Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment, Episode 2 NM-Speed in 13:33 (13:38.17)

And there we go, this was a really frustrating run, my map 12 description will give you an idea of why that is.

Turns out the NM 100 route for map 12 was possible with BFG from map 11 and RJ to exit the map so that map 13 isn't pistol start.

Several tricks are included in this run which helps making this run actually possible.

This was the shortest episode run compared to ep1\ep3, though more difficult. The only run I want to do at the moment is 30pn, so I don't think I will be posting too many demos anymore :) Unless one of my other runs are beaten which might motivate me to improve it.

1333pn11.zip

Azan yousuf said:

I am 11 years old and I love doom. This is my demo for map 31 Pharoah of TNT

The "compet-N" thread is about world records, recorded under original executables, and a demo must come with a text file. It's pretty strict, you know. Moving to "Final Doom demos thread"...

I started recording demos around '13, so I was like 10 and I found how to record demos. Not a surprise to me.

MD922 said:

I started recording demos around '13, so I was like 10 and I found how to record demos. Not a surprise to me.

This explains a lot.

TNT Map 18 UV-Speed in 01:19.51
TNT Map 18 NM-Speed in 01:36.00
TNT Map 18 UV-Pacifist in 01:34.86

Previous times were 1:27 (UV-speed) by me and 2:29 (NM) and 2:06 (Pacifist) by Xit-Vono.

I forgot I didn't do this map with rocketjump on NM and pacfist, and my uv-speed was garbage, so I just had to do these. There is still room for improvement, but getting past some spectres + several chaingunners with 16 health followed by a 3 shotgunners somewhere around ain't fun! NM and pacifist should be easier to improve.

Also, those barons on the elevator are really something... they very often find some way to block the elevator on its way up.

ev18.zip

Plutonia Map 13 UV-Speed in 00:35.57
Plutonia Map 13 NM-Speed in 00:38.69

Previous times were 0:39 (UV-Speed) by Xit Vono and 0:49 (NM-Speed) by me.

So after learning how to do north directed glides I had to do these as well :)

Getting to the exit in the last room was quite painful on NM because of all the hitscanners, and the arch vile usually hits before I reach it, so I figured I'd just let them kill me and boost me straight into the exit.

I'd also imagine with a BFG you can save around 15 seconds on any d2all\ep2 uv-speed run with this method. And you don't have to kill the mancubi anymore in d2all\ep2 nm-speed, though you can hit the switch first and BFG the baron on the mega armor and get out without taking damage which makes things a lot easier.

plutonia13.zip

Do you mind explaining what you're doing differently in the north directed version? To an outsider you're doing the exact same thing on both directions unless you can see the inputs used.

Great runs as always.

I also posted a nomo demo in 0:24, the .txt there kinda explains it:

"I don't know the specifics since I don't do TAS, but I think once you notice a very thin line kind of move out of place on the left side you apply the smallest amount of vertical mouse movement that you can and the glide should work every time. However, it can be very difficult to not move past the gap when you try to get in the right spot."

One thing I forgot to mention is that you need to apply some vertical mouse movement before you start moving forward into the correct position. If you don't do that then you will move slightly to the right when you try to do the final step, but then you can just move forward to the line moves again so it's not a big deal.

Here are two images that shows the difference:
http://imgur.com/enLxUgw,zTHWkIl#0

So you very carefully tap move forward until you see the change, and then you start to use vertical mouse movement. I think that MF1 tics (slowest possible speed) should be enough, but either way just using as small movement as I can seems to work every time. If done correctly, it works 100% of the time, after some practice this type of glide is not any more difficult than a south directed glide, but west directed glides are still a lot easier.

Also, for east direceted glides, I just tap walk forward carefully 3 times (after the line moves) to get the right position in the gap, and use vertical mousemovement to get through. These are more random as I sometimes move past the gap this way, or not far enough, luckily they have no use for me anyways. At best this method for east directed glides works 50% of the time for me, but the setup is too slow for any speedrun demo.

Edit: I think it might be MF2 tics needed to get through, but MF1 tics doesn't move you out of the gap, so by using a small amount of vertical mouse movement I suspect I eventually go from doing MF1 to MF2 which then gets me through. But I don't really care about the specifics myself, just how it works in practice, so if anyone cares about details like that then ask those who do TAS demos.

Me and Noobest started working on TNT coop runs and started with ILs (episodes and movie later), here are some we've done so far (not all are good, but that's a start)

tntcoopdemos.zip

Plutonia Map 06 UV-Speed in 01:01.49
Plutonia Map 28 UV-Speed in 01:26.63
Plutonia Map 08 NM-Speed in 00:17.80
Plutonia Map 24 NM-Speed in 00:46.54
Plutonia Map 19 NM 100S in 00:27.20

Dime took my scythe d2all record, so I took some of his plutonia records! also some nightmare runs. Of these demos pl28 was the most work, 1:28 several times and I was aiming for 1:27 in the end, but then I got 1:26.

