Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Levels and stuff

How many levels do you think ID is aiming for in DooM 3? I belive around 30. At most 50. I don't really think they will be in episodes however, though that would be cool. When DooM 3 comes out, do you think there will be an add-on pack or something? I think it is possible, but maybe ID will wait a while on that one. These are my guesses, discuss what you think.

Though I would love to have the good ol' episodes back, I doubt that Id would make it like that. I hope that they don't call the parts 'tiers' (horrible memories of Q3A comes back to haunt me).
Levels: Hmm, I don't think they'll put many more than 25 levels in them, seeing as levels are so much more time consuming and difficult to design nowadays.

There had better be an add-on pack, just like there had better be an add-on pack for RtCW - as long as it has a decent continuation of the story in the new Doom game and is as least as fun as the full game.

level-it may take more time to design level ,coz of the complexity look of it.if the size of the map is same to DOOM2,i hope for 30+ (and secret level),some exclusive designed for CO-OP would be nice..

episode should be nice.a cutscene movie for each episodee maybe good for that.

add on pack-see dsm's post.

First-person shooters have almost become standardized in the number of levels they include. In general you can expect between 20 and 30 levels, with each map being large enough to be varied, and small enough not to get boring or confusing to the player. Of course, id may also go for a different approach - a bunch of really small levels that make up a 'continuous' experience (like Half-Life and, to a lesser extent, Deus Ex) ; or a dozen or so really big, sprawling maps (say, Serious Sam-sized).

As for add-ons, it's hard to say right now but there's a few interesting options. One possibility for id is to release a multiplayer add-on that gives added MP functionality (co-op anyone ?), maps specifically designed for deathmatches, and extra player models. Another option would be to create a straightforward single player mission pack like they did with Quake 1 & 2. We'll see.

One possibility for id is to release a multiplayer add-on that gives added MP functionality (co-op anyone ?), maps specifically designed for deathmatches, and extra player models. Another option would be to create a straightforward single player mission pack like they did with Quake 1 & 2.

Well, I actually had at least *one* MP pack in my thoughts - I wouldn't be particularly interested in a MP pack, but it would be nice for the MP-nuts out there.

If you ask me, it would be good if they released one SP pack continuing the Doom story and one MP pack.

I think there should be 3-4 episodes with 4-5 LARGE levels apeice. The levels should also 'flow', like in Half Life or Daikatana. No cutscenes or exit screens between them.

or a dozen or so really big, sprawling maps (say, Serious Sam-sized).

Dark Forces had 14 maps I believe, but they played out so much longer than most games with twice that amount.

3-5 episodes with ~5 medium, ~1-2 large and ~1-2 small levels each would be nice.

Dammit, Doom3 better be packed with levels. Levels upon levels, secret levels within levels. It should be huge, make no doubt of that.

Dammit, Doom3 better be packed with levels. Levels upon levels, secret levels within levels. It should be huge, make no doubt of that.

It doesn't have to have a lot of levels to be huge. I want 3-4 episodes with 4-5 Half-Life/Turok sized levels each. That's pretty damn huge.

some certain level in DOOM should be included too.it must not be the exact remade of original but it supposed to be same place that the doom marine had fight before.Hangar (e1m1) ,tower of babel (e2m8),slough of despair (e3m2) might be good for remade.

I would love to see some of the classic maps realized through the power of modern technology. Maybe Id won't do it, but that doesn't mean the fans can't.

AvP and thief both have some good sized levels.

Thief have some humongous levels flow-wise. They're not that big if you run from one point to the other, but I need like 4, 5 in-game. hours to beat each one. Something similar happens with Deus Ex, no matter how many times I've finished that game it takes me 24 to 27 hours in-game to beat it again.

It's all about content on the levels. If they're just rooms that serve as monster holders then the game won't be too long for us experienced gamers.

I personally think about 30 levels is good enough, that would be a pretty decent sized game, though of course it all depends of the difficult levels... Lets just hope they bring back NIGHTMARE Skill!

I also agree with Dark-Tenshi... There should be at least 1 or 2 levels from the classic doom games included, If not in single player... maybe as a multiplayer level or something :)

I'd prefer thrity or forty smallish, fast-loading maps linked together in a Half-Life-style flow. Or big hubs made up of small maps.

the mix of small level (hallway and rooms) and large level (city level in doom2-map 15,16 )should be fine.all the same-size level would be dull.

Originally posted by Spasmolytic
I personally think about 30 levels is good enough, that would be a pretty decent sized game, though of course it all depends of the difficult levels... Lets just hope they bring back NIGHTMARE Skill!

As long as dead enemies in the nightmare setting REMAIN dead!
There is only *one* reason why I never completed Doom on nightmare: It wasn't fun.
The respawning monsters is gay imho and makes the player rush through the levels without actually enjoying them to their fullest.

