Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

Ultimate Doom demos [-complevel 3]

1 hour ago, Dwaze said:

Hi thanks for pointing that out, force of habit i think 🙂

In time the habit turns into exiting as soon as you die and then realize that you were just playing casually.

4 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Easiest way to find the conversion is just look at how the other demos are named.

Given that his naming couldn't have been more correct, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

3 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

In time the habit turns into exiting as soon as you die and then realize that you were just playing casually.

Funny. This could be one of those "You know you're a speedrunner if you understand this" kind of lines. Even worse if you quit casual play for slightly bumping into a wall in the first second.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Given that his naming couldn't have been more correct, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

What?

When I started posting demos I got told to use the correct naming format (even though andy didn't mind).

That's because you had used (and continue to use) non-standard naming. Dwaze named his demo just fine, so your comment seems odd, as if to suggest that he hasn't done so.

Edited by Grazza

E1M3 UV-Speed in 0:41

Spoiler

I was actually trying to get a 0:42. I had a dozen 0:43 times already after numerous tries, so eventually getting a 0:41 and skipping 0:42 altogether is quite amazing.

Also this time no failed attempts in the demo.

e1m3d041.zip

Edited by Dwaze : replaced video url

E1M4 UV-Speed (edit: & Pacifist) in 0:12

Very happy with this one, That jump is tricky.

Also is it possible that Adam Hegyi's 0:12 run of the same category is missing on dsda?

Spoiler

e1m4b012.zip

Edited by Dwaze : renamed attachment

3 minutes ago, ZeroMaster010 said:

His demo is pacifist, and so is yours.

aaah totally forgot about that, my bad ty

On 4/26/2018 at 12:47 AM, Memfis said:

And really fun to watch too! I have two questions:

1) Would it be unrealistic to just skip the imps at the start of e3m3 and hope you can fall down somehow anyway? Seemed like you lost a bit of time fighting there.

2) Have you considered taking a slight detour somewhere in order to collect more plasma so that you can kill the mastermind faster? It was a little strange to see you running around the map instead of going to fight straight away. Or did you not care about e3m8 time?

@Memfis a bit of a late reply, anyways

I don't think leaving them all alive would ever work, since the imps have so much time to gather up, but leaving 1-2 of them is something you can get away with sometimes if you are lucky, might be worth it. Perhaps if the first 2 levels are a bit slow it would be a good idea to recover some time. There's also another trick which is to catch the other elevator on the way back up, but that's really difficult, I think that skips the imps.

There's a BFG on E3M3 (or E3M7) which can be used instead, so yeah didn't care about E3M8 time here.

Also my time was beaten by 4 (8 with M8) seconds by Hi Jango (I can't imagine anyone wanting to improve this ever, though E3 is rather easy, E3M1 is very annoying), he uploaded demo to competn website and not here, so for anyone that missed it:

He actually leaves at least 1 imp alive on E3M3, so yeah probably worth to gamble with leaving 1-2 alive. He loses 1 second on E3M6 because of bad luck with the demon survivng direct rocket, and E3M4 is a bit slow and maybe some time could be saved on E3M7 (Hi Jango has both UV-Speed records for those levels as well, so he would know :)

Edited by ZeroMaster010

Hey guys,  I'm fairly new here and I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I've been speedrunning Doom off and on for a while and just recently was inspired to do some NM100S runs.

This is my first time posting an LMP so please go easy on me. :P

Anyway, here is a demo of E3M2 done in 0:42. This beats the previous time by Andy Kempling by one second, which was set way back in 1999. Detailed comments are in the description.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

NS32-042.zip

59 minutes ago, kubelwagon185 said:

Hey guys,  I'm fairly new here and I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I've been speedrunning Doom off and on for a while and just recently was inspired to do some NM100S runs.

Anyway, here is a demo of E3M2 done in 0:42. This beats the previous time by Andy Kempling by one second, which was set way back in 1999. Detailed comments are in the description.

NS32-042.zip

Holy moly, congrats dude. Nice to see records still falling to this day :)

1 hour ago, kubelwagon185 said:

NS32-042.zip

Good job on the run (haven't watched it yet), but - demos recorded with a source port (as your text file says yours was) aren't eligible for COMPET-N, or this thread. Only demos recorded with the appropriate original .EXE are eligible for COMPET-N.

You can submit source port demos to the DSDA, and post ones for Doom 1 in this thread for non COMPET-N demos:

That thread has some other better-than-competn runs recorded on source ports, not sure if there's an N3S2 in there.

