Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

So I read somewhere you could check if you damaged monsters, I don't remember where so I would appreciate if someone could check this demo for me, and let me know how to check it myself for future attempts at pacifist.

Plutonia map 25 UV-Pacifist in 01:12.97 (someone confirm if it's actually pacifist)

Previous time was 1:50 by stx-Vile, obviously this can go even further if you skip mega and get the revenants to attack the zombiemen quicker.

pp25-112.zip

I'll repeat the general idea, as well as I'll say why I did some additional checking in your demo.

1. Get the player 1's thing ID. One way is to open the map in Doom Builder II, look for "Thing Type", insert "1" (which is number of player 1 start thing type, "16" is cyberdemon thing type, every health item, ammo item, monster, player or obstacle has its thing type). After pressing "find" DB will show you "Thing 2 (Player 1 start)". So the ID is 2 in this case.

2. Prboom+ has a parameter -trace_givendamage (version 2.5.0.6 or newer). After the parameter you place tour player 1 ID. You play the demo like

prboom-plus -iwad plutonia -playdemo pp25-112 -trace_givendamage 2
3. In Pacifist demos the damage displayed should stay at 0. But here we have a case in which you do damage: to yourself. So after the jump you see 63/63.

This confused me a bit as your health was lower than that. I understand that it's calculated that you would always die if your HP was higher or equal 63*2=126 (multiplied by two because of blue armor/megasphere). You had 50% health 64% armor. So your health was reduced to -13 (50-63) and your armor to 2 (should be 1, 64-63, I don't understand that fully). Never mind, I just checked the health of any monsters nearby (thing ID 197, 200 - troopers and 209 208 203 - chaingunners behind the wall). Their health stayed the same, so here you have your valid pacifist.
prboom-plus -iwad plutonia -playdemo pp25-112 -trace_thingshealth 197 200
prboom-plus -iwad plutonia -playdemo pp25-112 -trace_thingshealth 209 208 203
This is probably much less complicated than I tried to explain.

ok, thanks a lot vdgg.

Looks like it's possible to drag all the zombiemen to 1 side, requires a lot of luck, but I'll see if I can get a better exit for this pacifist run soon.

vdgg said:

So your health was reduced to -13 (50-63) and your armor to 2 (should be 1, 64-63, I don't understand that fully).

Just a correction (adjustment) with a more fresh mind: you lost 125 hit points. With blue armor this is divided into 63 health, 62 armor. Your health was reduced to -13 (50-63) and it is displayed as 0% on HUD. Armor was reduced to 2 (64-62).

The maximum hit point loss in this case - rocket against a wall - is 128. If trace_givendamage returns 65 or more (with blue armor), this is suspicious, as you probably damaged yourself and a monster as well. Note that these parameters only return your health, not total hit points (hence 63 and not 125).

Plutonia map 25 UV-Pacifist in 00:27.31

A much better demo this time, skipping the berzerk\megasphere.
Requires quite a lot of luck, but all of that went perfect, really happy to actually make the RJ, because I failed several times even when the zombiemen\revenant were to close for splash damage.

I checked -trace_givendamage 2 and health of all zombiemen\revenants, given damage was 125 (128 or lower expected with no armor) and no monsters took any damage either when rocket hit.

pp25-027.zip

That's cool, the rocket jump added some interesting complications: not a very common situation in pacifist.

oh lol... I can't believe this...

So pl25-020 by JC was not pacifist (147 damage), and I did my pl25-018 with a similar method, just going for the RJ right away. If you look closely you'll notice both revenants and zombiemen moving towards me or away from where I put the rocket.

Well, damage is 126 and none of the revenants and closest zombiemen took any damage.

So pl25-018 is actually pp25-018... my bad. :D

Awesome demo, I just watched it now :-P Looks like you'll be checking everything now just in case lol.

Plutonia map 25 UV-Pacifist in 00:16.03 and UV-Speed in 00:15.66

Yes, .03 hurts, but the only difference between speed and pacifist is pure luck, so personally I don't care. My goal was actually 16 seconds, but since I got 16:03 I had to go for 15. Main reason for improvement was a quicker way to grab rocket launcher.

plutonia-map25.zip

TNT map32, tyson in 1:06:55. A lucky run with many solutions improvised on the fly. Take some popcorn and see how my panic evolves into the horror of evilution.

et326655.zip

TNT Evilution Map 18 UV-speed in 01:27.26

Incase someone doesn't know\remember this map, stx-vile discovered an insane rocket jump to grab a yellow key here. I thought this was one of the craziest tricks out there, turns out it can be done a lot more consistent.