An update on plutonia NM:
I'm almost done with planning how to do the entire run now, a lot of different ideas to make survival as high as possible and while also considereing time compared to my episode runs. It doesn't really pay off to take things slow on nightmare anyways because of respawn, so it's pretty much crazy from the very start to the very end.

I probably still want to run through tombstone (map 23) a couple of 100 times before I start, this is the hardest map of all the 30 I have to run through at the moment. The megasphere is quite easy to reach, so I should have about 200\200 and 600 cells at the start of that map, and there's like 400 cells to pick up, 200\200 + 1000 cells, sounds easy right? I've tried a lot of different approaches, but it's impossible to make this map conistent in terms of reaching the exit alive. You just need some low damage rolls on the hits you are guranteed to take, and a single mistake like getting stuck can just outright kill you.

Also nice runs Tezur0, I'd love to see some ep\d2all coop of TNT.

plutonia.zip

On Plutonia map14, it is possible to rocket jump straight to the exit from the platform with the backpack. This should be several seconds faster than grabbing the yellow key.

This may be old, but it's not used in the current nomo or UV speed demos on DSDA, nor in ClumsyDoomer's TAS. The nomo record at least should be quite easy to beat for a skilled player. I can do the jump in nomo with a savestate, so it certainly works, but I'm too lazy to record a demo myself.

Doing it with monsters in the way is probably quite hard though (at least without tool assistance).

I didn't quite manage to get it myself yet, hard to find the correct angle, but if you say it's possible then as far as I know this is definitely a new thing. No doubt that this can save several seconds. I also noticed you can grab the green armor by the chaingunners through the fence, so you'll have enough health to survive the RJ. Getting past the revenants isn't too difficult, 1 chaingunner gets telefragged and the second 1 you can just kill with a rocket. The problem would be getting a quick RJ without getting disturbed by all the monsters. So, very nice find :) I'm sure someone will get around to this.

edit: nice setup cyber, this is super easy rocket jump, shouldn't be a problem.

This should be the best route, this demo (no monsters) is 13 seconds (don't upload to dsda), 12 shouldn't be too difficult, 11 might be optimal.

Awesome find Fredrik!

edit: as Fredrik mentioned below, it's possible to get around the fence, a bit difficult, but saves around a second!

pl14nomo.zip

Not only can you grab the green armor through the fence, you can also run along the ledge straight to the rocket launcher instead of dropping down. This trick is already used in the 18 second demo on DSDA.

For those glides like in pl08, do you need to adjust the vertical sensitivity at all or can it be done with the default vertical sens? I haven't had much luck doing that one. :p

I assume lower vertical sensitivity would make it easier, but I don't think that is necessary. So default vertical sens should be good.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with guideless glides, but for map 08 make sure you go to the right side after the elevator, as that glide is west directed, the easiest type (east directed are very difficult to do quickly, but useless in IWADs). Use either demo recording or -shorttics parameter so it's easy to find the correct angle, which is when you move slowly to the left while going forward against the wall\gap. Get to the centre of the gap and keep moving forward until you are stuck, or not moving any further to the left.

Then use a very small amount of vertical mouse movement to get through, since it needs to be a small amount it may be easier with a lower vertical sensitivity, but I'm not sure.

Incase you mean map 09, that glide is a bit different, in that case you would have to move a step backwards before you reach the gap, as you don't always get stuck. Then you have to use a slightly larger amount of vertical mouse movement, or disable vertical mouse movement and use strafe on and turn with mouse with the smallest possible speed.

Edit: I tried increasing my sensitivity to a really high value, and I can't get through, so there might be some point where higher sensitivity makes it impossible, but I don't know what the default value is compared to that. I did however manage to get past map 09 glide, which required slighty higher sens.

ZeroMaster010 said:

This should be the best route, this demo (no monsters) is 13 seconds (don't upload to dsda), 12 shouldn't be too difficult, 11 might be optimal.

Awesome find Fredrik!

edit: as Fredrik mentioned below, it's possible to get around the fence, a bit difficult, but saves around a second!

11? Optimal? Nope.
10.46 using a different route that is faster (this is nomo btw)
With no bumping at all, maybe 9.

EDIT: Reread what Fredrik said. Yes, I did the fence jump.

pl14o010.zip

MD922 said:

11? Optimal? Nope.
10.46 using a different route that is faster (this is nomo btw)
With no bumping at all, maybe 9.

EDIT: Reread what Fredrik said. Yes, I did the fence jump.

might be :P and again second saved from going around. Nicely done.

I did manage to get that glide after about 10 minutes of trying. I was not getting myself stuck before trying to wiggle through before. Still haven't figured out how to replicate the effect reliably but I'll keep playing with it. Thanks!

You may want to try using cndoom for gliding.
It has some extra code added to the end of G_BuildTiccmd that improves low resolution turning when recording demos :)

I'm still working on Nomo 9. I was supposed to be 9, but good ol' doom had me trigger skip the exit, so we'll see. If I do UV-Speed, I'll do it CNDoom so CNDoom-database gets more demos :)

Would you just go for map 13 megasphere if you're doing this rj on 14?