, and look for soul spheres. :)

I finished map05 last night, and made it to map10 without dying again. Map10 is outrageous. On my seventh attempt, I had to give up for the night.

Torr Samaho said:

hm, that gives me an idea for a community project, if someone wants to start one and is looking for inspiration: every mapper chooses one other mapper, preferably one taking part in the project too, and tries to emulate his style as closely as possible. general architecture, preferred monsters and weapons, use of textures and so on. call it inspiration.wad or something.

Sounds like a good idea actually. Maybe we'll see that come to fruition at some point.

@weasal: Mobility kept me going through it - stumbling across things like the BFG and Plasma Rifle definitely make the difference too (if MAP05 is the one I'm thinking of, that is).