Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

were the doom64 missing monster sprite ever found?

like the title says has anyone ever found the doom64 missing monster sprites? like the archvile spidermastermind chaingunguy and revenant?

i think i read somewhere that someone asked the makers if they had them.

can anyone shed any light on this matter? Im sorry if this topic has been covered before.

id love to see the doom64 spidermastermind

personally i love doom64 the most of all the dooms except the fact that some of my favy monsters arnt in it(spidermastermind archvile rev)
im happy the arachnotron made it in though.

dont get me wrong the original dooms are always the best, but doom64 just made everything look more evil.

who knows though, since doom64 was made from computers perhaps some kind soul saved the concepts or something of the thrown out monsters.

I'm sure someone from the dev team has some cool shit saved on some zip drives or something. Keizer, local Doom 64 fetishist, had a text interview with a few members of the dev team. IIRC one of them stated the reasoning for dropping some of the monsters for cart space limitations.

Interview can be found here.

ya i saw that, however that raises even more questions then it answers.

like were the monsters and scripts for them already made and at the last minute they had to cut em out?
were the sprites made then cut?
was a model made later on in the project and then not turn to sprites cuz they were aware of space problems?
the sad question remains did they even make it past the concept drawings since they forsaw the space issues.

i hope they did exist at one point but werent perminantly deleted, maby saved for later use? possible expansion? pc only version?

who knows really.

Hey, they very well could have. The only information on the subject came from the level designer, not the artists.

I once had a screenshot that showed an unused lightning gun sprite. Sadly, that went with an older computer.

Technician said:

I don't think there is evidence of them even being made. Maybe, just maybe, they made some 3D models of them. Now that's something I'd kill to get my hands on. I'd love to see the models used to capture the sprites get released.
This is the closest we've got to seeing a rendered model.

I actually have an old EGM poster that shows the rendered models of all the existing DOOM 64 monsters. They're not very big pictures, though, and they're pretty much the same as the shots from the game manual.

Technician said:

Hey, they very well could have. The only information on the subject came from the level designer, not the artists.

I once had a screenshot that showed an unused lightning gun sprite. Sadly, that went with an older computer.

Awwwww.....

It'd be a neat project if someone created or rendered some models themselves of what they think the missing monsters would've looked liked D64ized and then make sprites outta them. Eh?

Clonehunter said:

It'd be a neat project if someone created or rendered some models themselves of what they think the missing monsters would've looked liked D64ized and then make sprites outta them. Eh?

Yea, I would love to see that too. If I had an once of modeling talent, I would probably give it a stab. But, well....I don't :P. I think the hardest thing to do would be to match the art style so they don't stick out against the other monsters. Also, as far as behavior is concerned, you'd have to figure out if the missing monsters should be "enhanced" or not (eg. Arachnotron fires double plasma...so maybe Revenant should fire two missiles?). Such a thing would certainly be a welcome addition to, say, Doom64EX ;)

im taking art classes and 3d art or w/e someday soon i hope if i get good enough to make those monsters that are missing from doom64

if noone can find them of course and ya matching the style will be hard

Mechadon said:

Also, as far as behavior is concerned, you'd have to figure out if the missing monsters should be "enhanced" or not (eg. Arachnotron fires double plasma...so maybe Revenant should fire two missiles?).

Certainly, I say. Even the Pain Elemental is doubled... :P

I wonder if the Revenants/Revenant missiles would move normally or at their much more leisurely PlayStation DOOM pace, since both PSX DOOM and DOOM 64 seemed to have been made by the same teams.

Mechadon said:

Yea, I would love to see that too. If I had an once of modeling talent, I would probably give it a stab. But, well....I don't :P. I think the hardest thing to do would be to match the art style so they don't stick out against the other monsters. Also, as far as behavior is concerned, you'd have to figure out if the missing monsters should be "enhanced" or not (eg. Arachnotron fires double plasma...so maybe Revenant should fire two missiles?). Such a thing would certainly be a welcome addition to, say, Doom64EX ;)

Personally I don't think they belong in the EX and I'm glad Kaiser has tried to make the EX as close as possible to the original game. When I found out about the TC, I was disappointed to find how much stuff they changed.

That's not to say though that expansions can't be made to be played on top of the EX with these monsters though :)

Well obviously they probably wouldn't be added to the existing maps. Rather they could be added (or left as an add-on or separate resource) for modding, which is also a big goal of Kaiser's port.