Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark-tenshi

DOOM3 mapping-what to prepare

for no experience people,what should i prepare for mapping DOOM3?should i start with Q3(Rtcw) or Q2? also C and C++ is need(or it just for modding?),there are many mapmaking resouce out there,but what is the good place to start with?

That's a good question. I don't think anyone knows for sure, except the people at id, and you've probably heard how easy it is to pry info out of them :(

Just as a guess, the new engine will be more geared to modification by "the masses" than before. For example, the level editor as you might know is being distributed in the same executable as the game. This implies that knowing a programming language such as C or C++ probably won't be manditory for making a basic level. I think there will even be a scripting language, which you can play around with to do some level specific things if you want.

The real difficult part will be in simply producing the geometry and textures for the level, I think. Practice modelling using a real 3d modeller (as opposed to a CSG type game level editor), and learn how to put lots of detail in... Specifically, learn to construct level from detailed pre-fabricated components, which can be assembled into more complex structures. Doom3 levels won't have the highlevel, sparce geometry of previous Quake games, so you have to practice modelling very detailed worlds in a reasonable amount of time...

Also, Carmack keeps alluding the "cinematic" type lighting, where you have to get the most drama from a few lights. You might want to read up on and practice making the environments you want, using just a few lights, preferable which don't overlap too much.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I think that, as usual, making a level will be easy... But making a good level (i.e. one that plays well and looks good) will be damn tough.

If you've got no experience at all with level design for Quake-engine games or modelling in 3DSMAX or Maya, you're definetly facing a tough learning process. Those of you who have only made maps for Doom and Duke Nukem 3D should pick up QeRadiant and familiarize themselves with editing in a full 3D environment... That's all the advice I can think of.

Engines get more complex with each generation, and so do the tools. The good thing about this is that we get fewer, but higher quality mods/maps. The bad thing is, there's probably a bunch of people around here who really want to get into Doom 3 editing but are facing a huge gap in know-how and experience because they stuck with Doom and didn't bother to ever pick up a Quake editor.

As EsH said, knowing how to use the tools isn't enough. You need to come up with something worthwile for all your effort... and that's the real challenge.

As always, "We'll see".

Devicing nice looking level's about being creative and having experience with 3d tools. That's something you always learn the hard way : practice, practice, practice.

However, there's another important aspect : making a level technologically functional. Familiarize yourself with QeRadiant/GTKRadiant and the Quake engines. A level's not just a blob of brushes, but you have to think about culling textures, aeroportals, detail brushes, value flags, the spatial grid, overdraw, shader limitations among other things.

Remember if this is a portal engine, then youll be able to edit the level in real time, and teh editor will have to be MUCH DIFFERENT than anything youll have worked with before. Im pretty sure the answer is NO, theres nothing to prepare you for this.

Where as some engines (quake) have you build every solid block, and some other engines (unreal) have you carve out the level, this one will be constructing roomes, and using "portals" to connect them. I can guess that portals will also be used for mirrors, skies and water.

EXCELLENT POST

You guys must definitely need to take a look at this (warning: 56users, fantastic screenshots within, might take about 3-4 mins to load them up)

You guys must definitely need to take a look at this (warning: 56users, fantastic screenshots within, might take about 3-4 mins to load them up)

WHOA!!! holy sheeeiiiit

ARGH!!23jklfgkldsfsdkl...............