Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Memento Mori demos [-complevel 2]

Cyberdemon531 said:

Episode 3 UV Max* Movie in 1:34:24

*I got that bug on MAP29 where the pillar breaks, and couldn't max the map, so I just completed the run just for the sake of completing it because I didn't want to do any more EP3 runs. As a result of this, I also got lazy and missed some other guys, too. :(

Next stop: D2ALL

I tracked this down for you because I was curious what the problem was.

The ssg by the start is surrounded by walk triggers that lower the switch wall that covers the red key, sector 135. This sector has a walk trigger that causes the caco floor to get pushed upwards, which breaks it.

However, you can bump this red key, and thus you avoid crossing the ssg walk lines and prevent the caco from getting blocked.

The reason it only sometimes caused a problem for you is probably because you can get the red key without entering the sector enough to trigger the walk line. Of course this also means that if you accidentally trigger the ssg lines you can still get the red key without breaking the caco if you just brush it carefully. (I tested this as well to be sure).

Lols at the ending. However, when you look at the kill counter in PrBoom+, it kind of spoils the category. This is a luxury which previous recorder(s) couldn't afford. May I ask you to switch it off for -respawns for fairness?

Like vdgg said, kill counter HUD has an unfair advantage in respawn. Similarly, kills/secrets HUD also has an unfair advantage in movie.

You avoided missing a secret in map 4 for HUD on your Ep1 max movie in 50:49. It would have been failed attempt if you did not use HUD. Vanilla doom do not have such convenient tool, so a compet-N player often spends time for checking enemies before exit in a very long movie run.

For example, D2ALL in MM would be over 4 hours. I don't want to use agressive strategy like missing monsetrs or secrets easily in the later maps, but HUD lets me use such strategy.

The records between HUD users and non-HUD users are not incomparalbe, especially respawn or movie. I deny using HUD for fair competition, but I cannot force everyone to do it. I just said that you should not use HUD and you should have correct understanding for fair competition.

I personally prefer having the advanced HUD on while playing, and I understand if you want to view my demos under a different light or so from the others, then that's fine with me. I feel like it is much easier and makes the runs look better as well. I'll make note of it in my demo txt files if that's any consolation. Technically, anything possible with the HUD is also possible without it. And even though it wouldn't be "fair comparison" or what have you, I hope you won't disregard mine or vice versa.

I would say it is Respawn+ or something like that if you use the advanced HUD, not the typical "Respawn". HUD OP in respawn and movies :D

Respawn in c-n is exceptionally stupid anyway, I'd say spoil the hell out of it with hud so that the category of praying for having enough kills and then exiting will be but a thing of the past that can remain there. At least it would make that "forbidden" category more tolerable, even enjoyable.

It's a little sad situation. Some people want to have a fair competition, and some want to make speedrunning more enjoyable by getting rid of some annoyances like missing a monster\secret and not noticing. Both sides have a good point and they can understand each other but they won't agree to play by the same rules. The best thing we can do is to always provide as much information about our runs as possible. So yeah, please at least make it 100% clear when you use the HUD.

Excellent. Now I'm curious as to how fast a TAS would be able to do it.

(Oh don't look at me, I'm not doing it)

This is a *TAS* demonstration of getting a BFG9000 on MAP14. I'm posting this here, because it is not really a run of any kind, more just a demo to prove that this is a thing. I might try to practice this for a real-time speed run, but we'll see. Would definitely be useful in a 30mm run, either max or speed, I would say.

But yeah, cool trick :)

mm14bfgarchvilejump.zip

Well this is hard but awesome. Maybe even Kristian R. didn't know about it? :-P

After trying for a long time, I managed to only get it once with saves non-tas. I doubt I'd be able to pull it off in the middle of a run, but it's still cool nonetheless, haha.