Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

Ultimate Doom demos [-complevel 3]

Short, fun map despite having to crash headlong into a wall of damage within the first 3 seconds.

I'm a little surprised this hadn't already been done. That tele must be ancient knowledge, surely?

n4s4-047.zip

I think that's the last of the easy E4 NM IL improvements. (IMO)

SAV88 thinks N4M8 could come down to 55 but that level is weaponized anti-fun, so some other maniac can have that one.

n4s7-038.zip

Thanks to my ISP being junk as of late, playing anything online after work is a total bust. But DOOM'll never let you down, so here's the result of some de-rust/practice.

I'd like to revisit this at some point as I think around 1:43 is possible if all the stars align. Feedback appreciated.

n1s7-146.zip

Episode 4 UV-Speed in 3:11 (4:13 including E4M8)

This is a 31 second improvement over E4M1-E4M7 time, and 37 seconds faster than E4M1-E4M8 time.

There we go, a very solid episode 4 run and a run that I'm really happy with, just some small mistakes in E4M1 and E4M4, it's now the shortest episode, but it might still be the hardest to get through of the doom 1 episodes. Even threw in a rocket jump on E4M8 to save some time there :)

I was planning on streaming this run, but it's so short and I just die over and over on E4M1 that I figured it wouldn't be very interesting. However I will now start working on my craziest demo yet, to get a 30nm time that I would be happy with, I expect that to take forever so I plan on streaming that sometime next year.

ep4-0311.zip

E4M8 UV-Speed in 0:46

After watching ZeroMaster's demo, his E4M8 reminded me of my first demo ever made public (it's actually in this thread) and remembered what I couldn't do at that time with my abilities, and I've always wanted to make this demo. 3 second improvement of a run that hasn't been touched since '99 by Andy Kempling. Pretty happy with this :)
Also, Andy Kempling's run is a Compet-n record but this is recorded in PrBoom+.

u4m8-046.zip

Some ultimate doom nightmare episode runs:

Episode 1 NM-Speed in 6:39 (7:52 with M8), 7 (43) seconds faster than stx-vile's 13 year old record.
Episode 2 NM-Speed in 3:45 (5:25 with M8), 6 (-18) seconds faster than Gurlugon's 5 or so months old record.
Episode 3 NM-Speed in 4:08 (4:21 with M8), 2 (2) seconds faster than stx-vile's 11 year old record
Episode 4 NM-Speed in 5:42 (6:54 with M8), 12 (24) seconds faster than stx-vile's 13 year old record

Added them to a youtube playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZytseuWZHvk&index=1&list=PLSY2ZP_tOA_h2BoVlkTbxMeubDPlLp7pi

From easiest to hardest to do: E4, E2, E3, E1.
From most enjoyable\fun to painful\boring: E4,E1,E2,E3

I have witnessed some of the most messed up bad luck that makes me appreciate just how extremely lucky I got during 30pn. Once you've played doom for many many hours you get a good feeling of just how many bullets\plasma it takes to kill something, but sometimes you get a streak of 5,5,10,15,5,5 with the plasma on a demon and you figure he would go down, but instead he hits you with a couple of high damage bites in no time once you let go of fire. Not to mention the countless times I have turned away with the chaingun during episode 1 thinking I'd done enough damage to kill my target. The barrels are extremely dangerous on episode 1 too, they are everywhere and they have killed me way too many times. Episode 4 turned out to be very fun to run, not very difficult either, which is somewhat surprising since it's the hardest for UV, main reason might be because the route isn't too extreme.

Usually you don't get to see the struggles that go into a run since you only watch the run that actually made it, however there were some... unexplained intervention from possibly a higher being during my episode 1 run, because there is no way that should have made it to the end. You might think I had everything perfectly planned out for the trick at the start of E1M6 with low health, but nope, sometimes mercy is shown, even on nightmare.

