Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

So apparently I'm banned from Skulltag's forums...

I went to have a look at the thread for Essel's detail guide (to refresh my memory) and I got this:

I don't even remember registering on Skulltag's forums, the hell is going on?

Yeah, they're perhaps a bit overzealous with the large ranges of their IP bans, or something. I get the same thing, though I've never really played Skulltag or have any interest in their forums.

I think GreyGhost(?) made note of the same thing a few times lately.

It's an IP range ban.

I'm not sure what to make of the reason message, though. Have they been hacked by some "clever" pranker who banned the entire Internet? That's why "ownt" seems to imply to me; it's the kind of witticism a script kiddy would put after feeling like he had pwned the forum.

Forums were hacked a few days ago. Everyone is banned. Be patient.

Mithran Denizen said:

Yeah, they're perhaps a bit overzealous with the large ranges of their IP bans, or something. I get the same thing, though I've never really played Skulltag or have any interest in their forums.

I think GreyGhost(?) made note of the same thing a few times lately.

Meh - ask me about Skulltag forum bans.

<tale of woe>
I'm caught up in someone else's range ban due to my ISP's Dynamic IP address pool being blocked. If my address changed less frequently (sometimes several times a day - I blame the 50+ year old copper wire network in this neighborhood) I'd ask to be whitelisted, assuming it's still possible to contact a Skulltag forum admin on another forum.
</tale of woe>

@Marnetmar - this is different, the ban message I usually see would have named the banned member in your IP range.

Gez said:

It's an IP range ban.

I'm not sure what to make of the reason message, though. Have they been hacked by some "clever" pranker who banned the entire Internet? That's why "ownt" seems to imply to me; it's the kind of witticism a script kiddy would put after feeling like he had pwned the forum.

Yep - seems like everybody is banned. Oh well, no big loss, I didn't really tend to use the forum that much anyway.

Why do kids take Doom multiplaying so seriously so as to go lengths to cheat at it?

printz said:

Why do kids take Doom multiplaying so seriously so as to go lengths to cheat at it?

I guess it's because "they can".

I wonder why I run into /b/tards playing MP. I figured this community would comprise of mostly older, dedicated players.

printz said:

They cheat much less than single player players, if you think about it, but it just matters more. You could also say cheating is mostly a way to not take the game seriously. Most online cheating seems to be a form of trolling on public servers to annoy people, rather than an attempt to win tourneys or the like. This is mainly because cheating is not a reliable way to build a reputation.

So yeah, get off your single player high horse. Multiplayer people get demonized mainly because they can be seen and because there is human interaction, not because they are intrinsically worse.

I won't claim to understand printz (who ever does?), but I suppose his point was related to the amount of effort some people will put into cheating, not in the act of cheating itself as a "yes/no" proposition. Hammering IDDQD is fairly easier than hacking forums.

Pretty sure this is nothing to do with Doomworld. If you have a problem, ask the Skulltag admins.

Phml said:
I won't claim to understand printz (who ever does?), but I suppose his point was related to the amount of effort some people will put into cheating, not in the act of cheating itself as a "yes/no" proposition. Hammering IDDQD is fairly easier than hacking forums.

Perhaps his post could be read that way, but people have put effort into speed running cheating too, but it's less prominent because the community is smaller, and while it's more interactive than absolute single player, it's less interactive than online play.

While I've noticed people dedicated more exclusively to single player often draw simplistic or generalized conclusions about the multiplayer sector, combined with a lack of significant exposure to multiplayer activity, hacking the forums isn't cheating in the game, nor necessarily something stemming from cheating activity. The "effort" that some people go through is mainly the acquisition of hacking ability, a subset of programming and tech skills, which may then be used to create game cheats or forum hacks (although forum hacks are often mere password stealing or staff betrayals rather than some elaborate system breach.)

The forums are back up and I'm still permanently banned - hate to think that they'd have done to me if I was a member.

Curse you Lizzarroro, may you always be fragbait!

Years ago I found myself caught in some IP-range ban here at Doomworld. I asked an admin to fix it and he did. Would the staff at Skulltag.com be less reasonable?

They probably white-listed your address within that ban range, which only has to be done once if you're assigned a static IP but can become an administrative headache with dynamic IPs if the address to white-list changes frequently - as mine does. I don't know if the Skulltag admins are any easier to reach than they were a year ago - when I scored zero from three using email and one from one by squealing like a stuck pig in these forums.

GreyGhost said:

They probably white-listed your address within that ban range

Actually not possible with this forum software.

What do you do, break the ban range into smaller blocks so individual addresses can pass through? That'd get tedious after a while.

Kinda related question. I've been trying to register for the forums and keep getting this error.

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Field 'user_validips' doesn't have a default value [1364]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Mithran Denizen said:

Maybe you should ask the board administrator about it.

He'll probably get back a message that reads "No idiots, plz".

DuckReconMajor said:

Kinda related question. I've been trying to register for the forums and keep getting this error.

st forums are getting hacked like, thrice per week lately and there was a lot of downtime. they seem to be online now, so perhaps you should try again.