Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Mount Doom 1.1

I am proud to present Mount Doom, which runs off prboom+ and MAP29 of Doom2. Designed to get the player killed you will need to be very good to complete it (or just save and load a lot which is what I did).

Download version 1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/?45gz0alc4kw6161

Commenting in this thread is encouraged even if you hate the map

Yes I play with godmode on

Awesome adventure map. Reminds me of MAP18 from Epic 2. And the music choice is excellent too. Is it from some movie?
We need more maps in this style.

Here is my FDA - http://www.mediafire.com/?ccmc9kb76v7b12y
Failed because one part is too hard... There is annoying jumping sequence and then you must somehow survive in the very tight place with two cybers.

EDIT: ok, I tried the part with 2 cybers again. It is not hard if you know what to do. :) You can grab complete FDA here - http://www.mediafire.com/?cjfuo23e1ho3twp (I used rerecording because I didn't want to play all over from the beginning again)

xvertigox said:

Do you know if its even possible to finish? I'll give this a go and see.

I did finish it without cheats, I just used cheats to take those screenshots, however I played it through with saving and loading because I'm not good enough to attempt to complete it in one go

memfis said:

Awesome adventure map. Reminds me of MAP18 from Epic 2. And the music choice is excellent too. Is it from some movie?
We need more maps in this style.

Here is my FDA - http://www.mediafire.com/?ccmc9kb76v7b12y
Failed because one part is too hard... There is annoying jumping sequence and then you must somehow survive in the very tight place with two cybers.

I can make the jumping bit easier to get across by adding more platforms or making the existing platforms larger if its too hard. I'll watch your FDA when I have more time tonight probably, glad that you enjoyed it :D. The music is from Super Mario Galaxy - Melty Molten Galaxy btw.

It is not hard if you can stay calm while two cybers are shooting at you. :D So yeah, it would be nice to make the platforms larger.

btw, there is 23 lost souls on the map, so you should note that Boom compatibility is required. (you can't have more that 21 lost souls in vanilla)

You know what, although I couldn't beat it, I loved it! intense gameplay and it looks fantastic and really easy on the eyes.

If there were a map that summed up actually entering into the Real of Hell within the Doom story this would be it

Foodles said:

runs off prboom+

Current release versions of prboom+ (or any other port that uses SDL_Mixer) won't be able to properly play back the audio in this map unless the mixing samplerate divides evenly into 48000 (12000, 24000, 48000 basically). By default prboom+ ships with config samplerate of 22050, so I'd recommend you resample the audio from 48khz to 44.1khz.

Also, your REJECT lump is length 0 - I don't keep up with this stuff, but as far as I know that's only "sanctioned" in zdoom and derivatives. It's only an extra 15KB anyway.

Looks fun, reminds me of an armoredblood map. I'll probably wait to uvmax until it seems like the final version. If you want you can make the player fall a bit down the exit hole before exiting by making it really deep and walk over lines inside that lower a dummy player1 on a scroll floor who takes a bit of time to walk over an exit line.

This map gave me an idea do do a simlar long mostly linear path where you get no weapons until the very end of the path, so you have to run past everyone, dodging until you get the weapons, then come back down fighting for uvmax or something.

Your map is fun to play, makes good use of it's architecture and has a great atmosphere but some parts near the end don't feel like they are well thought out. The cyberdemon area should be easier to move around in imo and the flying monsters that you placed near the big group of mancubi are annoying to fight in the narrow passages. Everything else is good though.

My thoughts are much the same as Birdbrain's. I found that the only real difficult areas for me were at the very beginning and where the 2 cybers were. In the area with the 2 cybers, I had to go into god mode and IDFA. This area needs energy cells rather than rockets. Once the 2 cybers were dispatched I managed to finish the level. Regarding the LS's, I say remove them altogether, the PE's will take care of them or just leave them only for UV. I also noticed that some sectors with RROCK02 do damage while others don't. I also noticed that there is no difference in skill levels - same monster count and items. As is should stay for UV with it easier on HMP and more so on HNTR.

Hitscanner on hills and infinitelytall flying monster spam ruined this map for me. I believe it'd be 200% better as a ZDoom map. In fact, I'm going to play it in ZDoom, probably going to be much more enjoyable that way especially as there's mention of a platforming part (didn't get to that).

Edit: ok, now that I played it at slow motion and got through it, I can actually enjoy it at normal speed. It's one of these maps that are a chore to play normally but become fun with speedrunning.

version 1.1 is up
http://www.mediafire.com/?45gz0alc4kw6161
I've made the platforms by the cyberdemon area wider and easier to get across, fixed the damaging floor rock sectors and changed the ending as per gggmork's advice. I'm keeping in the lost souls as they can be very annoying when they block your retreat or get you to blow yourself up.
I know the music doesn't sound perfect compared to ZDOOM but it works and so I'm not that fussed about it.

Memfis said:

btw, there is 23 lost souls on the map, so you should note that Boom compatibility is required. (you can't have more that 21 lost souls in vanilla)

You can have more than 21 lost souls in vanilla, the only problem is that pain elementals will not spawn any more and so they'll become rather useless.

Quite a hard map although fun to play,

Died when a lost soul decided to intercept one of my rockets at too close a range, so completed it by loading.

Personally didn't care for the music, but then I didn't like Melty Monster galaxy either...

great map the only thing that bothered me was the music which seemed to cause some lag, the map was really hard and great I managed to kill 171 monsters without dying.