Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

Ultimate Doom demos [-complevel 3]

A strange bug happened, the file I submitted above appears with a normal file extension on my computer but gets .zip.zip when I upload it here. I hope it still works. ;-(

13 hours ago, MathsDevil said:

A strange bug happened, the file I submitted above appears with a normal file extension on my computer but gets .zip.zip when I upload it here. I hope it still works. ;-( 

Same naming issue happens with your lmp file... Are you sure you're showing extensions on your computer? (image shown, in french but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what option it is.)

Woo5.png

On 9/29/2022 at 5:00 PM, MathsDevil said:

Episode 3 UV Speed + Reality in 7:25, (cutting 4:04 off my previous record!)

Please list me on the DSDA as 'PJ Plays Doom'. Thanks. 

ep3_725reality.zip.zip

Oof, this is a real shame, but this run is recorded in cl21. :/ Do you want it uploaded as incompatible?

Hey 4ShockBlast,

How could this happen? I know I typed 'complevel 3' when recording the demo, I really need to know why! 

I used dsda-doom-0.24.3 on Windows 11 and had a batchfile for recording attempts 'dsda-doom -iwad doom.wad -complevel 3 -warp 3 1' 

Thanks for telling me, I just am in disbelief.

Also, how can you tell it's complevel 21, because it played back OK in my version, but I suppose if that version is faulty then maybe that explains it. I just need to fully understand.

Edit: I just saw the recording of one of my Twitch streams and the batchfile didn't specify the complevel! For some reason I missed that command out. Is complevel 21 a default? Also, I still need to know how you can tell it's complevel 21 so that I can more easily troubleshoot in case I make such a mistake again in future!

Edited by MathsDevil : thought of something else to say

42 minutes ago, MathsDevil said:

Also, how can you tell it's complevel 21, because it played back OK in my version, but I suppose if that version is faulty then maybe that explains it. I just need to fully understand.

If you didn't force cl3 for your playback, it read the cl from the demo file, which is cl21 in this case. The port will automatically use all the calculation logic from cl21 instead of cl3 because the demo file tells it to do so.

Thanks, GarrettChan, but I'm still not sure of the logic involved because I just played back the demo forcing complevel 3 and it played correctly. I exited in 7:25 with no damage taken. So how can I observe the problem myself? I just used 'dsda-doom -iwad doom.wad -complevel 3 -playdemo att2073faulty' 

Attempting to force a complevel for playback only works if it is the same binary format (i.e. normally just to force a different 1.9 vanilla behaviour). Otherwise it is ignored. It is rather rare to need to force a complevel for playback.

You could observe the problem for yourself by looking at the lmp file in a hex editor or using a lmp tool of some sort. The program will generally do its best to play back a demo correctly, which is normally what you want.

If most of your demo recording is in vanilla complevels, then you could set this as your default in the cfg. This would avoid this sort of problem, but care would be needed if you were switching between Boom, UDoom and Doom2 wads. So best also to specify in the command line in any case when recording.

Thanks, Grazza. I do trust 4ShockBlast, I suppose I just want to spot the 'desynch' for myself. I will be extra careful to specify the complevel in future. Out of interest, though, what sort of gameplay difference does complevel 21 actually make? 

3 minutes ago, MathsDevil said:

Thanks, Grazza. I do trust 4ShockBlast, I suppose I just want to spot the 'desynch' for myself. I will be extra careful to specify the complevel in future. Out of interest, though, what sort of gameplay difference does complevel 21 actually make? 

It's not exactly a desync; the demo plays back, but just wrong complevel. But yeah, best bet is checking the demo in a hex editor or textfile (or lmp tool) as Grazza mentioned. There are many differences between cl21 and 3, but for example:

• Different RNG in-game and more RNG starting seeds
  • Wallruns behave differently and work in non-standard directions
  • Different collisions
  • Glides tend to be harder
  • Objects are possible to pass through on death (Boom feature)
  • Monsters falling off ledges

Most other differences are with how certain line actions work in-game, probably wouldn't affect the IWADs, but can affect certain maps, and this could lead to even maps without any Boom/MBF specials to be occasionally impossible to complete or max because certain floors may not lower or raise as expected, particularly in cases where things may block them on cl2 and not on cl9 (not sure about vice versa). There's probably other minor differences or something I'm forgetting, but that's the big stuff.

Thanks, 4Shockblast, I'm enjoying doing attempts again on complevel 3, hopefully I get a good one quite soon. Also, the change in complevel doesn't seem to be making anything harder, so my strategy didn't depend on the complevel 21 in any way.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:10 PM, NeverGr4dyVHS12 said:

, and zo.zip

DOOM HANGER RUN NOMO 9.89

Hi, there are several problems with your demo:

1. It's recorded in cl21 AKA MBF21, which is the default DSDA-Doom complevel. You should be using cl3 for Doom 1, by passing -complevel 3 to your batch file. Otherwise, I will have to mark it as an Other incompatible demo.
  2. It's recorded in skill 3; this doesn't affect E1M1 per se, but in general, you should record nomos on skill 4.
  3. You should specify the exact version of the port used in your txt; it doesn't matter so much for DSDA-Doom, but it is important in general.
  4. Your txt is decent, but I recommend formatting all the lines to be separated by colons, which helps me parse them automatically more easily. See example at the end of the comment.
  5. Please use the appropriate naming for your demo and txt; o.lmp is not very descriptive. Naming is possible to infer from the DSDA page for a wad; for this run, it would be e1m1o009 or e1m1o989 or n1o1-009 or n1o1-989. The takeaway is: first four-ish characters are the wad and map key (e.g., e1m1 for Doom 1 e1m1, lv24 for Doom 2 map 24, sc13 for Scythe map 13), the middle character is the category (in IWADs and CN WADs, the category could also be part of the first four chars like n1o1), and the last three-ish numbers are the time, which may include the tics, as is commonly done for sub-10s runs.
  6. Please name your lmp, txt, and zip the same. Also avoid using spaces in filenames.
  7. I strongly suggest not including your email address in your txts, it's best to keep details like that private to be on the safe side.

Also, FYI, Hanger is TNT map 5, Hangar is Doom E1M1. :) Example txt:

PWAD: something.wad
PWAD Name: Name
Map: ##
Skill: 4
Category: UV-Max
Exe: DSDA-Doom #.##.# complevel ##
Recorded on: Date
Time: #:##
Author: player_name
Description:

Episode 4 UVMAX in 21:54 (-1:40)

ep4m-2154.zip

Please note that due to bugs in these maps, E4M3 can only collect 90% secrets (Due to two of the secrets being stuck under torches) and E4M7 can only collect 50% secrets due to one secret being too small to trigger, and the second being too high to walk on.

My first demo based Episode record. While there is a lot of improvement that can be done (Cleaning up the red key grab on E4M6 which lost me 20 seconds, and some better BFG usage), dropping the record by not one but two minute barriers is quite nice.

20:XX and maybe even 19:XX is more then possible with this route.

E2M5 NM100S in 1:45.71 (-6.29)

Edit: Got a much better run right after posting this one 💀

N2S5-145.zip

Edited by T0yOta

On 10/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, 4shockblast said:

Thank you shock I’m sorry I’m new to this and I have pretty much no idea what I’m doing I tried my best but thank you for telling me what I need to do your a legend