Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Did you like Doom RPG?

When I saw DoomRPG's trailer, I was excited. I wanted to try it. Later I found it and I though it was fantastic! The game wasn't perfect, but the feeling, the design and the mixing of the classic Doom and Doom 3 elements were amazing!

Did you like this game?

Now I do not remember my version of the Doom RPG to be at that high-resolution. All the ceilings were and flats were just solid colors, although that have to be because of how old the phone was.

I really like this game. How much? Enough to complete the game several times, maxing my character's level and going on to max all stats. It's a real fun and addicting game to waste time on.

My phone could never run Doom RPG, but when I got my Iphone the Doom 2 RPG was one of my first downloads, and it was pretty fuckin' fun. Goofing around with shit like the Holy Water Pistol and new bizarre monsters like the Pinkinator, Sawcubus and those wispy "Guardian" things was nice. I wouldn't mind seeing those show up in a Doom WAD. Also didn't get that VIOS meant "Virtual Icon of Sin" for awhile, then when I saw people abbreviating IOS it suddenly clicked.

I was always interested in Doom RPG and Doom II RPG, but my phone won't play either and I can't afford a new phone.

Wish they would have made some sort of pc port of it so more people could play it.

It would be cool if it was possible to somehow port it to zdoom, but I doubt it would be able to make it turn based as I assume the Doom RPG is.

I payed 10 bucks through my carrier to download Doom RPG, but it wouldn't actually download, and they wouldn't refund my money either. A couple of years later, I managed to get the .jar onto another phone, but the piece of shit wouldn't actually run it.

I heard rumors that you could play it on a computer with a J2ME emulator or something, but I never really looked into it. I did enjoy the iOS version of Doom 2 RPG, though; on an iPod Touch that I found in a dumpster, no less.

Doomhuntress said:

Now I do not remember my version of the Doom RPG to be at that high-resolution. All the ceilings were and flats were just solid colors, although that have to be because of how old the phone was.

That's the Java ME version you're describing. There was one for Symbian (Nokia phones only) that was completely different in terms of visuals.

Mithran Denizen said:

on an iPod Touch that I found in a dumpster, no less.

Yo, dat's getto.

I don't have a cellphone that can run the games either, so I guiltily managed to get DOOM RPG running in a cellphone SDK on my computer. I really hate to rip off Id Software...but I also hate the idea of buying some expensive phone just to play a couple of games.

I honestly really enjoyed playing it, and despite its RPG nature, I felt it was actually quite faithful to the original DOOM, playing more like it than even DOOM³ did. I would've eagerly replayed it...but updating my Java seems to have broken the SDK I was using. :(

Always been interested in it, but never had a capable phone. My friend had itthough for a while. Said it was pretty good, and he doesn't really care much for Doom. So, heh.

Mithran Denizen said:

I heard rumors that you could play it on a computer with a J2ME emulator or something, but I never really looked into it. I did enjoy the iOS version of Doom 2 RPG, though; on an iPod Touch that I found in a dumpster, no less.

No rumors. Well, from what I'm aware of, you can emulate J2ME, RIM, Windows Mobile on PC. Each have their own set of emulators. Even the Android phone can be emualted freely. Now, getting the games is a different story. It's not that they're hard to get; the worst part is hoping they're not incompatible with the emulator(s).

I'm not afraid to say that, like some others here, I have found the .jar of Doom RPG. It is playable, but quite slow (it is J2ME after all).

You'd be surprised how many different versions of Doom RPG are actually out there. They differ based on the handset they're designed for. Rarely, the differences are subtle. Like some versions lack a difficulty setting option.

I very much enjoyed DOOM RPG. For much of my 20's my employment involved camping out on industrial timber land with no electronic entertainment except my crappy cell phone, kept charged by my truck's cig lighter. I played the shit out of DOOM RPG. Got maxed out on levels, stats, and all items (the dog collars are what takes the most time if I recall correctly), and tried to max out the credits ($$), but once it reached some order-of-magnitude and I saw it didn't stop there I gave up on that. Played DOOM RPG and Q*Bert. I kick mother freaking ass at Q*Bert, and can play one game indefinitely now, always gaining more lives then I lose. I miss that life.

