Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryback

Hell Revealed 2 demos [-complevel 2]

kimo_xvirus said:
Map14 UV Speed in 1:03

Now it's what can be called "pure speed and carnage". An outstanding style of playing hardcore, ultra-violent kind of speedruns. For the first 40-45 hours of trying, I haven't beaten it yet -- I only equalled 1:03 three times.

Good luck with improving MAP07 (if you wish)!

Incredible! I actually thought 1:03 would be beyond keyboard limit, but you proved me wrong :)
I'm astonished that you spend so much time to beat a run, it's an honorable thing.
Also one second improvement when getting close to optimal isn't any small improvment you know ;)
I won't try to improve this run unless you ask me, however I don't know when I'll improve h207 as I'm not motivated for speedrunning atm nor do I have much time.

TimeOfDeath said:

Yeah, I remember playing hr map22 before. I might try it, unless you or someone else wants to. :)

Phml is right, the HR22 cleanup can be speeded up a lot when playing it at a new degree of aggressiveness. Some of my personal ideas are rushing to the yellow key right at the start (using BFG of course), then going straight to the switch guarded by a cyberdemon in a little room. Releasing cybers and hordes of mid-level monsters as soon as possible will create a violent, effective monster VS monster battle.

So I also personally would like to see a new HR22 de-monstr-ation from you. I think you can even break Esko's TAS record in a real demo.

map 7 max in 7:24

Also got first 6 maps, but not posting yet as they are no record improvements. After whole wad gets completed, they'll be up ;)

hr2-07.zip

Ah, love intercepts overflow demos, thanks for sharing. Indeed, "lol" is the best way to describe that run: the fuckers simple walked in through the walls and much looting, pillage and raep ensued!

BTW, watching HR2 demos makes me wonder why the authors bothered with all those thousands of ammo boxes. A simple DEH patch like that used in Nostril Caverns would make their maps a lot less cluttered and probably improve the flow, too. :P

It's sweet to see fresh beaters of Radek's HR2 records, j4rio! What's next -- maybe MAP18? It can be done in far under 10 minutes, especially when using the more modern way of BFGing the cyberdemons.

My way of playing is rather different from most of guys here. I prefer doing more amount of runs, or rather playthroughs of wads with halfdecent times, instead of focusing on single map. I try to beat a record only if I see something very much possible to improve. Well, so far got TNT in 1 month, scythe2 in 2 months and now HR2, so far at map 10 in one week.

Even those 2 maps I've just taken over should be very easy to improve. If the intercept overflow wouldn't happen in that demo, and I'd survive, it would be 4:25 or 26.

j4rio said:
Well I've to say that many of current hr2 maxes with fastest times are really literally "records". Vincent's map 15 for example is, imho, one genius demo as I could get only 17:XX after almost week spent with that damn map.

Maybe you are currently unused to optimize long maps with varied, complex gameplay which require a lot of planning and memorizing. But with enough motivation, you'll get more experienced with this type of max runs in the future, and one day you'll be able to get a faster time than 14:34. Vince is right that it's possible to push below 11 or even 10 minutes (with thoroughly calculated strategy innovations, of course).

But you are skilled on more monolithically slaughter-oriented (and preferably shorter) maps, so the records on levels 8, 13, 25 are beatable for you.

j4rio said:

Well I've to say that many of current hr2 maxes with fastest times are really literally "records". Well I've to say that many of current hr2 maxes with fastest times are really literally "records".

I remember making an offhand remark about Belial's h203-622 on your YT page, in that a sub-5:30 should be possible. None of the Maxes for HR2, except possibly SAV's own h214-247 or Kimo's h230-131, are remotely close to being optimized. I would wager that with enough effort, a low 1:2x is possible for MAP30, and 2:3x possible for MAP14. The huge multidimensional maps like 29 have extremely impressive records, but even then, I can see possible improvements (wih TONS of effort, of course).

tl;dr - there are no unbeatable records. :)

Of course, every "record" can be broken, well but sometimes it's like awaiting a winning in lottery. I don't think any demo over 5 minutes long can be considered optimal. There is always the luck factor. Hell, I believe as well using SAV's route map 14 can be faster, by second or two at least. I tried his route and were it not for few stupid stair fallings, it'd be 2:5X in first exit. And I didn't even telefrag one cyborg.

map 3 is possible to do faster if you do AV jump to rockets platform, but since map is almost 3/4 clean by that point, it'll require a maniac to beat it this way

Qaatar said:

I remember making an offhand remark about Belial's h203-622 on your YT page, in that a sub-5:30 should be possible. None of the Maxes for HR2, except possibly SAV's own h214-247 or Kimo's h230-131, are remotely close to being optimized. I would wager that with enough effort, a low 1:2x is possible for MAP30, and 2:3x possible for MAP14. The huge multidimensional maps like 29 have extremely impressive records, but even then, I can see possible improvements (wih TONS of effort, of course).