At one point I was thinking that once I finished this I would only be missing 30tn, thankfully elim beat my 30nm so he completely removed any such ridiculous thoughts from my mind, so thank you elim! :)

That means I'll probably go back to streaming 30nm again in a few weeks, not sure when, but around 20 CET at twitch.tv/zeromaster010.

udepnm-zm.zip

ZeroMaster010 said:

Episode 2 NM-Speed in 3:45 (5:25 with M8), 6 (-18) seconds faster than Gurlugon's 5 or so months old record.

Another run that'll end up in the wrong position on the DSDA board! :D
It's getting kinda silly now tbh.

Nice runs, though! The Ep2 setup on m7 seemed kinda pointless, but I'm guessing you didn't want to spend too much time on the run. The void glide method seems interesting. Does it always work that fast?

Ep4 actually didn't look that hard just as you said, so we'll probably see someone like Gurlugon have another crack at that one which would be cool.

Ep1 looks just as annoying to play in NM as it does in UV. Still some clever routing and monster manip though. Enjoyable to watch.

Ep3 looks almost identical to UV D: Still super clean and nice to watch.

Overall, nice to see more IWAD records getting pushed! When are we gonna get more people standing up to ZeroMaster? :D

E2M7 was a complete waste, if the demons don't get in your way it would only be 2 seconds slower than trying to go for it straight away, so 14 seconds or so, but it's very easy to do. I just couldn't get the quick RJ consistent.

The void glide was maybe a bit slow, however it always works as long as you don't get hit by anything. The angle I use for the switch press is also quite nice, because as long as there is a single light colored pixel between the shotgun tip and the wall you know you are too far to the right, and that just as it goes away you should be very close if not in the right spot. (looking at the video that doesn't seem to be true for prboom with the settings I use, there's still a light pixel when I activate it).

Ep3 has by far the least amount of time save possible at this point, but it's also easy once you get past E3M1.

Doom EP1 UV-Max in 22:23
Doom EP1 UV-Max in 21:39

Been running this for about 6 days now, made a couple good exits me thinks. Still need to get faster, the main issue is I suck at aiming and at utilizing ammo properly (namely rockets!)

Also, these can be put on archive if the maintainer wants to, I do intend to continue running this to try and take the record. Vile is a fucking monster though, so it will be very difficult.

e1maxdemos.zip

good times, my best is like 23 or 24 something, but I also haven't properly routed it either :P
Also, I plan on ignoring CN timing rules, since I believe that they are absolutely retarded, especially for a max category, not sure if that's how you're gonna play, but that's how I am.

Not sure what those rules are, I've just been going off the final time for all maps in the episode. I think there's still a good number of places to optimize better, will be good to see what either of us can come up with.

I still can't get down to Vile's times on almost all the maps. I've gotten M1 and M9 by a few seconds before, and I've been within 10 on M2 and M3. The rest I just can't match at all quite yet. Although my main spot for saving time will be M8, just need to practice the jump more.

@Rayzik man,Vile is truly an insane runner. But still your time is very good so far. My best was like 26/27, very bad haha:D well, as you already got 21 so I think you'll be able to achieve even more better time, good luck :)

E2M8 UV-Fast in 0:30.11

I just can't do this anymore, this is the least fun run I've ever attempted, it has no redeeming qualities. Maybe I'll try again some day, or somebody else will get it.

f2m8-030.zip

kraflab said:

E2M8 UV-Fast in 0:30.11

Hey, it is faster than a Compet-N record! That is always an achievement in itself! What a precise rocket launcher run, indeed!

Aqfaq said:

it is faster than a Compet-N record! That is always an achievement in itself!

Too many C-N runs suck, just saying. And killing the cybie with 37 rockets is quite a good rng!, 1 less and it was 29s...

My best opening was ~1300 damage in 9 rockets, which is insane (that's pace for a 28 rocket kill), but the rolls were so bad after that that I didn't even kill the cyber.

Ancalagon said:

When I watched doom maxes, this map surprised me as I didn't doom to contain a bfg spam map...

Heh indeed, this is quite different from what I remembered about this map. Pretty much nothing but BFG shots.