NT

Yeah, I loved it. It used to be my favorite mobile game back then, and probably my favorite java game ever. I maxed it all on Doom RPG. I haven't played Doom RPG II though.

I wish I had a phone/phone service that would provide me these games again. I played and beat Doom RPG back when I was with Sprint, and loved the level where you actually have to learn SQL to unlock a door.

"?OPEN THE DOOR YOU STUPID COMPUTER"
"Please phrase your insults in the form of a valid SQL query."

It's awesome, it's just one of the best mobile games i've ever played, now i'm playing Wolfenstein RPG and after that i'm going to play Doom 2 RPG.

I actually own the DS version of Orcs & Elves, and it's very reminiscent of DOOM RPG and pretty fun, but...well, it's not DOOM. And the fantasy theme is as generic as the title would imply.

By the way, I'm still utterly FURIOUS that Id never ported any of their other RPG titles to the DS. How stupid can you be?

They could improve the games a bit too, while they're at it. Like maybe adding a random level generator, in addition to the main "hardcoded" quest. That way, when you finish the main game, you can still have fun playing in roguelike mode.

It's interesting that Orcs & Elves II didn't get ported to NDS.

I enjoyed it very much. It was very well done. It was obviously a very different experience to classic Doom, but it definitely had a character of its own and good gameplay.

Guess I'm going to revive a dead horse!

DOOM RPG and RPG 2 are great, though I never finished either due to finite time with devices that would actually play them.

Orcs and Elves rules, as does the Wolfenstein RPG, though I never got to try Orcs and Elves 2 since it never made it to the DS.

Simplistic, turn based, RPG, fun! Everything that was great about these type of games in the 80's, except with polish, good writing, and a few other tricks!

These should all be on Nintendo's eShop for 3DS and Wii U pad.

It would be great to see the classic Doom games + both Doom RPG's get ported in one package to the Playstation Vita or Nintendo 3DS. Now THAT would be the ultimate entertainment on the go. None of that butchered Gameboy garbage or silly touchscreen controls. I'd buy a handhold system just for Doom.

Breeder said:

These should all be on Nintendo's eShop for 3DS and Wii U pad.

yes, lets put these games that likely only fans of id Software would have any idea they even existed, and then put them on the consoles that said fans are the least likeliest to have. :p

Is there some way to play Doom RPG on the PC? I've never played it before, but I remember my friends loving the shit out of it like 10 years ago. I'd love to give it a whirl.

I've played it using KEmulator and the Nokia Symbian emulator (though unfortunately I couldn't find the Symbian version to use with the emulator). For Android, you should be able to get it to work with Netmite's J2ME Runner. I haven't yet, but I managed to get the Wolfenstein RPG working with it.

All that's left is finding a way of playing the sequel.

Doomkid said:

Is there some way to play Doom RPG on the PC? I've never played it before, but I remember my friends loving the shit out of it like 10 years ago. I'd love to give it a whirl.

i recall EA or whoever they were having the game up for download, which you could get to your PC and play with an emulator, which i did. but then my copy mysteriously stopped working. i dunno if that's because they only gave you a demo or they just decided to pull off support for the game.

Yeah, I remember playing Doom RPG on my old phone back in 2009, along with some God of War sidescroller. Good stuff.

I loved it, played it through probably at least 10 times. I actually feel like re-downloading it now.

I played first doom rpg years ago and it was a blast. Just few weeks ago bought doom rpg 2 for ios and love it, its even better, but I hate those archviles. persistent bastards keep evading me when I approach them, only way to hit them is via sniper scope. Shame that I missed wolfenstein rpg, its no longer for sale. DOOM RL was also fun, haven't really played it that much. Now playing doom on atari jaguar.