Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
orbit_of_phobos

What do you think about Doom the movie?

Clonehunter said:

I beat you all with 4 1/2 times watched. I got the Unrated Edition. With the cardboard box slip.

That's not something to be proud of.

I thought it was OK. It was destine for failure honestly. I'll always watch it, but that's because its DOOM.

geo said:

I thought it was OK. It was destine for failure honestly. I'll always watch it, but that's because its DOOM.

It's not DOOM at all, actually.

Yeah you're right, it has the Doom name.

Wasn't the idea behind it humans turned into zombies turn into imps turn into barons?

Kinda bland, but still also kinda cool. And the logo was neat. I liked the way it was introuduced as well, like a giant big ass machine.

I actually liked the Doom movie. Enough so to see it 3 times in the theater. Also own the dvd.

Even though I like the movie, I would not call it a good movie. I would definitely not call it a "Doom" movie either. It had next to nothing to do with Doom other than a few references. The lack of Hell and actual demons was definitely disappointing. For a second, I thought the Rock's character might turn into the cyber demon. That would have been cool.

I think the scene where he uses the severed hand to unlock a door was actually in the doom bible.

If you don't take it very seriously and definitely don't expect it to be faithful to the source material, then it's just what it is. Not a good movie, not a faithful movie, but just a kinda fun movie. An entertaining and mindless way to kill 90 minutes or so. The same reason most people watch bad b-movies I guess.

On a similar side note, Event Horizon and Ghosts of Mars always reminded me of Doom.

Event Horizon was great. In fact, someone brought it up in another thread recently and made me go watch it again. It feels alot more Doomy than Doom did, even without much action. The atmosphere is just awesome.

The Doom movie was an ok movie if you just forget it has the title Doom. As a standalone sci-fi movie, its not THAT bad. Like someone already said, if you think it was terrible you haven't seen enough movies lol. There's other stuff out there that would make you feel like this should win an oscar.

Face23785 said:

As a standalone sci-fi movie, its not THAT bad.

But it's really hard to judge a film on its own merits when the title "DOOM" is being shoved down your throat. Same goes for any adaption of anything- I SHOULD judge them as a "X Movie" instead of a standalone film: that's why it was made, to be at least as interesting as the original work was.

I saw it in 5th grade after downloading the shareware version of doom.

Me and my friend were always arguing which monster in that movie wound up being the "beast" (the name given by me to the Demons at the time)
seeing that movie was first of many mistakes (at the time, however, I liked it)

It was followed by my buying of DOOM64 (in belief it was just doom but on N64 for full experience) and getting the GBA version with the same hopes (which, unlike the DOOM64, it was actually pretty bad as well disapointing)

and here I am now.

Mr. Freeze said:

But it's really hard to judge a film on its own merits when the title "DOOM" is being shoved down your throat. Same goes for any adaption of anything- I SHOULD judge them as a "X Movie" instead of a standalone film: that's why it was made, to be at least as interesting as the original work was.

I have to say its bad regardless of anything. The imp's looked silly, especially that one who cat clawed at the camera.

And the scene with the hell knight with a giant chainsaw?

The first half, I guess was ok, but still it wasn't a very good movie. And it being called "DOOM" really does make it that much worse.

Megamur said:

That's not something to be proud of.

It is for me. Plus I like Karl Urban as an actor. Riddick and RED for a few films I liked with him.

Clonehunter said:

It is for me. Plus I like Karl Urban as an actor. Riddick and RED for a few films I liked with him.

I loved the Riddick films, even that one animated one. His acting in them were great.
I never tried any of the games, are they any good?

EDIT: thanks and sorry to the mod who fixed my double post.

Well, it's hard to say. I have to admit, I did enjoy the film while watching it, it's just a dumb action/horror movie. It was annoying that it only had a few similarity's to Doom (BFG, Hell Knight). I was also kind of pissed that the demons were "Mutants" and not actually from Hell. under any other name I would have liked it more.

Mr. Freeze said:

But it's really hard to judge a film on its own merits when the title "DOOM" is being shoved down your throat.

They called the Max Payne movie Max Payne, and it would of been lousy even if it wasn't called Max Payne (it would of been called a rip off and a piece of shit to boot).

And don't even start with Hitman.

The Silent Hill movie was a faithful adaption of the games, but for those that never played SH1 it would of ultimately spoiled the plot. I also blame the movie for shifting the direction of the westernization of the series. Resident Evil's franchise also suffered a similar fated due to the movies taking on a more action-oriented nature, even though the first movie was actually decent (at least the last time I saw it back when it came out).

I've not seen or played Max Payne or Hitman.

Silent Hill I've not played, but I love the movie just for its atmosphere and visuals.

Resident Evil I feel is a total clusterfuck. Didn't like the first movie, I thought it was a big ad for the second movie. The second movie recapped the first and setup the third, so it felt like it was a 60 minute movie with fluff added to the start and end. The third movie I felt was a great change of pace from your standard zombie movie.... with Mad Max involved.

The fourth movie wow where to start. They kill the villain at the beginning so really that made me not want to keep watching. I felt burnt out from the first 15-20 minutes just like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Then it felt like one bat shit crazy moment after the next. Like we're gonna land a plane ontop of a building. Oh and having the guy from Prison Break as a prisoner... brilliant.

I posted a full review on Amazon. Everyone felt I was totally wrong and defended the movie and how awesome it is.

Well I do recommend the SH games, just stick with the four from Japan, yes even The Room, by Team Silent. I'm proud enough to say I own all the SH games without having to of played SH Movie: The Game (Homecoming), Unnecessary Prequel (Origins) and Unnecessary Remake (Shattered Memories) etc. Downpour won't even have Akira Yamaoka doing the music, not that I blame him as I'd be pretty done with a series I wouldn't feel so passionate about anymore. The man went all out on SH4.

Oh yeah and the Resident Evil digital movie I thought was badly acted, but contained great ideas. Badly acted as in I swore everyone was a manniquin. Maybe I need to watch it again.

I hear Silent Hill 2 the movie is stuck in development hell.

Awesome, 3D I hope its not as bad as Thor's 3D where the special effects were 3D but that's it. Characters popped off backgrounds, but everything was flat.

Maybe Silent Hill and Doom will go through as many failed attempts as the Mortal Kombat movie series which has had 2 or 3 failed attempt at movies.