Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

On 2/10/2019 at 12:02 AM, Grazza said:

Chocolate Doom (at least, the old version that I tested it with).

Reveal hidden contents

T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55376, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55376, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55376, sector: 116, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55377, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55377, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55377, sector: 116, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55378, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55378, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55378, sector: 116, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55379, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55379, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55379, sector: 116, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55380, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55380, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55380, sector: 116, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55381, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55381, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55381, sector: 116, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55382, sector: 114, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55382, sector: 115, complevel: 4
T_MovePlane: Stairs which can potentially crush may lead to desynch in compatibility mode. gametic: 55382, sector: 116, complevel: 4

I'd be curious to know which Choco version that was, because someone *ahem* changed the code to initialize the 'crush' field as well:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/commit/bfda08cf5275a70a705b3d290ca5271d40481993

Discussion leading to this commit;

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/368#issuecomment-76356171

It was an ancient version (dated 13-02-2006) that happened to be the one in my Doom2 directory.

Ah, so it seems that it is no longer true that Choc (and Crispy) do "not touch the memory manager and the sizes of all internal data" and therefore cannot retain general compatibility with vanilla in these cases. I didn't realize that had changed.

Andrey chose values that fixed the cases he knew about at the time, but understood that it would not work in all cases (it happened to work for mm09-512.lmp too, as it turned out).

So it seems that now none of these ports can reliably emulate the vanilla behaviour, but have different incompatibilities. That's a shame. If that can't be remedied, it would be nice if they could at least be consistent with each other.

Incidentally, Dime seems to have been very unlucky in this respect. No other demos that I am aware of have desynched due to this happening on ev21 (single level or movies), and it has happened to him twice.

Just to be clear: the stdout output that I quoted was from current Prb+.

Edited by Grazza

Ty Andrea!

My stream was dropping frames leading into the final maps of evilution and I commented to a chatter "no worries Im recording a demo so the final product will be untarnished". Excitedly I upload it and zeromaster comments in a speedrunning discord that the desync happened again in map 25. From elation to deflation. 

Back in 2014 I swapped from chocolate doom to cndoom because map 30 of plutonia is prone to crashing if you use the BFG while the redrock wall lowers to the icon of sin but cndoom and crispy brought in desyncs on administration. 

Clearly the only solution here is to run 30ev in dosbox :)

Also this was actually the 3rd time it happened to dime, I never had it happen myself. I think if anyone is going to do 30ev again it's probably best to activate the stairs, then kill the imps, as this should gurantee no desync happens, at least in this case.

I am just so happy that my nightmare run didn't desync to this.

19 hours ago, Grazza said:

Ah, so it seems that it is no longer true that Choc (and Crispy) do "not touch the memory manager and the sizes of all internal data" and therefore cannot retain general compatibility with vanilla in these cases. I didn't realize that had changed.

Leaving this value in the struct uninitialized doesn't mean it gets the same random value as Vanilla would - that's impossible to achieve. Thus, we decided to initialize it with *some* value, but apparently the one I chose introduced bias. I am very sorry for this and apologize for my mistake! A PR to help mitigating the issue has already been filed: 

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/pull/1137

plutonia ep2 nm100s in 36:14

youtube, all episodes in 1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lw1_1Cf83A

If I ever attempt to do the d2all I will do every attempt on stream, since I never stream I'll most likely never complete it :)

edit: re uploaded zip, thanks grazza, I have no idea where my mind was at when I wrote the times down, haha.

11ps3614.zip

Edited by ZeroMaster010

Nice. BTW, there is a mistake in the txt in the times for maps 15, 31 and 32. (I haven't checked them all, but these stood out.)

15 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

I already lost all the records there bud.

You still had them when I recorded those demos.

Plutonia D2ALL UV-Max in 2:05:00

By uploading this I'm breaking my promise to validate most of my relevant runs by streaming them, but unfortunately my current work situation and PC setup prevents me from recording, let alone streaming these days. I'll probably rerun this in the future once I can stream efficiently again.

The run was really shit in a few maps, 12-15 especially were full of disastrous moments that cost half to a full minute each. Most of my multi-segment attempts were around 120-122 minutes range, so that definitely could be improved, especially since I forgot most of my routing I did last Autumn and I'm pretty shoddy at Doom in general as well. The route itself definitely has a lot of room for improvements as well - I'll spend the next week or two analyzing this demo along with IL UV-Max runs looking for them.

plall-20500.zip

Edited by tchkb

Hey @tchkb your Plutonia D2All demo de syncs on Map 02 at the invisible bridge section. I replayed it 3 times to be sure that it wasn't a compatibly level issue on my end on pr-boom plus.

Fine for me. It's -iwad plutonia or -complevel 4, @Philnemba you must play it either with -file plutonia or -complevel 2 as doing it this way desyncs exactly there.

8 hours ago, vdgg said:

Fine for me. It's -iwad plutonia or -complevel 4, @Philnemba you must play it either with -file plutonia or -complevel 2 as doing it this way desyncs exactly there.

I goofed as I was using complevel 2 instead of 4 -_-;