Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryback

Hell Revealed 2 demos [-complevel 2]

wow, what's just... wow. one of the worst heartbreakers i've ever seen.

Ouch. I felt horrible just by watching that :( I can't even imagine what it would feel like as a player when something like that would happen. Well, I hope you have the willpower left to do the run once more.

meh, that's kinda like missing one imp in a map with 10000 monsters. I'd say screw the rules, j4rio wins.

DooMer 4ever said:

Ouch. I felt horrible just by watching that :( I can't even imagine what it would feel like as a player when something like that would happen. Well, I hope you have the willpower left to do the run once more.

No hard feelings tbh. Shit happens. If the map wasn't so malfunctioning, I wouldn't mind replaying it. There are 12 linedefs releasing stuff way too likely to skip and there's usually no way to notice you skipped them until much later into run, also ocassional all-ghost bug because -cl2... blah. I'll probably replay it sometime, just unlikely to do so anytime soon. Maybe it'll help inspire somebody meanwhile.

heh that was unlucky, mastermind was like "no under 10 mins for you muwhaha" :p and cool route btw ;)

I wonder if you'll attempt it. Would be awesome, your playstyle is at least 1000% better. :)

Most unexpected final plot twist in ever, haha. Goddamn that must've been annoying to screw it up like that, but 10/10 either way on a fun factor scale.
Also agree with j4rio, would be awesome to see Okuplok spending some 8-9mins on this map >:D

ha ha ha, that demo epitomizes what it means to play doom. It was programmed by trolls. I swear that maes or someone snuck some code into prboom+ that makes the random number generator learn and repeatedly roll the numbers that best kill and aggravate the player.
that's an excellent time though. I barely even remember what triggers what in that map. It needs some visual guidance, like each quadrant textured differently or something.
Yeah, that demo inspires me... NOT to play that map anymore.

Doom speed demos, aka how to cope with rng.

I think rng works perfectly, it's just our brain trying to handle it in such awkward manner that all utter annoyances get transcribed onto our memory card and every instance when it worked like a charm is forgotten evetually.
Thanks for the route ideas btw, Mr.Pianistfishavatar.

j4rio, that's probably the slowest uv-speed demo I've ever seen... ;)

gggmork said:

Yeah, that demo inspires me... NOT to play that map anymore.

I promised myself that the last time I played it. It's such a dick map for rushing and it seems like the rushier you are the dickier it is.

j4rio said:

There are 12 linedefs releasing stuff way too likely to skip

Is this a boom thing, or just doom in general? I've been encountering this with frustratingly increasing frequency.

also, wow at that demo -.-

Ribbiks said:

Is this a boom thing, or just doom in general?

General: boom, vanilla, mbf... I belive it was fixed in ZDoom though.

There is a theory that diagonal lines are less likely to malfunction. pic: on the right the player has more area to trip the linedef. I don't know if that's true but I always make trigger linedefs in my maps diagonal just in case. Who knows, maybe it will save some speedrunner a hour or two. :)

j4rio said:

ocassional all-ghost bug because -cl2

Turn off intercepts overflow emulation. That way, if you trigger an overflow, you'll at least have a demo recorded (rather than it being trashed on the spot), even if it doesn't play back with Doom2.exe. If there is no overflow, then the demo will be Doom2.exe-compatible in any case.

Be sure to keep spechits overflow emulation turned on though.

I know about that possibility, but it makes playback annoyance. I'd rather have it recorded without requirement of changing settings even if it might take more tries.

Ancalagon said:

Map32 max in 9:54
J4rio's route, but kills the spider this time :D

while watching the demo I started to think you'd exit in 8min lol
I like how you left alive the longest possible the cyberdemon, but I guess you were a bit unlucky with 2-3 archvile resurrecting the shiz out of the crap on the floor in a couple corners... otherwise ive no idea where you lost time, since the exit line is same as j4rio's :o

Finally! After almost nine years someone sat down and beat my crappy demo :) Of course, the reason is obvious: this damn secret :)

BTW, I renamed the demo on my disk to h204-239, so it would be consistent with the naming of other demos.

Donce said:

BTW, I renamed the demo on my disk to h204-239, so it would be consistent with the naming of other demos.

that would be the correct nomenclature, of course.

Let me guess before watching: arch-vile jump?

heh, my expectations were too high, still a very nice run.

You mean av jump to the rockets and then use them on barons? That's a great idea, I guess even 4:high is possible this way. Not sure if I want to try it heh.