Edit: also your file name is wrong - NS32 is the filename for a Doom2 MAP32 NM100S run :) Should be N3S2-042.

Hey guys! Just wanted to post a few very belated notes on the Episode Run Map 8 Controversy.

One question that was asked a couple of times but never answered is, if the time for M8 doesn't count, why run it at all? The answer's fairly simple: it was always an intended requirement for the movie runs that the runner complete the *whole* episode according to the rules of the category. The fact that we couldn't count the *time* for M8 was an unfortunate limitation, but that didn't mean you got out of *doing the level*, that was still required. (And remember, back in the day when these rules were set, just completing M8 was by no means a given). It may sound kinda trivial but it really isn't, especially for some runs - you can certainly take a death in e.g. E2M8 pretty easily, especially in nightmare. I've lost would-have-been-record runs to deaths in M8 before. Of course, if you want to do something like an episode Tyson or Pacifist run, it becomes even more significant.

I think ZeroMaster has a very good point that you can't just say "OK let's all just start running M8 fast and count the M8 time" because *routing* is affected by whether M8 counts. As well as the examples he cites, it's also significant in episode 1: rocket ammo is extremely limited in EP1, and if the M8 time counts, you might want to save some rockets you would otherwise use on M5, M6 or M7 to use on the two barons in M8 instead.

Personally I'd probably vote that it would make most sense to count two records for udoom episode runs, an 'M8 record' and an 'M7 record', and let people run and care about whichever they choose.

Oh, one other point, on death glides in movie runs: there's a very sensible logical reason to allow them. Just think about why deaths are *generally* not allowed in movie runs: because it's essentially an infinite retry. Again due to the old limitation of only being able to time runs by in-game time. We could only score any given movie run as the sum of the in-game time for each level - and the in-game time for a level is only the time for the *successful* attempt. So if deaths were generally allowed in movie runs, say you got to E1M6 and things went a bit sideways, no problem - just take a death and try again! That's obviously not what we wanted the category to be, hence the rule 'deaths aren't allowed'. With that in mind, it's easy to see why a death glide should be OK - because it's *not a retry*. You still complete the level on the attempt where you took the death, and your in-game time for the level is the time for the attempt on which you died. One way to make this explicit would simply be to clarify the rule to say "you may not die and respawn on a single level in a movie run", because that's really what was intended to be prohibited.

It's cool to see all the better-than-competn runs in here, and especially zeromaster's awesome-looking times - I'll have to watch some of those tomorrow :)

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

We could only score any given movie run as the sum of the in-game time for each level - and the in-game time for a level is only the time for the *successful* attempt. So if deaths were generally allowed in movie runs, say you got to E1M6 and things went a bit sideways, no problem - just take a death and try again! That's obviously not what we wanted the category to be, hence the rule 'deaths aren't allowed'. With that in mind, it's easy to see why a death glide should be OK - because it's *not a retry*. You still complete the level on the attempt where you took the death, and your in-game time for the level is the time for the attempt on which you died.

Interesting point.... makes me wonder if same logic could be used for co-op runs. Player1 dies instantly at the start of a level midway during movie run, but Player2 uses some emergency tactics and still pulls ok time for the level -> Run continues as the time is still easy to count? :-)

3 hours ago, kubelwagon185 said:

Are you the kubelwagon that was playing at Games Done Quick?

Looper: co-op was always kinda a later addition for compet-n and I never really played it seriously, so I don't have much of an opinion there :)

BTW, in case anyone's confused by my reply to kubelwagon's post - he posted it to the COMPET-N thread, I replied, then both posts were moved here by a mod. I think he *is* the same kubelwagon, yes - at least the text file says 'James "Kubelwagon" Gray' and if you google "kubelwagon" "james gray" you get a few SDA and GDQ results. So, hi kubelwagon, cool to have you here! Thanks for representing OG doom at GDQs :)

On 7/1/2018 at 4:34 AM, Looper said:

Are you the kubelwagon that was playing at Games Done Quick?

Are you the Looper? I'm star struck. :D Your 23:25 Doom 2 run was probably one of the first "modern" Doom runs I've seen and one of my inspirations. Nice to finally meet you!

