Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

God Is American

This is a surreal documentary about a brief American military encounter on an island durring world war two and the influence it had on people who inhabit it.

The film is only an hour long.

That joint the man lit at the beginning reminded of my father stories of how he and his gang used to smoke pine needles rolled up in newspapers, when he was a teen in the woods. When in the city, they could afford the "luxury" of smoking some chair straw.

I was totally caught off guard when the guy started talking about 9/11. Looks like this came out in 2007.

Anyway, it looks like we were wasting our time killing Bin Laden. The true mastermind is still out there.

Which brings up another point: I might have not been watching carefully enough, but it seemed like they were both praising and bashing America. First, the guy tells everyone he sent Bin Laden to blow up WTC, then they say they are waiting for the United States to "save them".

DuckReconMajor said:

Which brings up another point: I might have not been watching carefully enough, but it seemed like they were both praising and bashing America. First, the guy tells everyone he sent Bin Laden to blow up WTC, then they say they are waiting for the United States to "save them".

I found these people to be very confusing. They see Americans as a sort of demigod. They consider themselves to be American. They show patronage by hanging the American flag, but then at the end they seem to see America needing cleansing, or something. It catches you off guard.

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.
That's my dream; that's my nightmare.
Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving."

edit: removed link