Edit: After further practice it should be easier by moving 1 more tic towards the left compared to what I had in the demo, and this rocket jump is almost too easy. Not only does this skip some of the route having to pick up the blue key and activating the switches for yellow key, but it skips the 27-28 seconds you have to wait for some teleporter to the blue key. Which would make for much better demos that do either full runs or ep 2.

edit 2: and you can pick up red key -> invurnability -> RJ to soulsphere and RJ to YK before it wears off in movie\episode runs, costs some time to pick it up of course but much better than picking up blue key, you could afford to fail this trick twice.

ev18-127.zip

Final Doom: TNT Evilution Movie UV-Speed in 44:16

I am not sure if I would recommend watching this demo, since j4rio's 30ev-4434 is more impressive.

I did however get the chance to include a certain trick on map 18 :)

I feel bad for leaving it still above 44 minutes, but after playing maps 1-3 a few too many times I think I've had enough for a while.

I've figured that ep 1 of plutonia on nightmare might be possible with glides, though map 4 is really something. I might give that some attempts next.

30ev4416.zip

Heh, I can't decide if that's a genuine asshole reply or just friendly soliciting more demos.

ZeroMaster010 said:

I've figured that ep 1 of plutonia on nightmare might be possible with glides, though map 4 is really something. I might give that some attempts next.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about 10pn since I'm lazy and can't be bothered to learn doom2 properly atm. Have you figured out something classy for map09? From doing nightmare with saves I remember map04 was kinda doable with lots of rockets and luck (like, reasonable amounts of luck). Map05 was surprisingly BS as well because of the hitscan but still semi-reasonable. Of course this was a while back and I didn't really practice it a lot. But from what I remember map09 might be biggest problem in trying this run since it's close to the end and the exit room is such a massive load of bs.

Thanks for all the comments.

kunkun said:

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about 10pn since I'm lazy and can't be bothered to learn doom2 properly atm. Have you figured out something classy for map09? From doing nightmare with saves I remember map04 was kinda doable with lots of rockets and luck (like, reasonable amounts of luck). Map05 was surprisingly BS as well because of the hitscan but still semi-reasonable. Of course this was a while back and I didn't really practice it a lot. But from what I remember map09 might be biggest problem in trying this run since it's close to the end and the exit room is such a massive load of bs.

Just yesterday I made a lot of progress with map 4, I feel a lot better on this map now. If you haven't noticed, killing the barons will cause them to respawn in those small rooms where they are trapped, so once you kill them they won't get in your way. I also grab the plasma rifle in the start since it doesn't seem to cost me any health, and it is very usefull once you get the blue key.

But, you asked about map 9, I did a nm-speed demo of it (posted on the previous page, or dsda) which shows how I plan to do that map. Dime did some trigger skip to avoid the mancubi in the last room which I copy in nightmare, the door which you enter from closes if you walk a bit forward, and I spam rockets to kill all the chaingunners and imps. Then I setup for the trigger skip and just plasma down all the imps first and grab mega armor before I hit the switch. It works really well.

I might need to practice map 5 some more, in the start I try to obviously rush the megasphere, usually the mastermind seems to be busy with something else so I should reach the last room with 100\100, from there I try to kill some barons with rockets trough the gap before I go for the archvile\switch and exit. Last room of map 6 is painful as well, though I have 200\200 starting there.

ZeroMaster010 said:

But, you asked about map 9, I did a nm-speed demo of it (posted on the previous page, or dsda) which shows how I plan to do that map. Dime did some trigger skip to avoid the mancubi in the last room which I copy in nightmare, the door which you enter from closes if you walk a bit forward, and I spam rockets to kill all the chaingunners and imps. Then I setup for the trigger skip and just plasma down all the imps first and grab mega armor before I hit the switch. It works really well.

God damn, that makes so much sense. I did my pn09 before I knew about the skip. Afterwards I just looked the skip on UV and thought "that's kinda cute but not really useful" but didn't think how good it'd be on nightmare. All those times I got blasted to the pit by mancubi, for nothing!

Very nice, I think with few mistakes and including this with tricks like map 17 glide and map 18 rocket jump that TNT d2all can go below 41 minutes, even 40 minutes with a more aggresive and optimized route. That would obviously be very difficult.

dew said:

Heh, I can't decide if that's a genuine asshole reply or just friendly soliciting more demos.

Let's say 20/80 on those respectively ;)

So, I said I didn't recommend to watch my 30ev4416.

I would like to do the opposite now, and strongly recommend that you watch my last demo:

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, Episode 1 NM-Speed in 18:34.31

... what a rush.

(You're really going to like map 7)

1830pn01.zip