Well, in 2009 I thought that 2:47 is quite a good time, but now I see that my old-skill H214-247 demo has not only some crude movements and unnecessary delays, but also some strategic shortcomings. When reentering the starting area, it's much better to rush directly to the supercharger instead of messing around it after the cleanup (which also can be done faster). And it was inefficient to use SSG for the last HK before the end. So maybe I'll revisit "Metal Meltdown" later to improve it some more, by 15 seconds or so.

ToD's improvement on MAP29 was truly revolutionary, though a few minutes can be cut further with tons of effort, especially when taking a shortcut to the BFG. And I agree that even the MAP30 record can be pushed down to low 1:2X.

gggmork said:

I'm pretty sure this is the hell revealed (1) demo thread by the way. Not sure if there's a hr2 thread.

It is. Maybe our offtopic will be split up there.

EDIT: Yes, it was moved right here.

HR2 Map15 Uv-Max in 11:23

3:11 faster than the current record. People don't seem to care much about this level I guess.

And I can't believe I actually entered that teleporter! I don't feel like redoing this, though.

-Complevel 2

h2151123.zip

SAV88 said:

ToD's improvement on MAP29 was truly revolutionary

Indeed. It was my inspiration for my MAP15 UV-Max :)

j4rio said:

heey, pretty awesome :)

I guess that map was just hating me

There are thousands of ways to die and I'm sure I tested most of them. Of course I had much better demos in which I died, missed an Imp, wasted BFG shots, etc.

There's just too many things that can go wrong in this map, especially thanks to agressive playing. I might try do get a lower time but just...not now.

1ntru said:

There are thousands of ways to die and I'm sure I tested most of them. Of course I had much better demos in which I died, missed an Imp, wasted BFG shots, etc.

There's just too many things that can go wrong in this map, especially thanks to agressive playing. I might try do get a lower time but just...not now.

Still, your debut demo is surprising in a really good way. You joined the group of modern-class recorders who keep a fast, drastic pace of playing in long heavy levels (like Tatsurd-cacocaco or TimeOfDeath).

And a brilliant time of 9:XX is also possible for you (even if not today).

1ntru said:

HR2 Map15 Uv-Max in 11:23

3:11 faster than the current record. People don't seem to care much about this level I guess.

And I can't believe I actually entered that teleporter! I don't feel like redoing this, though.

-Complevel 2

Wow! These past six months have been pretty cool, with all of you skilled demo recorders popping out of the woodwork. Great job!

SAV88 said:

Still, your debut demo is surprising in a really good way. You joined the group of modern-class recorders who keep a fast, drastic pace of playing in long heavy levels (like Tatsurd-cacocaco or TimeOfDeath).

And a brilliant time of 9:XX is also possible for you (even if not today).

Qaatar said:

Wow! These past six months have been pretty cool, with all of you skilled demo recorders popping out of the woodwork. Great job!

Wow, I definitely wasn't waiting for such good viewer response. A comparison to TimeOfDeath or Tatsurd is just amazing to hear!! I'm now struggling out on a good way to Youtube that demo.

And honestly? 9:XX sounds out of my league to me but would be just outstanding.

10:30-ish sounds more like it.

This was a royal pain in the nuts and probably harder than it looks. A long linear sequence with a lot of luck based parts. Lots of attempts at the first parts then when I finally got to the first cyber w/ the bfg, I killed him and did the rest in one try.

hr2-17-uvmax-cl2-955-ggg.zip

Yours 18 was entertaining but looks like too much stuff to study/memorize. I tried 15 a few times but the 2 imps at the beginning plus killing the mancubus, and the luck of getting all the cells without getting blasted off, is like a long boring punishment for each retry. I like hr1 more.

ClumsyDoomer said:

HR2 map04 UV -nomonsters run in 0:24. Complevel 2, PrBoom+ 2.5.0.7, TAS.

hmm, you don't need the yellow key + you can press the red door while falling :-) (check my 16s nomo demo if interested)