Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

Nice job.

While watching that, it occurred to me that the Speed and Pacifist (and NM too I suppose) routes on this map could be improved a fair bit. Here's how...

pp21-007

Just a casually-recorded route-demonstration demo. I suppose 0:05 or 0:04 should be the target time. So have at it, speed demons.

Edit: Ignore what I say in the txt about the jump being strafe-50. In fact, it can be done without running, never mind strafing.

Nice find! Heh, I did notice that the jump doesn't require strafe50, but I guess you found out yourself. Why don't you record a COMPET-N run with that route? :-)

I'll leave that to someone else. Besides, it would feel wrong to beat Sedlo's amazing pl21-007 with a sloppy pp21-006.

I'm more inclined to record a stroller using this route, actually. :)

Grazza said:
I'll leave that to someone else. Besides, it would feel wrong to beat Sedlo's amazing pl21-007 with a sloppy pp21-006.

I understand exactly what you mean... And you're right. I don't think I'll attempt it myself, either, for the same reason.

I'd love to see a stroller! :-)))

Grazza said:

pp21-007

Just a casually-recorded route-demonstration demo. I suppose 0:05 or 0:04 should be the target time.

How do you perform such tricks so easyly??? Do you know something or it is based on luck only?

Kristian Ronge said:

I'd love to see a stroller! :-)))

Funny, your posting this wish coincided almost exactly with me getting an exit. Maybe we should create a collector for demo luck energy or something... Ahem, anyway, here's the demo:

pl21s011

So, two Plutonia strollers done, just 30 left. :p

entryway said:

How do you perform such tricks so easyly??? Do you know something or it is based on luck only?

I used cack_handed's method, which seems to make this type of glide a fair bit easier. I presume people had looked at this before, but decided it wasn't feasible (due to the lack of room for a run-up) without a speed boost - thus the rocket boost being used for the compet-n runs.

cack_handed's discovery was that these glides could be done by a low-speed method, using mouse move. You line yourself up, and move the mouse forward very slowly - so slow that you're barely moving at all. And for some reason you slip through the gap. Sometimes at least. There's still a big element of luck involved, but the odds seem less heavily against you.

PP21-006 done and sent to Opulent.
5 seconds is definitely possible but I'm working on PT09 so someone else will have to make it happen.

Wow pt09 is hard I think. I tried it in practice but there is not enough bullets to finish the end without mancos fighting revenants, which is a big hassle, so if you can do it then props to you.

Yeah I'm not even close yet but with savegames I was able to kill every monster and the time was something like 50 minutes or more.

I actually had just enough bullets for the final room but it would be very hard (impossible?) to get every single monster and have enough health left in a legitimate demo. It would take a lot of patience and practice to pull it off.

One trick would be to kill a chaingunner close to the arch-vile and get some extra ammo but that costs health and is frustrating to do. You can also get the revenants to shoot the mancubi (by standing close to them) in the final room to save some bullets.

I'm not even sure I seriously want to try it but it's possible. I think PT13 is a more realistic and easier run to do.

Yes pt13 should be possible. It would be difficult but not really more difficult than the ones that have been complete already. I would also look at 16 and 25 but they would probably be a little harder. I believe et31 is still undone so that should be fairly simple.

Congratulations for your PT21, z0diac! I'm very glad that my incomplete runs inspired people.

Please don't overlook PT19, since it's actually not much (if any) harder than the levels you have mentioned currently. The level layout allows many sneaky tactics with teleports, door (near the exit) and a lift (near the exit). Careful and lucky infights is the key here. The only really hard monsters to kill are 1) the cyberdemon and 2) the arch-vile in the yellow key room. Other than that it's not very problematic for a skilled player.

Here are some PT19 observations:

It might be good to try using one of the arch-viles to kill the cyber.

Killing the arch-vile at the yellow key room may take a while with infights, but it's probably the only choice.

It's quite easy to get revenants stuck on the edge of the narrow lift near the exit.

Well, I'm not sure if I can complete any undode tysons, but I'd be glad to contribute with ideas and possibly some incomplete demos. I hope we'll see some new final doom tysons done in the (near) future.

Good luck!

I have tried PT19 and the cyberdemon pretty much kills the run. There are just not enough bullets to kill him. Otherwise the level is quite easy with all the teleports and the lift you mentioned.

PT25 is hard but definitely possible. The hell knight room is tricky but you have over 200 bullets for them. You can even telefrag one or two of them with some luck.

ET31 has another cyber and he cannot be punched and the lack of bullets makes it pretty much impossible (as far as I remember).

I've played Plutonia map01 with Tools-Assistance
TAS UV speed - 0:09
TAS UV max - 1:23

Max looks improvable, because i have 2 rockets left unused. It leads to some possible variations, so maybe i'll come back to this map later. Still satisfied with the tricks though. Enjoy!

pl01anp.zip

Well here we go.

Plutonia map 32 (go2it) uv-fast in 5:05

My hands were ridiculously shaking in the last battle so no minute barrier breaking.

pl32f505.zip

Sweet! I like those long non-berserk tysons, utilizing monster infighting to the max.

Memfis said:

Sweet! I like those long non-berserk tysons, utilizing monster infighting to the max.

Thanks. :))
Yeah tysons are awesome.

Also...

tnt map 3 tyson in 8:33

et03-833.zip