Yep, that was me. I'm surprised people remember that, haha. That was back when I had only been running for maybe a year or two. Honestly, I had always hoped that one of the old school Doom pros like stx-vile, Xit Vono or Adam Hegyi would have gone to give the game a proper showing. But, it seemed like that would never happen, so I decided to take up the mantle myself.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:42 AM, AdamW said:

Good job on the run (haven't watched it yet), but - demos recorded with a source port (as your text file says yours was) aren't eligible for COMPET-N, or this thread. Only demos recorded with the appropriate original .EXE are eligible for COMPET-N.

Dang. Ah well, that's understandable. At least I can still submit to DSDA.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, AdamW said:

So, hi kubelwagon, cool to have you here! Thanks for representing OG doom at GDQs :)

Thanks for the compliments :). Yeah, one of my biggest worries back then was that the more seasoned Doomers wouldn't be satisfied with my performance. But, a lot of people I talked to afterward said they enjoyed it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about official COMPET-N eligibility, I think most people consider demos recorded on highly-compatible ports like chocolate or cndoom to be just as impressive :) I think it's only a few of us old-timers now who play under full COMPET-N conditions and it's as much about familiarity as anything else. It'd just be good if DSDA had all the COMPET-N records so we could see the overall WR for any run easily...

I'd kinda like to do a GDQ some time but I don't know if I could get spousal approval for that trip, haha :)

19 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I wouldn't worry too much about official COMPET-N eligibility, I think most people consider demos recorded on highly-compatible ports like chocolate or cndoom to be just as impressive :) I think it's only a few of us old-timers now who play under full COMPET-N conditions and it's as much about familiarity as anything else. It'd just be good if DSDA had all the COMPET-N records so we could see the overall WR for any run easily...

I'd kinda like to do a GDQ some time but I don't know if I could get spousal approval for that trip, haha :)

DSDA should have all the Compet-N records, if any are missing, it's generally something that should be reported in the DSDA thread. Maybe some exceptions would be demos from the contests, but those were pretty specific categories? Also, the nomos I guess, but Compet-N doesn't have the right records there either, all that stuff is either on DSDA or hidden in P-DANG which has too much stuff in it for anyone to look through.

Regarding ports, as far as I'm concerned anything up to pr+ is a valid record, which is a common attitude among newer runners. Vanilla and CNDoom are very sparingly used at this point, other Chocolate-based ports have some more following, but still far dwarfed by pr+ at this point I think.

"DSDA should have all the Compet-N records, if any are missing, it's generally something that should be reported in the DSDA thread."

Oh, cool - I'd seen some posts from around the place suggesting some compet-n stuff was missing from DSDA, I guess that's old info then.

I do think the monster and secret count features of prboom-ish ports give an "unfair" (in comparison to stock) advantage for categories where kill % and secret % are significant. Outside of that it doesn't seem significant, though. (Assuming an appropriate complevel is used of course.)

Haha, thanks zeromaster. I was reading through this thread yesterday and you sure have a lot of amazing-sounding demos here, never thought anyone would make 4:57 for episode 1 (frankly I was surprised when vile put in the time to beat my 5:11, haha). I'll try and find time to watch them through ASAP! And maybe see if I can survive an episode run any more to take just one of them off you at least, no-one should own all the episode records at once...;)

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

(frankly I was surprised when vile put in the time to beat my 5:11, haha)

I don't know if any of my records still stand but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. :P

1 minute ago, Vile said:

I don't know if any of my records still stand but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. :P

Sure, tons of them do - just look at your compet-n page - https://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=compet-n_database&cndb=&wad_id=1&category_id=&map_id=&player_id=39&h=&sort=&order=

some of those have been beaten with source ports (see this thread and others), but a lot of them haven't.

Some of those are from 2001... has it really been that long since then?   Speed-runners can go fast but time needs to slow the hell down.

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

I do think the monster and secret count features of prboom-ish ports give an "unfair" (in comparison to stock) advantage for categories where kill % and secret % are significant.

Bear in mind that some (or maybe many - I don't have a sense what the proportion is nowadays) Prboom+ users don't employ those counters, and have the "secret revealed" message turned off, avoiding these unfair advantages.

5 hours ago, kubelwagon185 said:

I'm surprised people remember that, haha.

Well, too late to ask the same question as Looper. It's kind of sad that there wasn't too much about Classic Doom lately in these type of marathons.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:21 PM, 4shockblast said:

E2M8 Tyson in 4:43.

t2m8-443.zip

Thank you for overcoming the inner perfectionism and posting this! What surprised me was it's very different than the pacifist, this alone making it a very valuable entry.