Nightmare in the new Doom game should have more player damage than any other skill setting and should have faster monsters (both projectile wise and movement speed wise) - and above all else: Very little ammo, forcing the player to resort to the melee weapons more often.
Maybe the player's weapons should be less damaging in nightmare.

Originally posted by dsm

As long as dead enemies in the nightmare setting REMAIN dead!
There is only *one* reason why I never completed Doom on nightmare: It wasn't fun.
The respawning monsters is gay imho and makes the player rush through the levels without actually enjoying them to their fullest.

Nightmare in the new Doom game should have more player damage than any other skill setting and should have faster monsters (both projectile wise and movement speed wise) - and above all else: Very little ammo, forcing the player to resort to the melee weapons more often.
Maybe the player's weapons should be less damaging in nightmare.

Nah, personally, I'd prefer the oldschool Nightmare: Speedy monsters, much more damages, and respawning from hell. Limited ammo doesn't sound very good imo.

Wouldn't that be cool if it was just one huge hub type level, like in Metal Gear Solid, kinda? That would be neat, except make it HUGE

Originally posted by bigbadgangsta
Wouldn't that be cool if it was just one huge hub type level, like in Metal Gear Solid, kinda? That would be neat, except make it HUGE

Sure... As long as they don't drag the player from the tenth map back to the fourth and then force him to walk and fight his way back after an excrutiating mini-game. :P

Originally posted by IMJack
Sure... As long as they don't drag the player from the tenth map back to the fourth and then force him to walk and fight his way back after an excrutiating mini-game. :P

in every 4 or 5 maps,there should be some certain aria like train staion or airport.after the player cleard that map,he /she should be able to take the train ,aircraft (or teleportation system) to travel back to former cleared map.

Originally posted by 999cop
Nah, personally, I'd prefer the oldschool Nightmare: Speedy monsters, much more damages, and respawning from hell. Limited ammo doesn't sound very good imo.

Fair enough. We all have our own opinions, but I'd still like to ask: Why do you think little ammo would be a bad idea?

About respawning: I think it should be a cheat code you enable to get respawning monsters, 'cause I prefer a nightmare difficulty where the enemies are harder to kill in general instead of an insanely frustrating difficulty where you can't even get 100% in kills - I hate speedrunning through maps.

Thw whole game should be one huge level with nothing separating anything

Originally posted by dsm

Fair enough. We all have our own opinions, but I'd still like to ask: Why do you think little ammo would be a bad idea?

Have you ever played system shock 2? If you have not.. then let me explain.

-Every SINGLE enemy, even the most weak ones are a big threat because it it so hard not to kill them with bullets. And bullets are so rare, that almost every single one of them is used to kill the bigger enemies.
-With low ammo, low fps systems are in serious trouble. (In AvP2, it took a lot of ammunition just to kill a little drone. Drone can only take few bullets before dying, so most bullets was spent on walls :)

Well it's a matter of balance. I'm not wanting the game to have extremely little ammo in it - just so that you are forced to conserve a little more ammo.
I hate when I run around emptying tons of ammo into the enemies without regard for my ammo count and then it turns out that even when I've killed off anything there is more than enough ammo to keep me supplied twice (ok I'm exaggerating a little).

I just want a difficulty level for those of us who know how to conserve ammo, but I don't want the levels to be undersupplied like System Shock's.

Dark Forces had 14 maps I believe, but they played out so much longer than most games with twice that amount.

Ah yeah, the Dark Forces maps were f*cking awesome! The size of the last map really felt like the size of the stardestroyer it was located in...

Holy shit, I'd forgotten that last level in Dark Forces! Schweetness! In Doom3 I wanna jet-pack between moon-bases & dive into lunar valleys to look for hidden levels. I wanna shuttle between space-stations in navy ships, fighting off demons that got on board. Not that it'll happen until Iikka makes AirDoom... ;P

dsm said:

About respawning: I think it should be a cheat code you enable to get respawning monsters, 'cause I prefer a nightmare difficulty where the enemies are harder to kill in general instead of an insanely frustrating difficulty where you can't even get 100% in kills - I hate speedrunning through maps.

Heh. Funny that now I finally reply this, anyways, my bad.
I have made a typo in my sentence. What I meant was 'limited ammos sounds logical to me"
About monsters respawning, well, i don't quite have a clue about how the new doom is coming up in the future. From the screenshots I saw from the demonstration, the levels don't look a lot like hellish to me. Possibly settings in modern technological world(?) So it's really dependable in my opinion, whether the monsters should be respawned or not. My thought is it was very logical for id team to include respawning monsters option in nightmare due to the hell is where the demons' origin. Doom3 will be probably different from what old doom used to be.